Laurentian University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Laurentian University, Canada is a bilingual university established in 1960 in Greater Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. This college provides undergraduate programs, graduate programs, and online programs. The university has one of the highest post-graduation employment rates in Ontario. The rate of international student enrollment has also increased over the past four years. According to the 2017 National Survey of Student Engagement, 58% of the first-year students have rated the educational experience in the university as good. The average class size of the first-year students is less than 30.
Laurentian University Rankings
- It is ranked 36th in Canada’s Top 50 research universities for sponsored research income.
- It is ranked 47th in the research university of the year.
- It ranked 7th in the top 10 universities by income growth, in the year 2013.
Laurentian University Highlights
|Type of university||Public|
|Undergraduate & Graduate Programs||175|
|Number of Undergraduate students||9,603|
|Number of Postgraduate Seats||1622|
|Number of International Students||482|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||CAD 24,104 – CAD 31,027|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Postgraduate International Students||CAD 3,974.20 – CAD 7,067.45|
|Languages for Courses||English and French|
|Test Scores Accepted||GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS, and GRE|
|Score Required for Graduates||GMAT- 500 or more TOEFL-230 computer-based, 88 Internet-based IELTS - 6.5 PTE Academic – 60|
Laurentian University Campus
- Laurentian University campus at Greater Sudbury, Ontario is regarded as one of the best cities for international students in Canada with tons of learning and recreational options for the aspirants. The students will get to experience a diverse and vibrant community at Laurentian.
- Apart from academics, there are a lot of exciting activities that the students can be a part of all around the campus.
- The campus has various student-run associations, which the students can be a part of.
- As a part of campus services, the university provides career and employment counseling.
- The campus also has services for spiritual life that helps and guides students with personal and religious problems during the college days
Laurentian University Residence
- Laurentian University provides residence services for both the first-year students as well as senior students.
- Many students of the college live on campus and take all the advantages of the facilities provided by them.
- They have various types of housing options, on campus. Students can choose eight different residence options based on availability. The housing options vary from residence halls to apartments style living.
- In these residences, 1 to 3 bedrooms are available along with all modern amenities and dining services.
Laurentian University Programs
- The programs at Laurentian University are offered at Diploma, Certificate, Bachelor, Masters and Doctorate levels. Undergraduate and Graduate programs are offered in two languages – English and French.
- The college offers various types of courses for the Undergraduate program. They have five fields of study from which the students can choose their subject of interest from Arts, Health, Education, Management, Science, Engineering, and Architecture.
- Some of the most popular undergraduate programs include - Business & Commerce, Social Science, Engineering, Agriculture & Biological Science, etc.
- The college has a total of four departments in the master’s degree course. The departments include – Arts, Health, Management, Science, Engineering, and Architecture.
- Some of the most popular graduate programs include - Social Science, Agriculture & Biological Science, and Physical Science, etc.
Laurentian University Application Process
Students are required to apply within the university specified deadlines along with all supporting documents to secure admission to the programs.
Application Fee: 133 CAD
Supporting Documents: Official Transcripts, Photocopy of your passport, financial document proof, Letter of recommendation, resume/CV, Proof of English Proficiency – IELTS – 6.5, TOEFL ibt – 88, TOEFL cbt - 230.
Note: Applicants must meet French and English language requirements for bilingual programs
Documents can be submitted through the portal/ mailed to:
935 Ramsey Lake Road
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Laurentian University Cost of Attendance
International students aspiring to study at the highly coveted higher education institutes of Canada are required to meet the estimate of the cost of living in Canada. The list of basic expenses to be considered for applying for admission at the institute is as detailed below.
|Type of Expenses||Cost in CAD|
|Books and Supplies||1,200.00|
Laurentian University Financial Aid for International Students
- The college offers a generous amount of financial aid to the students in the form of merit-based scholarships.
- Students with high academic records are eligible for the International Excellence Scholarships of the university.
Undergraduate international Excellence Scholarship
- Students with an average score of 90% - 100% are eligible for scholarships up to 60,000 CAD. Out of which $15,000 will be awarded in the first year and then it will get renewed in the subsequent years if the average is maintained.
- Students with an average score of 80% - 89.9% are eligible for scholarships up to $40,000 dollars. Out of which $10,000 will be awarded in the first year and then it will get renewed in the subsequent years if the average is maintained.
International graduates are eligible for graduate teaching assistantships, Travel grants up to 600 CAD, LU internal scholarships, Dean’s Entrance Scholarship, Ontario Graduate Scholarship and other scholarships for graduate international students studying in Canada.
- Apart from institutional scholarships, they can also apply for Scholarships in Canada for international students
Laurentian University Alumni
The benefits for the LU alumni include the following:
- The mentorship program allows alumni to get involved with the current students and they can provide counseling and career advice to the current students on academic and leadership skills. This provides guidance and allows students to make correct decisions for their careers.
- There are various awards that are given away to alumni, some of them are - Alumni Honour Award, Distinguished Leadership Award, Trailblazer Award, Rising Star Achievement Award, and many more.
- Laurentian Connection is a type of e-newsletter that is sent to all the alumni from the month of September to June, updating them about the upcoming events that they can be a part of.
Laurentian University Placement
- The university provides job and internship assistance to the students.
- The commerce department offers a cooperative education opportunity to learn and apply their classroom knowledge in practical works in various companies.
- This cooperative program with the companies allows students to examine their career in-depth and focus on their area of interest.
- The career and employment service office provides the students with connections to potential job offers.
- They provide the students with on-campus jobs, internships, career fairs, interview workshops, and many more.
FIND A PROGRAM
"I was able to understand myself more as a human being than I did staying home in India. I went out on small vacations with my friends and even explored some popular parts of the country. Even engaging myself in a host of extracurricular activities and allowing myself to focus on my career and work towards it was the one of the highlights of my experience here at Laurentian"
10000 grand worth of scholarship which was renewable for consecutive years was one of the main reasons why. It also has one of the highest graduate employability issues with small class sizes and state of the art resources at our disposals. It's computer science program with co-op is known to be an extremely solid program.
Course Curriculum :
It was a bit overwhelming dealing in the beginning with data structures and alogrithms, e-commerce with discrete structures. Though relevant and updated, I was expecting a more basic approach in the initial stage but the program is more fast-paced and down to business than i expected which is nice to get work done as soon as possible.
First of all, Laurentian gave me $10000 CAD as entrance scholarship was by-far the most my other friends were getting at the time in other universities. I always felt like uni with large classes would throw me off my game in uni and Laurentian has like 20-25 students per lecture. I wouldn't call it the best business program but it's decent enough to find work in Ontario.
Course Curriculum :
This program is focuses solely on Finance. Further opening a long trail of opportunities. Everything seems in place apart from economics but that is because I have never like eco in general. We share courses with people from different disciplines since they are mandatory to complete but some of them don't just really relate to finance like eco. The course syllabus is however seems to be in an updated shape till now.
Cost-Efficient with the grades I got and the most convenient at the time of the year I wanted to start my school (Winter Intake).
Course Curriculum :
The course outline is really well set up. This university also provides co-op placements which became one of the reasons for me to join the university. There are frequent seminars of different companies in the field. Laurentian's Engineering department got a funding of $10 million CAD for its research. It also won the NASA Space Rover building Championship( I am not sure about the year). I have gone to the nearby SNOLAB which is located 2 km under the ground which also pulled over a Nobel Prize in Physics in 2015.
Got to know from GTU website and Laurentian website also the university has a good reputation and also I took advice about student exchange program from my seniors in college they recommended to have experience in this college.
As I am interested in doing my masters in Canada so I was thinking to experience a program. A normal of batch number 50 students were included in this program of our pharmacy professionals and also eligibility criteria were 7.3 and up. While the profs were very good in behaviour and also interaction.
I wanted to stay close to home for my undergrad, would rather save money for further education out of town and be able to continue working part-time. Unfortunately, I haven't had access to the same range of programs I could get from out of town schools.
Course Curriculum :
It could be much more varied but good for what we're working with, electives make me feel unfocused and forget what goal I'm working towards, lowers my motivation not having a wide range of courses.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary