Lakehead University, Orilla Campus: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Lakehead University is a comprehensive private research institute that opened a campus in Downtown Orillia in 2006. The school is poised in being instrumental to the success of the students not just in the academic sphere but also in their career paths. It has achieved this distinction by offering a dynamic, modern, and highly learner-centered environment guiding both domestic and international students willing to study in Canada to take courses that match their interests and aspirations in life.
Home to 8,680 students and 2,000+ staff, Lakehead is a popular and one of the most sophisticated undergraduate research institutes in Canada hosting nine Canada Research Chairs and world-class revolutionary research facilities.
Lakehead University offers quality education both at Undergraduate and Graduate levels through innovative programs, approachable professors, hands-on learning techniques, and a friendly environment. Smaller class sizes at the university ease the personalized experience and engage more students in classroom discussions. At Lakehead, 90% of the classes have fewer than 60 students, and 60% of the classes have fewer than 30.
Lakehead University is ranked
- 31st in the list of Best Global Universities in Canada
- 601–800th in World University Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education
- 98th in Impact Rankings 2020 by Times Higher Education
- 14th in Impact Rankings: Zero hunger 2020 by Times Higher Education
|Type of University||Public|
|Lakehead University, established in||1946|
|Orillia Campus, founded in||2006|
|Enrollment at Orillia campus (undergraduate & postgraduate)||1,450 Students (2014)|
|Average Annual Tuition Fee||27,760 USD|
|Graduate Employment Rate||96.7% (Within 2 years of graduation)|
Lakehead University, Orillia Campus
- The Orillia campus of Lakehead University is the later established place of higher education after Lakehead Thunder Bay.
- The Thunder Bay campus is one of the most picturesque university campuses in Canada nestled under the historic stoic Sleeping Giant.
- The Orillia campus situated at Heritage place was opened in 2006 with just 104 students.
- In 2010, Orillia campus then opened University Avenue Academic Building providing full campus facilities and residence built to environmental design standards. This facilitated a combined student’s enrolment of 1,300 in the 2012-2013 academic session.
- The school’s campuses are homes to revolutionary research facilities such as the world-renowned Paleo-DNA Laboratory and the Biorefining Research Institute.
- Recreational facilities at Lakehead include gymnasium, paved outdoor ice rink (lighted), outdoor basketball courts (lighted), and tennis courts.
- The campus-wide scape provides ample opportunity for several outdoor sports and activities like tract events, ski breaks, hiking tips, and soccer.
- The University also has an office in Toronto for domestic and international recruitment.
Residence at the Orillia Campus
- Lakehead claims ‘Guaranteed Residence’ to all its students providing on-campus accommodation to 1,436 students.
- Different residency options are available to students on the two campuses of the school.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Lakehead University has waived off the residency deposit of 500 CAD for the 2020/2021 academic session to help students apply for residential housing.
- The three living styles available at Lakehead are residence halls, apartments, and townhouses.
- Facilities and amenities available at Lakehead campus residence include wireless internet connections, laundry facilities, lounge, study area, quiet house, parking permit, etc.
- In Thunder Bay residence, a Meal plan is mandatory for only freshmen living in residence halls, whereas the meal plan at the Orillia campus is flexible.
- Students living on campus enjoy benefits like proximity to classes, leadership opportunities, easier adjustment to the university environment, academic support, safety, and security.
- Applicants with disabilities have access to accommodations facilities throughout the recruitment process
- Every weekend on campus, the school through the student’s union organizes social events like game night, multiple season festivals, talent shows, cultural excursions, ski trips, etc
- To aid students who wish to live off-campus, the school provides a directory to help students search for suitable off-campus accommodation
Programs at Lakehead University
- Lakehead offers considerable and flexible study options and opportunities in 57 undergraduate programs and 30 graduate programs.
- A wide range of minor, majors, degree, and diploma programs in its ten faculties including Business Administration, Medicine, Engineering, and Law is offered in Lakehead.
- Lakehead also offers interdisciplinary study options, integrating the arts and sciences programs, as well as programs in education, and business.
- Fieldwork and hands-on learning are infused as a part of the curriculum of several programs in Lakehead.
- Online programs, professional development programs, access programs, certificate programs are also available to students.
Admission to this highly coveted higher education institute of Canada is available to international students as well. The application process is easy to follow. Given below are the details that will help ease the process.
- Application Portal: Online Admission Portal
- Application Fee: 135 CAD (Undergraduate studies); 100 CAD (Graduate Studies)
- Supporting Documents
- Official Transcripts
- The Candian equivalent of a minimum of 70% overall final average
- English Language Proficiency TOEFL/IELTS/ PTE (for applicants whose native language is not English and who cannot verify having recently studied for more than 3 years in English Curriculum)Consent Form & Reference Letter (Nursing transfer applicants only)
- Canadian student visa
- Three graduate Studies Reference Form
- Official Transcript
- Proof of Degree
- English Language Proficiency (for applicants whose native language is not English and who cannot verify having recently studied for more than 3 years in English Curriculum)
- GRE/GMAT scores
- Canadian student visa
- Program Specific Supporting Documents
- Requirements for admission
- Undergraduate: Applicants must successfully graduate from an academic secondary school program or equivalent with a minimum 70% overall final average. This, however, is not a guarantee of admission
- Graduate: The minimum admission requirement is 75% or 3.0 on a 4-point Canadian scale, with an accredited university degree equivalent to a Lakehead University 4-year degree.
- English Language Requirements: International students, whose native language is not English, must meet Lakehead’s English language proficiency requirements. Presented on the table below are the acceptable English language tests and their scores, however, attaining such is not a guarantee of admission.
|IELTS||6.5 (no individual score less than 6.0)||7.0|
|TOEFL||80 (no component score less than 19)||100|
|PTE Academic||58 (no component score less than 50)||68|
|Cambridge Academic English||176||190|
|Duolingo English Test (Temporary)||110||128|
|Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)||60||80|
Note: Some programs may require a higher English Language test score.
Undergraduate: March 1st, (Fall Semester)
November 1st (Winter semester)
February 3rd (Spring/Summer)
Graduate: Although admission is conducted on a rolling basis. However, to be considered in the initial Admission and Funding decisions for the Fall semester, applicants are advised to apply by February 1st
Note: International students are advised to apply early, as admission is competitive and the school will cease the acceptance of the application for admission when the capacity is reached
Cost of Attendance
For international candidates aspiring to study at the university, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada to survive comfortably in a foreign land. The list of basic expenses to be considered for applying for admission at the institute is as detailed below.
|Cost||Undergraduate (per year)||Graduate (per year)|
|Tuition Fees *||25,950 - 29,300 CAD||22,450 - 27,000CAD|
|Service/Ancillary Fee||950 CAD||180 CAD|
|Mandatory University Health Insurance Plan Fee (submitted once)||720 CAD||720 CAD|
|Non-Refundable Deposits||400 CAD||750.00 CAD|
|Residence and Meal Plan||12,700 CAD||12,700 CAD|
|Others||1,100 CAD||1,700.00 CAD|
*varies with the program chosen. MBA Tuition fees range from 36,000 CAD to 44,000 CAD per year.
Financial Aid for International Students
- Financial aids are available in several forms and are usually merit-based and need-based
- Different forms of financial aid include Scholarships, Awards, Graduate Assistantships, and Faculty Research Scholarships
- There are several entrance scholarships available for top international students. These scholarships are automatic, thus, require no application
- Some of the entrance scholarships available are:
- Undergraduate International Entrance Scholarships varying from 4,000 CAD to 30,000 CAD.
- Alumni Association Entrance Award worth 2,500 CAD
- Entrance Athletic Scholarships for Varsity Athletes worth 4,500 CAD
- Graduate Assistantships provide financial aids and teaching opportunities for graduate students.
- The graduate assistantship annual rate for 2019/2020 academic session is 10,197.68 CAD and constitutes a maximum of working hours of 10 hrs of work per week
- Some students offering graduate programs may also receive a Faculty Research Award for research or academic activities related to the student's field(s) of study.
- Other scholarships are available to students. These scholarships may be from student’s home country, NGO’s, charity organizations, etc
- 96.7% of Lakehead’s graduates employed within 2 years of graduation
- A survey by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities indicated that graduates of Lakehead University performed better than the average graduate in the province in terms of employment, six months after graduating
- The school is committed to providing an equal, transparent, and open access to employment opportunities to all students
- Average Annual Salaries of Lakehead University Graduates Employed Full Time is 42,284 CAD
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #301 - #400
Well I chose Lakehead University because it met all my expectations and the courses offered are very much interesting and I also have lot many electives options other than my main course programme
Course Curriculum :
My course curriculum and academics and absolutely matching with my requirements and it covers all the business courses and topics required with some extra information too .
I had a senior friend from school who studied in the same college. He told me that his college provided a financial aid of near about $500 to the students who were in 12th grade and traveled for more than 150km who came to study over there. Being an international student I thought I could be one of them. I applied through the online application form available on the official website along with an application fee of $150.
Course Curriculum :
I have learned the fundamental principles that involved the management of organizations. Also, I've found that the curriculum of my college was designed such that it paid specific emphasis on the functions of management related to the planning, organizing, decision-making, and controlling of organizational activities. I believe I have gained a comprehensive overview of the dynamic relationships existing between many interacting components.
I had always wanted to pursue a Business Administration course from a good university and for which I had done a lot of research. I have got to know about the Lakehead University-Orillia, and I applied for the same at the earliest. I had submitted nearly $200 for the admission along with all the necessary documents, in order to get admission in the university. The application was submitted through an online admission portal.
Course Curriculum :
The MBA course delivers all the essential skills needed to study MBA and to become a future leader. In the course curriculum, I had studied economics, mathematics, Business Administration, marketing, and finance. The course is very dynamic, and so the teachers. The curriculum also includes internship and training with world leaders.
I choose this college for my MBA Degree because of its curriculum and placement value. Its MBA program focuses on enhancing decision-making, analytical, and communication skills. There are small-sized classes and faculty here are highly experienced ones. I find its curriculum really promising and interesting. To get in, I applied through the Lakehead University admission portal. The application fee was $135.
Course Curriculum :
The course of the MBA program is designed very well which aims at improving the analytical, and communication skills of the students. During the session, we get to do intense class discussions, and case studies. As a part of the curriculum, we also do experiential learning projects that enhance our business skills.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary