James Cook University (JCU) Brisbane Admission, Criteria & Application Deadlines 2021
James Cook University - Brisbane, is one of the oldest public universities in Australia. The university is located in Queensland and has campuses in various locations, Brisbane being one of them. JCU Brisbane has an enrollment of 21,972 students. The university hosts international students from 108 countries worldwide.
The University offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in the fields of accounting, business, education, hospitality and tourism and information technology. Apart from being one of the top 250 universities worldwide, JCU Brisbane is also one of the top 30 modern universities according to the Times Higher Education rankings.
Some points to be kept in mind while applying to James Cook University - Brisbane are as follows:
- The University follows a trimester based calendar.
- Programs offered by JCU Brisbane have 3 start dates in the months of March, July and November.
- International applicants are advised to apply early as the visa procedure may be lengthy.
- All transcripts not issued in English must be submitted along with official English translation.
- International applicants must fulfill the academic requirements as well as English language requirements.
- Academic transcripts of international applicants must be accompanied by the grading scale used by the previous institution where they studied.
- The University accepts IELTS, TOEFL-iBT and PTE scores as proof of English language proficiency.
- Entry requirements for some programs may also include relevant work experience.
- Applicants who do not fulfill the prerequisites must consider taking a pathway program.
|Application Portal||Online Application/ Through an Agent/ In-country managers|
|Application Fee (Non-Refundable)||N/A|
|Mode of Payment||Mastercard/ Visa|
|Academic Calendar||Tri Semester-based|
|Commencement Date||March, July and November|
|Work Experience||Not required|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, loans, grants available|
James Cook University - Brisbane Admission Deadlines
James Cook University - Brisbane has 3 start dates each year in the months of March, July and November. International students who require a student visa for study in Australia must select a suitable start date considering the length of the visa procedure. The start of teaching period 1 and teaching period 2 are given below:
|Semester 1||February 22|
|Semester 2||July 26|
James Cook University - Brisbane International Student Admissions
James Cook University welcomes international applicants for enrolling in undergraduate and graduate courses. International applicants can apply either through an agent or submit an online application to the university directly. Besides, all international applicants must fulfill the additional requirements as posed by the university which have been discussed below.
Application Portal: Online Application/ Agent/ In-country managers
Application Fee: N/A
Basic Admission Requirements: International candidates must fulfill the following requirements to be eligible for admission to the James Cook University - Brisbane:
- Official high school/ secondary and post-secondary academic transcripts and certificates with English translation, if required.
- Applicants must also send post/ fax scanned copies along with the original documents for assessment. The original copies must be notarized by either a registered agent of James Cook University or by a representative of the institution.
- Minimum GPA of 4.9 to 7.0 or 65-70%
- Students can send the admission materials to James Cook University via post or email in the following address:
James Cook University Brisbane
349 Queen Street
Brisbane Qld 4000
Or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
English Language Proficiency Requirements
International applicants whose native language is not English, should submit English proficiency test scores for admission. The minimum scores required as mentioned by the university are as follows:
Visa Process for International Students
All international students must apply for a student visa before entering Australia. Applicants will have to consult the nearest Australian Embassy, Consulate, or Higher Commission to apply for an Australian student visa. Aspirants must submit the following documents while applying for a visa:
- Course Enrolment Policy
- Copy of valid passport
- An electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE)
- Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Declaration of Finances form along with appropriate documentation
James Cook University - Brisbane Undergraduate Admissions
James Cook University offers undergraduate admissions in Hospitality & Tourism Management and Business with varied specializations. Candidates must apply online and submit the transcripts directly to the institution. Applicants must have completed 6 months of full-time study from a recognized institution with a minimum aggregate of 65 to 70%.
Where to Apply: Online Application
Application Fee: None
Admission Requirements: The admission requirements for undergraduates include:
- Completed application form
- Graduate year 12 in 2020 with an ATAR (ATAR to QTAC conversion grade 51.65); or
- Current OP/ Rank program (minimum grade 19/60)
- Academic transcripts and certificates from high school
- Proof of English language proficiency
Country Specific Requirements
The country specific requirements for international students are as follows:
|Country||Requirements||Grade for Bachelor of Business / Commerce / Tourism, Hospitality & Events||Grade for Bachelor of Information Technology|
|India||Senior/Higher Secondary Certificate All India Board/State Board||60-65%||65-70%|
|Bangladesh||Higher Secondary Certificate||3.5||3.9|
|Pakistan||Intermediate/Higher Secondary School Certificate||65%||70%|
|Nepal||HSEB Examination / NEB School Leaving Certificate Examination (Grade XI & XII)||66% or 2.9||70% or 3.2|
|Sri Lanka||General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level)||2.0||2.2|
James Cook University - Brisbane Graduate Admissions
James Cook University - Brisbane offers graduate programs in subject areas such as Accounting, Business Administration, Education, Hospitality and Tourism and Information Technology. The basic admission requirement for graduate programs is a completed bachelor’s degree. Additional requirements may vary from program to program.
Where to Apply: Online Application
Application Fee: N/A
Admission Requirements: Candidates applying for postgraduate programs must meet the following requirements as posed by the university which include:
- Applicants must have completed their bachelor’s degree with a minimum aggregate from a recognized university.
- Electronic copies of official academic transcripts and certificates translated in English.
- Applicants must also submit academic transcripts along with the grading scale used at the institution.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Copy of Passport
Admission requirements for some popular graduate programs are given in the table below:
|Requirements||Master of Business Administration (MBA)||Master of Information Technology – Master of Business Administration (MIT-MBA)||Master of Professional Accounting||Master of International Hospitality and Tourism Management||Master of Information Technology – Majoring in Computer & Networking|
|Start Date||March, July, November||March, July, November||March, July, November||March, July, November||March, July, November|
|Duration of the program||1.5 years||2 years||2 years||2 years||2 years|
|Entry Requirements||Completion of a recognised bachelor’s degree.||Completion of AQF Level 7 bachelor’s degree in Information Technology.||Completion of a recognised bachelor’s degree in any discipline except an accredited CPA/ ICAA.||Completion of AQF Level 7 bachelor’s degree in any discipline or practical experience.||Completion of a recognised bachelor’s degree in any discipline.|
|GMAT/ GRE||Not required||Not required||Not required||Not required||Not required|
James Cook University follows a competitive admission process which makes it necessary for candidates to maintain good academic records and apply for the program before the deadline. Ranked among the top 2% of universities in Australia, the institution is known for its exemplary learning resources, courses, and smooth admission process. The University does not conduct admission interviews.
Successful applicants receive a Letter of Offer from the university. Students must sign each page of the offer letter and fill the Acceptance and Payment form. If there are any conditions in the offer, students must make sure it is fulfilled before an unconditional offer is made.
Ques. Do I have to pay an application processing fee?
Ans. James Cook University - Brisbane does not charge any application processing fee.
Ques. What is the general level of English proficiency required for admission to various undergraduate and graduate programs?
Ans. International applicants whose first language is not English require a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5 or equivalent scores of TOEFL-iBT or PTE.
Ques. How are the admission decisions provided?
Ans. International students are sent the admission decisions through an email approval letter. The letter includes every detail of the student including tuition fees and course details, also the letter includes any other details left to be submitted by the applicants.
Ques. What type of scholarships are available to international students?
Ans. James Cook University - Brisbane awards Academic Excellence Scholarships, JCU Brisbane Scholarships and ASEAN Scholarships to students who fulfill the eligibility requirements.
Ques. What do I have to know about the ranking and selection method?
Ans. Students seeking entry to courses starting from 2021 must note that the ATAR will be replaced by the ranking and selection method. Every student will be assigned a rank based on their qualifications and the grading system followed to determine eligibility for the chosen program.