Vancouver Island University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Commonly known as VIU, Vancouver Island University is a public university that is located at Nanaimo, in Canada. It was founded in 1969 as Malaspina College and has undergone several educational evolutions over the years until September 2018 where it was changed to Vancouver Island University. Vancouver Island University is accredited by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training, British Columbia in Canada.
The university offers 120+ programs and degrees such as bachelors, masters, technical certificates, diplomas, and pathway programs. Fascinating facilities at the university include a library containing over 230,000 books and other collections, the Malaspina Theatre, a gift shop, and two galleries. The University is located in Vancouver which is one of the most student friendly cities to live in Canada. Moreover, students can enjoy surfing, scuba diving, hiking, camping etc. while studying.
|Location||Nanaimo, British Columbia|
|Mode of Program||Full Time/ Part time/ Online|
|On campus accommodation||Available|
|No. of campuses||4|
|No. of residence halls||10|
|% of international students||18%|
Vancouver Island University Campus
- The Vancouver Island University operates with one main campus, two other campuses namely Cowichan and Powell River campuses and one center in Parkville.
- The main Nanaimo ocean-view campus encompasses 92 acres of useful land.
- The university has a 100,000-square-foot library that provides paper and online materials.
- The Malaspina Theatre that can accommodate up to 294 people is located on campus in the university. It is being used by the university all year round but can be rented by external community groups.
- Two art galleries are located on campus with a gift shop. The art galleries are being run by a non-profit society and are free of charge.
- On the Nanaimo campus is a multi-purpose gymnasium facility that houses free weights, treadmills, recumbent and exercise bikes, fitness/weight room with individual weight machines, stair masters, and elliptical and rowing machines.
- More so, the main gym has fields and courts for soccer, badminton, volleyball, and basketball, as well as a racquetball court and convertible squash
- There are several student clubs available at the university. These clubs are course unions, religious, general interest, activist, and partisan.
- The Cowichan campus is the newest with modern facilities certified by LEED Gold.
- The Powell River campus has a peaceful and compact environment with a well connected and friendly community.
Vancouver Island University Residence
- There are ten residence buildings in the western area of the Nanaimo campus available for students.
- More than 500 students live in Vancouver Island University residences every year.
- The basic building styles offered are townhouse, traditional/dorm, and apartment.
- Amenities include laundry facilities, a 24-hour front desk, common areas, shared kitchen, Wi-Fi, cable TV, study spaces, microwave, and freezers/fridge.
- Room features include a bed, wardrobe, desk, tiled floor, and waste bin.
- Some rooms are specially designed to suit students with disabilities or special needs.
Vancouver Island University Courses
- There are 6 masters programs, 9 graduate diploma, 1 graduate certificate, 4 post-graduate diploma, and 2 advanced diploma
- There are 67 undergraduate programs at the university in fields like business, management, education, health, science, technology etc.
- Vancouver Island University offers a 20-month full-time MBA that indulges students in a 3-week foundation of blended coursework at the beginning and ends with a 4-month internship and an applied business project.
- The University offers certificate and non-credit programs under the umbrella of the Academic and Career Preparation and High School Equivalency (ABE) program.
- The institution also offers Exploratory University Studies (EXPO) to students to enable them to explore other options while still pursuing university credit courses.
Vancouver Island University Application Process
Vancouver Island University accepts international student applications if they apply directly to the university or through authorized representatives. Students could also be a part of an exchange program between institutions, sponsored through Government or winners of competitions and scholarships.
How to Apply?
The process for admission to Vancouver Island University has been discussed below:
Application portal: VIU International student application portal
Application fee: 150 CAD
Application Requirements: The following documents must be submitted at the time of admission:
- Copy of the High School Graduation Diploma (if available) or its equivalent
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Copy of your passport (photo page)
- Official transcripts
- Certified English translations for any documents that are not in English
- Copy of university degree
- Two letters of recommendation
- Letter of introduction (if applicable)
- Work experience (if required)
- Specific program requirements.
- All graduate applicants without a Bachelor's degree, but that have significant work experience, may apply with a GMAT score. They will be considered on an individual basis.
English language requirements
International students whose native language is not English must submit scores of English proficiency tests to meet the eligibility criteria. The minimum requirements of these test scores are as follows:
|Tests||Minimum Rrequirements (UG)||Minimum Requirements (PG)|
|TOEFL||PBT: 550 with no component below 56
IBT: 88 with no component below 20
|IBT: 93 with no component lower than 20|
|IELTS||6.5 with element below 6.0||7.0 with no element lower than 6.5|
|CAEL||60||70 with no section lower than 60|
|Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)||176 overall||Overall of 185|
|Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE)||Overall of 176||Overall of 185|
|PTE||60 with no component lower than 60||65 with no component lower than 60|
|Duo lingo English Test (only For Fall 2020 and Spring 2021)||110||115|
|TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition (only For Fall 2020 and Spring 2021)||88 with no component lower than 20||93 with no element lower than 20|
Vancouver Island University Cost of Attendance
- The cost of attendance for Vancouver Island University comprises the tuition fee and the cost of living.
- Cost of living will depend upon the preferences of the student. However, a room deposit of 500 CAD and security deposit of 250 CAD is necessary for all students living on campus.
|Fees||Amount per year (CAD)|
|Tuition and fees (for undergraduates)||16,680|
|Tuition and fees (for graduates)||25,000-48,000|
|Books and supplies||600-1,200|
|Residence and meals||10,200-13,200|
|Health and dental insurance||1,032|
Vancouver Island University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Financial aids that international students qualify for are scholarships, grants, student jobs, and external aids.
- The value of scholarships, awards, and bursaries available to students in 2019-20 is worth 3.5 million CAD.
- International students can also apply for external scholarships that are not administered by Vancouver Island University.
- Among the external scholarships available for students is the Collegedunia Dream Scholarship worth 1000 CAD for which students must submit an essay in addition to meeting eligibility criteria.
- Scholarships available to international students at VIU include:
|Scholarship Name||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|VIU Worldwide Entrance Scholarships||Entering undergraduate students will be awarded on the basis of academic transcripts.||2000 CAD|
|VIU International Undergraduate Regional Scholarship||Awarded to international students entering first year.||5000 CAD (2500 CAD in the first year of study and 2500 CAD in the second year)|
|International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Entrance Scholarship||Awarded to successful applicants at VIU who graduated with an IB diploma.||1000 CAD per year for up to four academic years|
|International Education Academic Excellence Scholarship||Awarded to full-time international undergraduate students who perform outstanding in their previous academic year at VIU.||1000 CAD|
|Outstanding International Student Awards||Awarded to continuing full-time international undergraduate students with minimum GPA of 3.0 and who contribute to the community.||2000 CAD|
Vancouver Island University Alumni Network
Vancouver Island University alumni network involves more than 75,000 members who are entitled to several benefits that include:
- Exclusive access to the university library
- Unique access to VIU Athletics & Recreation Services (gym)
- Alumni discounts at the VIU Campus Store at the Nanaimo Campus
- 40% off the standard rate at Sparkling Hill Resort & Spa
- Insurance and car rentals discount
- 25% discount on Royal BC museum entry
Notable alumni include:
- Kevin Borserio - Director of the Skidegate Haida Immersion Program (SHIP)
- Rachel Blaney -Canadian MP
- Paul Manly -Canadian Member of Parliament
- Victor Blasco –Spanish footballer
- Amelia Alcock-White -Canadian artist
Vancouver Island University Placements
MBA and MSc IB graduates can stay up to 14 months to three years and work in Canada coupled with the four-month MBA internships; such students stand a good chance of advancing their careers better than their counterparts.
The VIU career center hosts career fairs every spring where students meet with recruiters. 2053 employers have partnered with VIU since 2014 to provide work-integrated learning opportunities for students. Average salary of VIU MBA graduates is 31,000-60,000 CAD per annum.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
After completing my BBA, it was very obvious for me that I was going to study further and pursue my MBA, but the question was where? So after taking some help from education councillors, I was given a choice to study in Canada which seemed like a very good opportunity. This college was suggested to me by the councillors as well and I applied from the college portal. I paid an amount of $150 for the application fee.
Course Curriculum :
The course is very practical and is updated accordingly to the changing times of the world.
I had heard about this university from one of my cousin sister whose friend had completed her bachelors from here. The admission process was quite simple here, I just need to submit all of my essential documents on time after applying online here. My cost of application was $120 for one course. My academic score in 12th was 94% and also I performed well in my matriculation.
Course Curriculum :
My course duration was of four years. In my course curriculum, I had been given training in applied computer and educate them in the social, ethical and legal implications of computer. Apart from theoretical aspect of my course, I had learned multiple programming languages, advance algorithm and data structure. I started coding in my fourth semester and over the time I was able to score above average on codersrank site.
I opted for this university because of its worldwide recognition in business courses. I came over to canada to build up my career with a right direction, and this college supported me in all manner. My cost of application was $100 and my academic score in senior secondary examination was 92.50% having maths as my core subject.
Course Curriculum :
Through my BBA program, I had developed an appreciation and understanding of how to achieve organizational objectives in an often diverse and turbulent external environment. Lectures were augmented by seminars, research project and computer simulation. After completing the initial two years of my course, I was awarded by a diploma in business administration. I had to complete 60 credits of my course inside the campus.
I opted for this college due to its presence in elite list of universities in technology segment, plus another point was its infrastructure. I watched some sessions of this university over the online seminar, and I was wondered about the quality of education and positive atmosphere of the campus. mY online application fees was $110.
Course Curriculum :
In my course I was offered visual sensitivity with skill and knowledge in areas of communication, technology, and business.
Since after my 12th standard, I was clear with my graduation subject. So without delaying, I applied to several universities with the help of a private consultancy in order to increase my selection in the first go. My online application was worth $150
Course Curriculum :
This course had provided me a well rounded business education with a focus on global business operations, emerging markets, and technology enabled organizations.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary