Sae Institute: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1976, SAE Institute, Australia is a dynamic center of learning which offers specialist vocational and higher education courses in the fields of Animation, Audio, Design, Film, Games, and Web & Mobile. Established by Tom Misner it is the world’s first school dedicated to Audio Engineering.
With 50 campuses in 20 countries, SAE Institute is a truly international player in digital media education. The institute strives to provide a global stage to its students by offering them progressive experience, personalized learning, and a collaborative ambiance. SAE Australia has a student body of over 3000 students.
|Type of Institute||Private|
|Application Portal||Online portal|
|Student Satisfaction Rate||79.4%|
|Number of Campuses||50+|
|Intake Sessions||February, June, and September|
|Admission helpdesk||+61 (07) 3850 2000|
|Mode of Program||On-campus and Online.|
SAE Institute Rankings
- It was ranked in the top 25 animation schools worldwide by International Animation Schools Review.
- The 2017 Student Experience Survey (SES) positions SAE in Australia’s top five ranked universities in areas such as Learner Engagement And Student Support.
- SAE Institute is ranked within the top 60 universities of Australia in 2020, as per Webometrics Ranking of World Universities.
SAE Institute Campus
- SAE Institute Australia has five strategically located campuses equipped with state-of-the-art technology. These include – Brisbane, Byron Bay, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, and Sydney.
- The Adelaide campus is located at the fringes of the Adelaide CBD. It is equipped with purpose-built recording studios and classrooms.
- The Brisbane campus is an award-winning architectural marvel. Several large digital and analog recording studios, a large multi-purpose film studio, and a rooftop balcony providing the city’s view are the prime highlights of this campus.
- SAE Melbourne is well resourced and has a very diverse student circuit. The campus includes nine audio studios, three world-class edit suites, a large green screen recording space, a student common room, etc.
- The Byron Bay campus is located in one of Australia’s most popular beachside destinations. The campus is equipped with 10 analog and digital recording studios, edit suites, a film theatre with cinema seating, a stacked library, and likewise.
- SAE Sydney campus is set across 7 levels, and is equipped with world-class facilities like 7 live recording rooms, 7 audio control rooms, two dedicated mixing rooms, five film editing suites, a student lounge, an Adobe creative suite, etc.
- SAE Institute, Australia has its own radio station known as Energy Groove Radio which broadcasts mostly music-centered content 24 hours from the Sydney campus.
- Several formal and informal arrangements are provided to students so that they can be an active part of the decision-making process of the institute. The Student Council, the Student-Staff Consultative Committees and Student Representatives to the Academic Board are three different forums for representation.
SAE Institute Residence
- SAE Byron Bay is the only campus in Australia to provide on-campus housing facilities to its students.
- Accommodation facilities include twin share rooms with communal kitchen, dining room, bathroom, and laundry facilities. Students are also provided with a dedicated recreational area with free Wi-Fi access.
- None of the other SAE Australia campuses offer on-campus accommodation. Students can opt for hostels, guesthouses, shared rental accommodation, etc.
- Homestays are another option for young students to experience Authentic Australian life and culture. The cost of homestays ranges from AUD 160 to AUD 300 per week.
SAE Institute Programs
- SAE Institute, Australia offers Diplomas, Associate Degrees, Bachelor’s Degrees and Postgraduate Certificates and one PG Degree in the fields of Animation, Audio, Design, Film, Games, and Web & Mobile. All SAE degrees are of a duration of 2 years.
- The postgraduate programs offered by the institute include Master of Creative Industries, Graduate Diploma, and Graduate Certificate in Creative Industries.
- The Masters of Creative Industries program is offered via both on-campus and online modes.
- The courses offered at SAE Melbourne include an 80-hour internship so that students can develop their professional expertise.
- The institute is also offering two online short courses of 6 months, that is, Graduate Certificate in Hardware and Software Development for Emerging Technologies, and Undergraduate Certificate in Augmented and Virtual Reality Application Development.
SAE Institute Admission Process
Applicants can apply for SAE Institute admissions in the intake sessions of February, June, and September.
