La Trobe Business School: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
La Trobe Business School is a part of the public university, La Trobe University and was established in 1967 while the business school was formed soon after. The School has been recognized by Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the highest business school standard, worldwide. Only 5% of the business schools worldwide have received this accreditation. Most programs offered by the school have also been accredited by the EPAS. It has the advantage of being located in Australia which is the 3rd most preferred destination among students for studying abroad.
Students at the school are taught by faculty members who have worked as entrepreneurs, analysts, consultants and managers of top organizations in Australia. The University has a total enrollment of almost 28000 students at the Melbourne campus and more than 7500 students at the other campuses. The total student population comprises about 7000 international students who come from 110 countries across the world to study in Australia.
Pursuing a bachelor’s degree from the La Trobe Business School is quite cheap compared to other popular universities offering a bachelor’s of business in Australia. Also besides being popular, the MBA program of the institution is affordable compared to other top ranking institutions offering MBA in Australia.
To help students understand the practical applicability of the curriculum taught, the programs offer professional placements in Australia and abroad for about 2 weeks. The institution has made its position in the top four that is above the world standard in research related to banking, finance and investment. The MBA program of the school is also ranked first in Victoria and online MBA has been ranked on the 3rd position among the top colleges across Australia.
- QS Rankings have placed the La Trobe Business School in the 51st position in the world university rank and top 75 for Masters in Business Analytics for 2020 and 32nd in the world for online MBA in 2019.
- Times Higher Education Rankings 2020 has given the institution World University rank 251-300th and 4th position for impact ranking.
- AWRU or Shanghai Ranking has placed the University in the top 45 for Hospitality and Tourism Management rankings, top 400 for business administration and top 500 for Economics in the year 2019.
|Parent University||La Trobe University|
|Mode of Program||Full-time and online|
|Accreditation Agency||Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)|
|No. of Campuses||7|
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- La Trobe Business School operates out of seven campuses in and around Australia.
- The main campus is at Melbourne and is just 14km’s from the centre of the city.
- The other six campuses in Australia are as follows: Albury-Wodonga, Bendigo, City, Mildura, Shepparton and Sydney.
- The Melbourne campus houses the special teaching and research facility, Centre for Sport and Social Impact and the Centre for Data Analytics and Cognition.
- La Trobe has over 36 student clubs and organizations representing different interests.
Housing Facilities/ Residence
- La Trobe offers housing options at all three of its campuses: Melbourne, Bendigo and Albury Wodonga campus.
- There are 7 different housing halls of the University both within and outside the Melbourne campus.
- All in-campus housing facilities offer single bedrooms with facilities like laundry, cafes, internet, common areas etc. within the residence hall.
- Residence options outside the campus have single, twin sharing, 2 to 6 bedroom apartments and couple rooms.
- All rooms come renovated with the basic furniture like desk, chair, wardrobe or closet space, dresser, drawer etc. Some housing halls in the campus also have the option of being catered or self-catering.
- La Trobe Business School offers different programs through three departments.
- The departments are: Department of Accounting and Data Analytics, Department of Economics, Finance and Marketing and Department of Management, Sport and Tourism.
- Popular undergraduate courses include Bachelor of Accounting and Bachelor of Business while at the postgraduate level MBA, Master of Business Analytics and Master of International Business are popular.
- The institute’s MBA program is ranked in top 10 globally and delivered over 1.5 years both on-campus and online. It is one of the few Australian universities with EPAS accreditation.
- The online MBA program has also been placed in the top 3 in Australia.
- The subjects offered through the business and management schools are among the top 400 worldwide.
La Trobe Business School Application Process
How to apply?
Application Portal: International student university application portal
Application Fee: No application fee
Basic Admission Requirements
- Undergraduate applicants are expected to demonstrate minimum 60% in both class 10th and class 12th scored from CBSE or ICSE board
- Graduate applicants must have at least Grade C or 60% scored in undergraduate degree.
- English proficiency test scores to study in Australia
Following tests and scores are accepted by the business school as a proof of English Proficiency:
|Exam||Minimum Requirements for Undergraduates||Minimum Requirements for Graduates|
|TOEFL (Paper based)||550||550|
|TOEFL (Internet based)||64 with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking and 21 in Writing||79 with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking and 21 in Writing|
|IELTS||6.0, no band less than 6.0||6.5, no band less than 6.0|
|PTE||50 with no communicative skill score less than 50||58 with no communicative skill score less than 50|
|CAE/ CPE||169 with no less than 169 in any component||176 with no less than 169 in any component|
|CPE||169 with no less than 169 in any component||169 with no less than 169 in any component|
Official high school/ college transcripts, Statement of Purpose, two or three letters of recommendation, resume, SAT/ ACT/ GRE/ GMAT scores, visa and passport.
La Trobe Business School Cost of Attendance
An international student has to bear personal and living expenses in addition to the annual tuition fee charged by the University. While tuition fees for programs are fixed, personal and living expenses differ according to the student’s preferences. The cost of living in Australia was estimated around 21,041 AUD by the Department of Home Affairs. A detailed summary of the cost of attendance for the La Trobe Business School is given in the table below:
|Tuition (Undergraduate programs)||AUD 32,200 to 34,600 annually|
|Tuition (Graduate program)||AUD 34,400 to 40,200 annually|
|Accommodation||AUD 200 to AUD 430 per week|
|Groceries and eating out||AUD 80 to AUD 280 per week|
|Gas and electricity||AUD 35 to AUD 140 per week|
|Phone and internet||AUD 20 to AUD 55 per week|
|Public Transport||AUD 15 to AUD 55 per week|
|Car (after purchase)||AUD 150 to AUD 260 per week|
|Entertainment||AUD 80 to AUD 150 per week|
Scholarships/ Financial aid
- International students have access to scholarships at La Trobe Business School.
- The La Trobe International Scholarship awards reductions of up to 25% on the course fees to undergraduate and postgraduate international students, subject to meeting eligibility criteria.
- In addition to scholarships awarded by the University, students can benefit from external fellowships and scholarships in Australia for international students.
- Graduates of the school applying for a full-fee postgraduate coursework program will get 10% fee reduction as alumni advantage.
- All scholarships available are limited and applications must be submitted as early as possible.
- Some commonly awarded scholarships with eligibility criteria and amount awarded are given in the table below:
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|Destination Australia||Must be an international student enrolled for first year undergraduate or postgraduate coursework; Study a full-time program at one of the regional campuses; Have minimum weighted average of 75 or equivalent.||15000 AUD per year (renewable up to 4 years)|
|La Trobe International Academic Scholarship||Must be an international student applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program.; Be a non-sponsored, full-fee paying student; Have minimum weighted average of 55-69.9 or equivalent.||15% of annual fees|
|La Trobe International Merit Scholarship||Must be an international student applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program.; Be a non-sponsored, full-fee paying student; Have minimum weighted average of 70-74.9 or equivalent.||20% of annual fees|
|La Trobe International Excellence Scholarship||Must be an international student applying for an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program; Be a non-sponsored, full-fee paying student; Have a minimum weighted average above 75 or equivalent.||25% of annual fees|
All graduates of the business school get to be a part of its alumni association where one enjoys various benefits like:
- Career assistance
- Lifelong learning opportunities with discounts
- Benefits on restaurants
- Invitation to school events
- Library membership
- Access to the school sports facilities etc.
Some well known La Trobe Business School alumni members are as follows:
- Scott Pape, Founder the Barefoot Investor
- Marnie Baker, Managing Director Bendigo Bank
- Michael O’Keefe, CEO Aesop
- Maureen Wheeler AO, Founder Lonely Planet
- Andrew Muir, Founder the Good Guys
La Trobe Business School has a dedicated career centre that helps students find jobs, internships, volunteering, skill building etc. It also participates in organizing career fairs, events and workshops. MBA graduates of the school receive about AUD 120,495annually which is among the highest starting salaries in Asia Pacific region after graduation. Almost 97% of the graduates find jobs within 3 months of graduation. Latrobe’s MBA graduates are known among employers for having almost 6 years of work experience before enrolling for the program.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #176 - #200
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #201 - #250
- Bus Station
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary