Cape Breton University: Ranking, Programs, Application Deadlines, Admission 2021, Fees, Scholarships
Established in 1974, the Cape Breton University is a public university located in Nova Scotia, Canada. Dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning, the university is famous for its undergraduate research opportunities. Programs offered by Cape Breton University include undergraduate and graduate degrees, online education, and pre-professional courses in the fields of Liberal Arts, Science, Business, and Health.
It is also famous among international students who wish to study in Canada as it provides worth CAD 2.5M scholarships every year. It also strives for the innovative economic development of Cape Breton Island along with providing sustainability programs.
Admission to this highly coveted higher education institute of Canada is available to international students. With an international student population of 3,500 out of the total students' population of 5,500, the school is regarded as the second largest proportionate international student community of any maritime university.
Cape Breton University Rankings
One of the popular institutes in Canada, Cape Breton University has been ranked by various agencies, some tabulated below:
- #19th Rank in Canada by MacLean’s
- #79th Rank in Canada by Cube Ranking
- #68th Rank in Canada by UNI Rank
- #2994th World Rank by UNI Rank
|Entity||Not for Profit|
|Academic Calendar||Semester Wise|
|Programs Offered||Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees, Online Courses, Pre-Professional Programs|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships and Bursaries|
Cape Breton University Campus
- The University is housed on one campus located in Sydney, Nova Scotia, in Canada characterized by a sightful landscape, warming and accommodating culture, and a rich tradition.
- The buildings on campus cover over 17,000 square ft comprising of research laboratories, workshops, administrative blocks, reading rooms, and few auditoriums which are centers for all campus events, fests, and competitions
- Notable facilities on campus include the Broadmore theatre, CBU Art Gallery, Cape Breton Health Recreation Complex, the Verschuren Centre, Students, culture and heritage center, Sullivan Fieldhouse, Canada Games Complex, Max Bell Health Centre, etc
- Students are provided with all the necessary facilities and equipment to enable them to have the best of experiences in the school
- CBU hosts special events and community festivals and activities on its campus throughout the year. Some of the festivals hosted on CBU campus are Chinese New Year, the Multiversity Cultural Festival or Diwali, etc
- Also located on campus is the Beaton Institute, a globally recognized research center striving to promote research and learning through innovative academic initiatives
- The campus also houses a central library with thousands of collections of books, research papers, journals, research papers, and novels.
- A wide range of Intramural activities is available for students to participate in. From activities that are primarily on an individual basis to a dual and team basis, students are allowed to choose what they want.
- To provide a healthy working and learning environment for members of the university community, the school operates on a smoke-free policy on campus with a designated place for smoking
- There are affordable and convenient buses in Cape Breton Regional Municipality with a bus stop located close to the residence halls to help transport students from one place to another
Cape Breton University Residence
- Cape Breton University offers on-campus residence to students of the institutions in a serene, conducive, affordable, and secured environment.
- There are four residence halls and apartment on campus namely the MacDonald Residence, Cabot Residence, Alumni Hall and Harriss Hall available exclusively to student occupants and secured with electronic keys to restrict access to non-students
- Family members of the students and visitors on campus can lodge in any of the available hotels in the campus surrounding areas.
- Students are presented with three unique and secure residence options and can also choose from the traditional single dorm room to an apartment-style set-up with roommates
- Amenities available on residence hall include WIFI/high-speed wireless internet connection, laundry facilities, shared lounge spaces, shared living room and kitchen, private and shared washroom facilities, restaurant-style dining, stocked pantry,
- Applicants can apply for on-campus residence after the receipt of the acceptance letter and email address from Cape Breton University
- Application fee of 25 CAD is required from students applying for on-campus residence. After the residence has been granted, students are required to pay a residence confirmation deposit of 700 CAD
- There is no deadline for the residence application. However, students are advised to apply early so that they could get their desired rooms
- Annual prices for accommodation on campus range from 4,300 CAD to 7,180 CAD
- All students living in dorms are required to obtain a full non-refundable meal plan while students on apartments are required to purchase a 300 CAD meal plan
- For students who wish to live off-campus, the school has provided a searchable database for students to help them secure a good, affordable, secured and comfortable accommodation on off-campus apartments
Cape Breton University Programs
- The university offers undergraduate and graduate degrees, online education, and pre-professional courses in the fields of Liberal Arts, Science, Business, and Health.
- It has 4 academic departments namely Schools of Arts & Social Sciences, School of Education & Health, School of Science & Technology, and Shannon School of Business.
- It is known for its unique programs: Bachelor of Health Sciences in Public Health and Master of Business Administration in Community Economic Development program.
Cape Breton University Application Process
International students are advised to check their country-specific requirements along with course-specific requirements before applying for Cape Breton University admissions.
Application Portal: University's Official Website
Application Fee: 75 CAD
- Spring/Summer: February 15th, 2021
- Fall: June 15th, 2021
- Winter: October 15th, 2021
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements at Cape Breton University
International students willing to enroll in undergraduate programs are advised to go through country-specific requirements alongside course-specific requirements.
- Supplementary Application
- High School Transcripts with a minimum score of 65%.
- Essay in 500 words
- Academic as well non-academic References
- CASPer test for Nursing program
Admission requirements for some of the undergraduate programs are tabulated below:
|Bachelor of Business Administration||High School Transcripts including advanced or academic English and Mathematics;
3 Additional high school subjects either academic or advanced level
|Bachelor of Education||1st Teachable Area: 30 credits of University coursework
2nd Teachable Area: 18 credits of University coursework
Intermediate /Secondary Teachable: Including English, Mathematics, Fine Arts, Anthropology and Social Studies, etc.
|Bachelor of Science||High School Transcripts including advanced or academic English and Mathematics;
2 Science related Subject in high school;
1 Additional subject either academic or advanced level
|Bachelor of Engineering Technology||High School Transcripts including advanced or academic English and Mathematics
2 Science related Subject in high school
1 Additional subject either academic or advanced level
|Bachelor of Arts and Science in Environment||High School Transcripts including advanced or academic English and Mathematics along with Biology, chemistry, and physics
2 Additional high school subject either academic or advanced level
Graduate Admissions Requirements at Cape Breton University
- Bachelor's Degree
- Statement of Intent
- Professional Reference
- Recommendations Letter
- Work Experience
- GMAT/GRE score
Admission requirements for some of the graduate programs are tabulated below:
|Master of Business Administration in Community Economic Development||Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 75%;
Resume mentioning experience and skills;
Statement of Desire in 500 words;
3 Reference Letters including professional and academic;
GMAT/GRE score; Interview
|1 year or 2 years|
|Master of Education in Sustainability, Creativity, and Innovation||Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 70%;
Letter of Intent 3. Recommendation Letter;
Research interest in 700-1000 words (thesis option)
|2,3 or 4 years|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Analytics||Bachelor's degree with a Grade B including 2 mathematics and Statistics with B Grade||2 years|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Management||Grade B in Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field||2 years|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Supply Chain Management||Grade B in Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field||2 years|
Cape Breton University Cost of Attendance
For international candidates aspiring to study at the university, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada to survive comfortably in a foreign land. Below is the estimated tuition and student fees for the Fall/Winter 2019 – 2020 presented-
|Fees||Undergraduate (CAD)||Graduate (CAD)|
|Tuition||8,040||2,012 (for six credit course)|
|International differential fees||8,040||1,608|
|International medical plan||744||744|
Cape Breton University Scholarships
The university offers more than 2.5M in scholarships every year, first-year through to graduation. It also supports students through in-course bursaries and paid work-study programs.
Entrance Scholarships: Students willing to receive entrance scholarships are advised to submit their transcripts and financial need application at the earliest. A minimum of 80% is required in high school to be eligible for an entrance scholarship. The number of entrance scholarships is tabulated below:
|Name||Total Amount (CAD)||Yearly Amount (CAD)|
|W.M. Reid||11,500||4K & 2.5K|
In-Course Scholarships: Students can apply for these scholarships after completing one semester of study at CBU (minimum 9 credits). Students must have an overall average of at least 80%. No separate applications are required.
The university also offers bursaries to students who have financial needs. A bursary form is required along with income tax assessments for eligibility.
Cape Breton University Alumni Network
Benefits of the Alumni Network
- Access to campus facilities
- Career services
Notable alumni of the institution include:
- Nolan Crouse - Mayor of St. Alberta
- Jason Massie - Soccer player in Ontario
- John W. Morgan - Former Mayor of Cape Breton Regional Municipality
- Gerald Sampson - Former Nova Scotia MLA
Cape Breton University Placements
- The university offers a variety of career resources for the students including career advising and job opportunities listings.
- The Student Development Officers assist students in making their career decisions. They also help them improve their readiness skills like resume writing, interview skills, and business etiquette.
- CO-OP Education: It is an opportunity for students to earn experience during their undergraduate years. The program also provides wage and academic credits along with an edge in future employment. The program spans up to 12 weeks with a full-time paid position during Fall, Winter, or summer semesters.
- Work-Study Program: Students may also apply for on-campus employment through the Work-study program. A student with a good academic record can opt for this program. This program can be applied through the student job opportunities dashboard.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I had decided to join this university for my bachelors degree which it had provided an excellent academic program which I really wanted.I had applied at three other universities but I preferred Cape Breton University.There was an online application form submitted by me through the official website of university and paid around 100 CAD.
Course Curriculum :
From this course curriculum I had achieved all the skills and knowledge necessary for achieving goals in this field.It focused on introductory courses to business, accounting, marketing, principles of micro and macroeconomics and much more to help you gain the competitive edge needed in this industry.
I got to know about this college through one of my friend who also studied there.He told me about all the opportunities offered by it I really liked them.I had to filled an online application form through the official website of the college.And I had paid around 100 CAD as an application fee.I had not applied for any other colleges for admission.
Course Curriculum :
This MBA degree offered me a leading edge curriculum that includes all business subjects found in traditional MBA programs, with an emphasis on economic development, leadership, governance and management of change.I had gain Problem-solving and analytical skills,interpersonal and communication skills.I had involved in various applied research projects.
I heard about this university from one of my one of my cousin brother, who did his bachelors from this university. In admission process, there were document verification, and an interview which was the toughest part of the admission process. The application cost of my program was 80 CAD.
Course Curriculum :
The main doctrines of my course were consumer behavior, social media marketing, marketing research etc. In addition to it, i had learned here the skill of connecting with consumers and solve marketing problems that businesses face every day. My course duration was of 4 years which further divided in to semesters.
I had applied to several universities for my diploma course and also got approval from many of those institutes, but I chose this university over them just because it comes under my budget and also the quality of education it provide to the scholars. The placement rate of this college was again a major factor behind my decision. I had paid $100 for the online application of my course.
Course Curriculum :
In my opinion the course was quite short and crisp. It had consisted of all the concepts that helped me in gaining quantitative and qualitative research skills and a better understanding of management and community development. Later I got know about the fact that I could join the NGO's and government firms after completing this diploma.
I wanted to opt for this university because it is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning. Also, CBU provides the advantage of outstanding experiential learning and undergraduate research opportunities in a supportive academic environment. It motivated me to get admitted here through an online application form. My GPA was around 8. The application fee that I had to pay was $100.
Course Curriculum :
With the world facing so many complex problems, the knowledge mathematics students acquire at CBU can be used to find success in a variety of fields, both scientific and artistic. These are the kind of skills I gained at CBU. From the modern facilities to the accessible, experienced faculty, I found peace and tranquility along the world-famous shores.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary