Master of Engineering [M.Eng] (Mechanical Engineering)
Field of Study
International Student Tution
- Masters in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Victoria is offered as a 24-month program.
- The University of Victoria also ranked 2nd in Maclean’s top Canadian Comprehensive Universities 2019.
- Some of the courses that students will study in this program are:
- transportation vehicles (ground, aircraft, watercraft)
- fluid dynamics
- machine design
- biomedical-mechanical systems
- mechatronics and robotics
- Students normally spend the first year of the program on coursework.
- The second year is spent working at a paid research-related position in either industry or government.
- The MEng program is intended to prepare students for advanced professional activity in various industrial settings.
- Students will complete eight graduate-level courses, a graduate seminar, and a research project.
- All MEng students will be under the supervision of a member of the department’s graduate faculty.
- Students will complete eight graduate-level courses, graduate seminars, and a research project.
- This department of Mechanical Engineering includes 43 regular faculty members including five Canada Research Chairs.
- This is the department that has over 100 graduate students and the Male to female ratio is 67:33.
- Students may have job opportunities as
- Mechanical Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer, etc with an average salary of 46,475 USD per year.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 9746 for 2 years|
|Delivery Type||full time|
|Admission Intake||September (Deadline - June 1)|
|Admission Intake||January (Deadline - Oct 1)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Require a four-year (60 units) baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from a recognized institution.
- Need B average (5.0/9.0 GPA) in the last two years (30 units) of academic study
- Submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, indicating any graded coursework completed and any degrees awarded, and the date they were conferred.
Work Experience Eligibility:
- For applicants with relevant experience, e.g., industry experience in the field
- However, the minimum levels outlined in the Faculty of Graduate Studies general regulations (minimum GPA of 5.0 (B)) still apply to students with relevant experience.
- If a student’s background is not in mechanical engineering, then students may be required to take make-up courses that will be mentioned by the university (not for credit) as a condition of admission.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed both a Bachelor’s (4 years) Engineering degree.
Required Document List
Following Documents are required to attend this program:
- Statement of Purpose: An essay or other written statement written by the student.
- Resume/CV: Outline of academic achievements and/or awards, publications, relevant work and/or volunteer experience.
- Academic Documents: Submit copies of official transcripts from post-secondary institutions attended.
- Sample of written work: Students has to write something interesting as their sample essay in the application form.
- Statement of Interest: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation: Referees (Teachers, guidance counselors, or Professors) should comment on academics and that references should submit along with the application system.
- Proof that students have enough money to support themselves during their stay in Canada.
- Letters of reference or any other documents the visa office tell students to bring.
|September||Jun 1, 2021|
|January||Oct 1, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
|Room And Board||$ 13323|
QS World University 2020
Ranked #401 / 500
Mechanical Engineering [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Victoria University Future Leaders Scholarship||Variable||Yes||N/A|
|Saryu Doshi Graduate Fellowships in Liberal Arts & Sciences||$ 4078||Yes||N/A|
|Axol Science Scholarship||$ 2000||Yes||Jul 1, 2020|
|Aga khan Foundation Scholarships||Variable||Yes||Mar 31, 2021|
|Program||Delivery Type||Duration||Program Type||Offered By||Tution Fees|
|M.Eng Mechanical Engineering||full time||2 years||on-campus, Course Based||Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Victoria||$3540|
VISA & Work Study
- International Students will need to apply for a valid Student VISA before entering Canada.
- A Student VISA is an immigration document that allows students to live and study in Canada.
- They must have a Student VISA to enroll in any degree, program or course that takes more than 6 months to complete.
- Whether students also need an Entry Visa depends on their country of citizenship.
- The Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa) is a stamp placed on their passport that allows them to enter Canada.
- In most cases, students Entry Visa will have the same expiry date as their Student VISA.
- A Student VISA is usually valid for the length of the student’s study program, plus an extra 90 days.
- The cost of the Student VISA is 112 USD.
- The students need these documents to apply for a Student VISA:
- Proof of acceptance i.e The offer letter that the student received from the university.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support i.e Documents showing the financial status.
- Both full-time and part-time students can avail of Work while studying in Canada options.
- A student can be hired for only one Work-Study position. Students can find and apply for jobs on Career Exploration and Education website.
- Student eligibility for the Work-Study Program is based upon students meeting this criterion:
- Have proof of a government student aid package of at least 1500 USD
- Be registered at the University of Victoria as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in both terms.
- Have achieved a satisfactory academic standing with a minimum 2.0 institutional grade point average in their previous academic session
- The Work-Study Program gives the student a chance to work On-campus if the student is a full-time student:
- Work Part-time during the academic year to earn around 2250 USD
- Work Full time during the summer months to earn close to 4500 USD
Career and Placement after Course
- Aerospace engineer
- Automotive engineer
- CAD technician
- Contracting civil engineer
- Control and instrumentation engineer
- Maintenance engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Nuclear engineer