Application Portal: SAE Application Portal
- Undergraduate Admission Requirements:
- Applicant must be 18 years or older
- English proficiency scores: IELTS – 6.0, TOEFL IBT – 73, TOEFL PBT – 550
- Official High School Transcripts
- Graduate Admission Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree or higher in media productions (completed within the last 10 years)
- English Language Proficiency Scores: IELTS – 6.5, TOEFL IBT - 79-93 (minimum score of 23 in writing), TOEFL 550-583 (minimum score of 4.5 in writing)
- SAE Institute, Australia also provides experience-based admissions to both undergraduate and postgraduate aspirants who do not meet the basic educational requirements. Experience-based Admission Requirements:
- Relevant work experience (minimum of 5 years for postgraduate courses)
- Minimum 10 years of schooling
- Cover letter
- Interview (if necessary)
- Written Test (if necessary)
SAE Institute Cost Of Attendance
The tuition fee for various programs is tabulated below:
|Programs||Cost (In AUD)|
|Diploma – 2 trimesters minimum||26,304|
|Associate Degree – 4 trimesters minimum||48,256|
|Bachelors – 6 trimesters minimum||70,208|
|Postgraduate Programs||1350 - 2,700 USD Per Elective Course|
Cost of Living depends upon one’s preferences. The general estimated cost of living is tabulated below:
|Accommodation||AUD 85 to AUD 440 / week|
|Groceries and related expenses||AUD 80 to AUD 280/ week|
|Transport||AUD 15 to AUD 55/ week|
|Entertainment||AUD 80 to AUD 150/ week|
SAE Institute Financial Aid
- SAE Australia does not offer scholarships to international students. Applicants can check here for Top Scholarships in Australia offered to International Students.
- A wide range of scholarships are provided to domestic students. For example, Excellence in Creative Media Scholarship, Kickstarter Grants, Creative Indigenous Scholarship, etc.
- The annual scholarship program commences in July and closes on October 30.
SAE Institute Alumni
SAE Australia boasts of a very strong alumni network. Mentioned below are a few notable alumni.
- Tim Berner - Audio Engineer/Musician
- Asha Hay - Freelance Sound Engineer
- Sarah Khalaf - TV Producer
- Nathan Sharp - Independent Game Developer
SAE Institute Placements
- SAE Australia offers unique and highly sought after work placement opportunities to all its Bachelor students.
- The placement of students is tailored in consultation with the dedicated campus Industry Liaison Coordinator.
I applied to many universities, but this was the first one to accept me. I applied using a standard application form on college online portal and paid no application fee. During the admissions process, they requested that I have my 9.2 GPA from high school for verification.
Course Curriculum :
My course was extensive and had a demanding syllabus. Many of the topics were well-explained and descriptively presented. My curriculum had all the subjects which were required for my development.
After completing my 12th from India, I wanted to continue my education in the same direction in the United States. I applied to many colleges and was accepted to a few of them. I picked this college because of its excellent reputation. Because of my strong academic credentials, I was also chosen.
Course Curriculum :
Operating Systems and Systems Programming, Compilers, Software Design Studio, Program Analysis and Optimizations, Interactive Computer Graphics, and many other subjects were discussed during my college years.
I found out about SAE from my cousin who completed a diploma there and I wasn't studying at the time and he took me for a tour of the campus and it really looked like a cool place to study. The courses are really hands-on and the main thing I hated in highschool was that everything was out of the books or a teacher telling you what to do and how to do it.
I didn't get the best grades in highschool and SAE were very accepting of students of all grades. The course explores all aspects of audio from music, film and all the way to games. I didn't think I would ever get into post-production but now I am majoring in it and I really enjoy the work. The course really has opened my eyes into the audio field.
I opted for SAE as it had an amazing reputation when asking other people who have graduated. In this institute, students are being taught by industry professionals who are actual filmmakers who work in the industry.
Course Curriculum :
Although we could use more time for projects as in fact the amount of time we spend for pre-production for projects such as documentaries and short films are not enough to then go out and shoot and then have to do a post as well.
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary