Masters in International Business in Canada: Course Guide for International Students
Masters in International Business in Canada is available at some of the globally ranking Canadian universities. The program is available as a specialization in MBA from Canada, as a MSc degree or as a mainstream MIB degree. The program offers you in-depth knowledge and understanding of the global market.
- International students are offered admissions usually once a year.
- The total program fees ranges from 27,000 to 68,000 CAD.
- Interviews and GMAT scores are an important aspect of admission decisions in most of the universities offering the program.
Why Study International Business in Canada?
- The degree opens doors to various sectors in management and other fields.
- Given below is the graph representing the percentage of graduates employed in various sectors.
Figure: Percentage of Alumni (28,000) of UWO employed in various industries worldwide.
- Individuals entering the marketing industry in Canada can expect an increment of around 11% in every 13 months.
- Graduates entering the business planning industry can expect increments of up to 12% each year.
- Graduates are offered jobs from across the world. As per the Smith School Employment report, job offers were acquired from around 7 locations around the world.
- Image given below explains the employment of graduates by location:
Masters in International Business in Canada: Top Universities
International students planning to study in Canada can opt from the following top ranking universities to study MIB. Tabulated below are the details of the university, national rankings (QS), and the complete program fees.
|University of Alberta||#4||MBA International Business||57,909|
|Western University (UWO)||#8||MSc International Business||68,250|
|Queen’s University||#10||MSc International Business|
Master of International Business
|University of Victoria||#14||Masters in Global Business||39,913|
|York University||#18||MBA International Business||52,040|
|Carleton University||#22||MBA International Business||55,000|
|University of New Brunswick (UNB)||-||MBA International Business||36,228|
|HEC Montreal||-||MSc International Business||27,500|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||-||MBA International Business||36,225|
Masters in International Business at UAlberta
Application Portal & Fees: Online application via Faculty of Graduate Studies website, 100 CAD
- GPA: 3.0 on a scale of 4.0. This is equivalent to B grade or 83-86%
- The average GPA of 2019 class was 3.4
- GMAT Score: 550 is the minimum score required
- Average GMAT of 2019 class – 612
- Work Experience: 2 or more years
- Average work experience of 2019 class – 5.4 Years
- English language proficiency: Non-native English speaking applicants must submit ELP test scores.
- IELTS: 7.0, 5.5 on each band
- TOEFL: 100 (iBT), 600 (pBT)
- PTE: 68
- Statement of Intent letter
- Two letters of reference
Admission interviews: Online video interview and skype interview. The Kira video interview includes randomized behavioural questions. As soon as the question is given, 45 seconds are given to prepare the response and a minute is given to record response.
- Tips for cracking Kira Interview:
- Test equipment
- SAR: Situation, Action & Result, include examples in your answers
- Second Interview: A face to face interview with a member of the admissions committee. Questions may be based on your application.
The class of 2019 for MBA at UAlberta had around 49% international students. The admissions policy is highly competitive, the average GPA, GMAT scores and work experience of previous year fresh enrollments are higher than the minimum requirements.
You must ensure that your scores meet the profile of 2019 class applicants. Fulfilling minimum requirements will not secure you admissions at University of Alberta
Masters in International Business at Western University (UWO)
At Western University, you can pursue MSc International Business or CEMS Masters in International Management (MIM). As an international applicant you must be familiar with the following details:
Application Portal & Fees: UWO Online Application, 100 CAD
- UG degree with strong academic record: Minimum requirement 78% in UG
- GRE/GMAT Score: Recommended. Minimum GMAT score required is 600.
- English language proficiency:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL: 100
- Two-three letters of reference
- Official transcripts
Admission Interview: Applicants can be called for an online interview within two-three weeks of receiving applications. Applicants are required to complete the online video essay, post which the invitation for interviews may be received.
Around 34% international applicants were a part of the 2019 class. International students are suggested to ensure that the minimum requirements are met and standardized test scores are submitted.
The university may send an applicant a conditional offer if the applicant commits to fulfill the remaining requirement by the start of the program in September. These offers are rarely made and are highly dependent on the profile of the applicant.
Master of International Business at Queen’s University
The Smith School of Business of Queen’s University offers Masters of International Business (MIB). For studying at Queen’s University, international students should be familiar with the following requirements & processes:
Application Portal & Fees: Online Application Form &
Queen’s University Eligibility
- GPA: B+ or 75% in the UG degree. 3.3 on a scale of 4.0
- GMAT/GRE: Minimum GMAT requirement – 600
- ELP Test Score
- IELTS: 100
- TOEFL: 7.0
- PTE: 70
- Official transcripts
- Two letter of reference
- Cover letter outlining skills that an international applicant will bring to the program.
- Video essay component
Inperson/skype interviews are conducted where the associate director evaluates you. The questions are based on the application package and other randomized behavioural questions. Your applications will be then sent for a final evaluation where the applicant’s work experience, overall academic capability, and ability contribute are reviewed.
Decisions given out on a rolling basis. International applicants are suggested to apply as soon as possible to ensure that the immigration documents are obtained on time. As each component of the application package is of equal weightage it is highly suggested to ensure that each document is submitted on time and with complete.
Applicants who may fall little short of the stated admission requirements for one component but outstand on the remaining components of the application, consideration for admissions will be given by the university.
Masters in International Business at University of VIctoria
University of Victoriaoffers an international business degree as Masters in Global Business. To apply with the university for its Global Business Program, international student must keep the following information in mind:
Application Portal & Fees: University application portal,
- UG Grade as B/ a first class or 60% must be scored. On a scale of 10 Indian applicants must have at least 7.
- UG degree must be in commerce, business administration, or management.
- Your UG studies must have these subjects: finance, international business, accounting, marketing & organizational behavior, & human resource management.
- GMAT score is not required
- Work Experience is recommended.
- Proof of English language proficiency must be submitted.
- Personal submissions: A written document with at least 700-1000 words. Applicants are required to explain their chosen path of the program (currently only path 1 is available at UVic).
- Include why the program is a good fit for the applicant
- Use images, videos, ppts or other documents that can be included to show your interest towards the program.
- Two letters of reference, preferably academic.
The admissions committee will review the complete application and the offers are usually made by April (September intake) and August (January intake). It can take up to a few weeks for an offer to be made by the committee post submission of complete application package.
Masters in International Business: Eligibility & Admissions
When planning to study abroad as an international student you will be required to fulfill a certain specific criteria. Mentioned below is the eligibility criteria for studying Masters in International Business in Canada
- GPA requirements: University-specific GPA requirements must be met.
- Most Canadian universities offering International Business require students to have a Grade of B in the UG degree.
- Work Experience: Most universities have a minimum work experience requirement. This is usually 2 years. Some universities may accept students without work experience, but having experience in the related field is always recommended for international business PG aspirants.
- GMAT/GRE Score: International students are required to appear for certain entrance tests to study in Canada. The submission of standardized test scores is mandatory for universities offering international business as a specialization to MBA programs in Canada.
- Minimum requirements vary from university to university. A competitive score of 600 on GMAT is highly recommended.
- International students should preferably submit GMAT/GRE scores, even if not required. It helps the universities to evaluate the international students from the domestic pool.
- Proof of Language Proficiency: Minimum test score requirements for English language proficiency tests must be met.
- Transcripts: Submit your transcripts from previous colleges/schools.
- Supplementary documents: These include your personal statements, CV, SOP, etc which may or may not be required by a specific university.
International students must ensure that they apply for the Canadian student visa on time to ensure that the same is received in time.
Masters in International Business in Canada: Cost of Study
When planning to study abroad, the cost of study plays an important role in the decision making of the country and university that has been chosen by the student. Detailed below are the details of the expenses that you may experience when planning a masters in international business from Canada.
Costs of various exams and other one-time expenses that you will experience before landing in the country of choice can be categorized as pre-arrival expense. Some of these are:
Masters in International Business in Canada: Post-Arrival Expense
Given below is a graph consisting of the total program fees and cost of living in Canada. The graph depicts the annual cost of living in the provinces where the respective universities are located.
Masters in International Business in Canada: Scholarships for International Students
In most of the universities offering the program there are no specific scholarships available to international students pursuing masters in International Business. Only a few universities offer scholarships to international students pursuing the program. These are:
- UWO: Entrance scholarships are available for international students applying for the program. The amount awarded varies.
- Queen’s University: Entrance scholarships of around 2050 CAD/term are available to international students planning to pursue masters in international business at Queen’s University
- HEC Montreal: Entrance Scholarships awarding an amount of 2000 – 4000 CAD to its international students pursuing the degree.
The cost of pursuing masters in Canada can range from 40,200 to 83,200 CAD. Funding in the form of scholarships for international studentsstudying in Canada can help the students in managing their overall cost of study.
Masters in International Business in Canada: Scope
A masters in international business from top universities of Canada is a lucrative program with high return on investment. 94% of Queen’s university graduates were employed within 6 months of the completion of the program. The graduate employment percentage for UWO was around 90%.
On completion of the program, students were accepted in fields like financial/accounting, consulting, technology, education, wholesale/retail, communications, and others. The top industries are consulting, financial, and accounting.The average annual salaries offered to international business graduates in various sectors are given in the graph below:
Given below are some of the jobs that an international business postgraduate can apply for along with the average median salaries.
|Job Designation||Annual Average Salaries (CAD)|
|Business Development Manager||255,000|
|Supply Chain Manager||110,000|
The cost of studying masters in international business in Canada is around 40,200 to 83,200 CAD. Post graduation students can earn cushy median salaries of minimum 150,000 CAD. This makes masters in international business a lucrative program with a high return on investment.