Master of Design in Canada takes around 18-30 months to complete. It is awarded by only a few selected universities in Canada and costs approximately 20,000 CAD to 40,000 CAD per year. For an Indian student, this cost equals around 11-16 LPA. Prerequisite knowledge of design, a strong sense of color, and a general perception of art is considered enough for pursuing a Master of Design.
International students making applications for masters of design from Canada must send in a strong portfolio as it can either make or break your applications. Once you have completed your masters in design you can earn as much as 60,000 CAD at an entry-level in Canada.
Why Study Master of Design in Canada
- The jobs in Canada for graphic designers and illustrators are expected to increase by 2026 to a total of 21,400, as per the Job Bank Report published by the Government of Canada.
- The salary of graphic designers has also been increasing in the country by up to 4%, since 2016. Not only this, upgrading from bachelor to master's degree increases the salary of a graphic designer by 41%. Thus, more students are opting for Masters in Design in Canada.
Master of Design in Canada: Top Universities
Master of Design in Canada is offered by some of the top universities of Canada such as the University of Alberta, Concordia University, etc. Students can also choose to opt for a Masters in Design with various other specializations such as industrial design, environmental design, innovative automobile planning, architectural, and engineering design.
Some of the renowned universities offering Masters in Design in Canada are:
|University||QS News Rankings 2019||Program Fee (in CAD)|
|University of Alberta||113||$21,000|
|Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD)||-||$28,333|
|Emily Carr University of Art and Design (ECUAD)||-||$35,996|
Master of Design in Canada: Course Details
Masters in Design in Canada is a 1.5 to a 2.5-year program offered by the School of Arts of the respective universities. It combines the theoretical, practical, and research approach to teach students about design studies. Students have to study certain core and elective subjects as a part of the degree. This practice-based degree is designed for creative professionals at forefront of design.
Some of the core subjects taught in Master of Design in Canada are Design Theory, Research Methods in Design, and Interdisciplinary Practices in Design. Visual Communication, Built Environment, and Interaction Design is the major focus of this program. A thesis is required to be submitted in the last year for the successful completion of the degree which is cultivated throughout the program.
Master of Design in Canada: Admissions
Students with a bachelor's degree in design or relevant work experience can apply for a Masters in Design in Canada.
Where to Apply: Students need to visit the online application portal of the desired university, pay the fees, and submit the requisite information to complete the application process.
Master of Design in Canada: Admissions Eligibility
- A Bachelor’s degree or a Diploma degree with a GPA greater than or equal to the cutoff specified by the university.
- High School and Senior School Transcripts
- A proper Curriculum Vitae or Resume showing grades, extra-curricular activities, areas of interest, the position of responsibility, work experience, etc.
- Portfolio of creative work according to the guidelines of the university.
- Some other documents like writing samples, statement of purpose, and preliminary research proposal (varies from university to university)
- At least 3 letters of reference. Some universities may also ask for a minimum of 2 references from academic backgrounds.
- Certificate showing prior learning and experience in the design field (if available). However, this doesn’t apply to all the universities as some universities also provide a one-year foundation course before M.Des to equip the students with skills required for successful completion of the degree.
- A valid Canadian student visa obtained from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) department.
Other university-specific requirements are as follows:
|University||Minimum Grades Required||IELTS||TOEFL|
|University of Alberta||B - grade or 78% overall||6.5||90|
|Carleton University||B - grade or 78% in all the courses||6.5||86|
|OCAD University||80% or B - grade overall or at least in the last 2 years of undergraduate degree||6.5||84|
|York University||B - grade or 78% overall||7.5||100|
|Concordia University||B - grade or 78% overall||6.5||90|
Admission Decisions for Master of Design in Canada
Once submitted, the applications are scrutinized by the admissions department of the university by analyzing the GPA, portfolio, English proficiency test scores, extra-curricular activities, referral forms, CV, etc. The whole application process takes a time of approximately 2-3 months including filling up the application form, payment of fees, uploading the supporting documents, and getting the final call from the university for admission.
The decision is fully in control of the concerned authorities and may take more time in some cases. Also, in some of the universities like the University of Alberta, the students, once rejected by the university, can apply again for reconsideration of the application which may consume some additional time.
Master of Design in Canada: Cost for Studying
The whole expenditure on studies can be grouped into 3 parts: pre-arrival costs, cost of study, and cost of living.
Following are the one-time expenses incurred while applying for Masters in Design in Canada:
- Application Fees: 105 CAD (approx)
- Visa Application Fees: 150 CAD
- IELTS Fee: 244 CAD
- TOEFL Fee: 235 CAD
- Airfare: 1,045 CAD to 1,437 CAD
Tuition Fee for Masters of Design in Canada
It forms the major part of the expense and costs approximately 15,000 USD to 20,000 CAD per annum in Canada.
Cost of Living in Canada
International student’s cost of living in Canada is calculated to be approximately 14,000 CAD to 19,601 CAD per year, depending upon the province. It can be broken down as follows:
|Expense Type||Approximate Cost in CAD (per year)|
|Educational Supplies||$1,960 - $2,631|
|Food and Beverages||$3,267 - $4,574|
|Utilities, Internet and Mobile Phone||$6,534 - $9,800|
|Clothing and Recreation||$1,045 - $1,306|
However, the costs may vary depending on the situation and circumstances and the aforementioned costs are an average in ideal surroundings.
Master of Design in Canada with Scholarships
To ease the financial burden on the students, a variety of awards and funds are provided by the universities. The most prominent scholarships in Canada for international students amongst them are:
|Alberta Graduate Excellence Scholarship||University of Alberta||$12,000||GPA greater than 3.5|
|Entrance Scholarship||NSCAD University||$500 - $6,000||Student of interdisciplinary field|
|In-study Scholarship||OCAD University||Varies||Graduate international student|
|Concordia International Tuition Award of Excellence||Concordia University||Discount on tuition fee||Graduate international student|
|York University Entrance Scholarship||York University||$1,000 - $4,000 depending on the Bachelor's Score||Graduate international student|
Job Prospects Master of Design in Canada
The big sectors of the corporate world, like the automobile, architecture, interior design, robotics, fashion, industrial and aviation sector stand as potential employers for Master in Design students. Starting from a good average initial salary of 47,400 CAD per year, a graphic designer in Canada can earn upto 116,000 CAD per annum.
Three major types of jobs available for Master of Design in Canada are:
- Graphic Designer: They are responsible for creating visuals according to the brief given by clients. The purpose of the graphic designer is to convey the desired message with impactful designs and visuals.
- Illustrator: An illustrator is usually specialized in a particular field such as drawing, photography or digital illustration. They have to create a story, message or idea on the basis of instructions given by the employer.
- Interior Designer: An interior designer is assigned with the responsibility of designing and decorating insides of a building such as offices, private homes, restaurants etc.
The field of design is constantly changing and expanding with specializations evolving in the domain of multimedia, fashion, architecture, automobile, interior, and many more. Anyone with a passion for art can build a good career in this discipline. Students can also opt for research in design after completion of masters instead of looking for a job.
Ques. Where can I study master of design in Canada?
Ans. Masters of design in Canada are available at some of the top universities like University of Alberta, Concordia University, Carleton University, OCAD, York University, etc.
Ques. What is the eligibility for master in design in Canada?
Ans. To apply for masters in design in Canada you need to have a bachelor of arts degree with at least 70-80% and B+ grade and a strong portfolio. Additionally, you are required to have English language proficiency scores (IELTS- 6.5 or TOEFL- 84 to 100).
Ques. How much do masters of design in Canada cost?
Ans. A master's in design in Canada costs 20,000 CAD to 40,000 CAD per year. For an Indian student will have to pay around 11-16 LPA.
Ques. How much can I earn after masters in design in Canada?
Ans. At an entry-level you can earn around 70,000-80,000 CAD. With experience and over time you can earn as much as 171,000 CAD/year.