Laurentian University 2021-2022 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Laurentian University is the only University in Canada with a Tricultural mandate that allows its students to study and research in both French and English along with a comprehensive approach to indigenous education. It is one of the top three universities in Canada for totally sponsored research income at the undergraduate level. The university is divided into several major faculties focusing on major study areas such as management, medicine, science, engineering and architecture, and graduate studies that offer more than 175 degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate level
With an average class size of less than 20, it is able to extend individual attention to its students to complete their coursework. Around 94.3% of students graduating from Laurentian University were employed 6 months after graduation.
With an acceptance rate of 60 - 70 % (Fall 2020), Laurentian University admissions are moderately selective. International enrollment has also increased by more than 14% over the last 4 years. Laurentian University invites admission applications in Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Applicants can apply by April 1 for the fall semester. In order to get admission to Laurentian University, a minimum of 70% score is required for undergraduate and graduate programs. Candidates who have secured 70% or higher in Class 12 or equivalent can apply for undergraduate programs at Laurentian University for which the university does not require SAT scores or ACT scores.
Graduate programs have specific admission requirements with a GPA of 3.4+ out of 4.0. In view of the COVID 19 pandemic, submission of the standard test score requirements has been made optional by the University. While applying for graduate programs, students must ensure that all the transcripts are mailed directly to the university by the issuing institution and must be accompanied by a certified translation from WES if not in English.
Due to the ongoing COVID 19 situation:
- GMAT requirement has been waived off for the 2021- 22 admissions cycle.
- Duolingo is now accepted as proof of English Language Proficiency.
- Applicants are provided with the option to study online. They can also defer the admission offer of September 2021 at no cost.
- Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required later.
|Application Fee||133 CAD|
|Average Scores Required||70 % +|
|GMAT Score||500 - 600|
|Intake Season||Winter, Spring, Fall|
|Academic calendar||Semester based|
Laurentian University Application Deadlines
Undergraduate applicants can apply by the following admission deadlines to be considered for Laurentian University admissions. Admission deadlines for graduate admissions differ with the programs.
Laurentian University International Student Admissions
It accepts international students from all over the world given that they have fulfilled the minimum eligibility criteria. Students should check the country-wise admission requirements before making an application. International enrollment has increased by more than 14% over the last 4 years.
Application Fee: 133 CAD
Admission Requirements: International applicants are required to submit the following application requirements for Laurentian University admissions-
- Completed Application
- Official Transcripts
- Class 12/ High School Diploma or equivalent (Undergraduate)
- Bachelor's Degree (Master’s Programs)
- Minimum score requirement - 70 %
- Language Proficiency Scores
- English proficiency
- French proficiency test scores for French programs
- Up to 3 Letters of Recommendation (Master’s Programs)
- Statement of Intent (Master’s Programs)
- Photocopy of both sides of the passport
- Financial statement
- All the transcripts must be accompanied by WES-certified translations if not in English.
- For bilingual programs, applicants must meet both the language requirements. Applicants must check the Laurentian faculty requirements and country-specific requirements. Graduate programs may have department-specific admission requirements.
English Language Proficiency Test Scores
The minimum requirement of various English proficiency tests is given in the following table. Students from English Speaking nations are exempted from these tests. Aspiring applicants need to have at least one of the following minimum scores-
|Exam||Minimum Required score|
|IELTS||6.5 with no band lower than 6.0|
|Cambridge Assessment English||C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency with the Cambridge score of 176 or more|
|CAEL||70 with no part below 60|
|CanTEST||4.5 with no part below 4|
French Language Proficiency
If the applicant first language is not french then he/she must fulfill any one of the following requirements:
- Full-time study in a high school or post-secondary Institute where French is the language of instruction for a minimum of 3 years
- C-1 on the Test de Connaissance Français
- C-1 at the written component of the Test d'évaluation du français
The applicant who fulfills all the requirements except language requirements may also get admission but they are required to study English at the Language Institute before commencing full-time studies.
Laurentian University Country-based Requirements
Apart from submitting English Proficiency Test scores, applicants from the following countries also need to meet the specified academic requirements:
A State Higher Secondary Certificate awarded by a State Board of Higher Secondary Education or;
India and Delhi Senior School Certificate awarded by the Central Board of Secondary Education or;
Indian School Certificate awarded by the Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations
|Bangladesh||Higher Secondary Certificate with Marks Sheet (HSC) and Secondary School Certificate with Marks Sheet (SSC)|
|Nepal||Proficiency Certificate awarded by Tribhuvan University Kathmandu or Higher Secondary Education Board transcript; or a Bachelor's Degree with a Second Division Pass|
|Pakistan||Intermediate/Higher Secondary School Certificate with Marks Sheet (issued by Board of Intermediate Education) and Secondary School Certificate with Marks sheet (issued by Board of Secondary Education)|
|Sri Lanka||Sri Lankan General Certificate of Education Advanced Levels. A minimum grade of C is required in four subject|
VISA Information for International Students
Once the student is accepted to Laurentian University, he/she can apply for a student visa to study in Canada. Documents required for a visa application are -
- Visa fee
- Offer of admission letter from the university
- Financial statement
- Medical fitness proof if required
- Application to the embassy
A study permit is a document that allows the applicant to stay and study in Canada. The length of stay and the duration of a temporary resident visa depend on the country of origin.
Laurentian University Undergraduate Admissions
Laurentian University offers undergraduate programs across 175 fields of study. Over 40 programs are offered in both English and French. Applicants must have completed relevant courses in English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, etc as required by different faculties/departments.
Application portal: Online
Application fee: Not required from domestic students.
Admission Requirements: Applicants who wish to apply for Laurentian University undergraduate admissions must fulfill the following requirements -
- Completed Application
- Official Transcripts
- Minimum 70 % in Class 12 or equivalent
- Applicant must have completed a secondary school diploma equivalent to the Ontario secondary school diploma
- Applicants must meet the minimum academic requirements for their program
- Applicants must meet the country-specific requirements
- Requirements for India -
- All India Secondary School Certificate (awarded by CBSE) with Marks Statement (Standard X)
- Indian School Certificate (awarded by CISCE)/ All India Senior School Certificate (awarded by CBSE) with Marks Statement (Standard XII)
- Language proficiency as required by the program.
Laurentian University Graduate Admissions
The admission requirements for graduate programs at Laurentian University vary with the programs. Applicants are first required to make an application to LU, the university will revert with an email confirmation, providing you with Login credentials of the Application Portal. One can then upload the required documents.
Application portal: Apply here
Application Fee: 133 CAD
- Applicant must have completed a bachelor's degree or its equivalent in a recognized post-secondary institution
- A qualifying year for the applicants holding a 3-year degree might also be considered on a case-by-case basis
- International applicants must evaluate their transcripts, diplomas, accreditations by World Education Services
- Applicants must check the program-specific requirements
- The supervisor will assist some of the program admissions.
The program-specific admission requirements for some of the popular courses at Laurentian University are tabulated below -
|Course||Psychology (MA)||MBA||Interdisciplinary health (MA or MSc)||Architecture (M.Arch.)||Engineering science (M.A.Sc, M.Eng)|
|Undergraduate Degree||Degree in Psychology||Relevant Degree||Degree in Psychology, Human Kinetics, Sociology, or another related field, with an overall average of at least B+ (75%).||An overall average of at least 70% (min. GPA 5.5)||70% for M.Eng and BSc in chemistry/geology/physics/other appropriate disciplines for M.A.Sc.|
|Admission Deadlines||Fall: February 1||Fall: July 15
Winter: Nov 1 Spring: March 1
|Fall: February 28||Fall: February 1||Fall: May 1
Winter: November 1
Spring: March 1
|Recommendations||3 Reference forms from full-time psychology faculty||3 LORs||3 LORs||3 LORs||3 LORs|
|GMAT/GRE||Not Required||Required*||Not Required||Not Required||Not Required|
|Statement of Interest||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
|Additional Requirements||Questionnaire for the students applying to the experimental stream.||-||Supplementary form completed and signed by a potential supervisor||Design Portfolio||Project/thesis supervisor agreement form|
*The GMAT requirements vary according to scores of an undergraduate degree -
|High C (65%)||600 +|
|C+ (66-69%)||575 +|
|B (70-74%)||550 +|
|B+ (75-79%)||525 +|
The applicants will receive a confirmation email from Laurentian's office of admission within 72 hours of applying. If the applicant meets the country and faculty requirements but not the language requirements he/she may still get an offer of admission. They are required to complete the Language Institute Placement Test for getting admission to the full-time undergraduate or graduate program. Applicants are required to pay 500 CAD deposit to reserve their spot.
The official admissions decision will be provided to the applicants by the Office of Admissions via the Applicant Portal - myLaurentian
Ques. When should the applicant apply for a study permit?
Ans. As soon as the applicant gets admitted to Laurentian’s university, he/she should apply for a study permit.
Ques. Is there any support available for the language Institute students?
Ans. Yes, language supports and tutors are available for the students in the English Academic Preparation Program and University Preparations Program.
Ques. Are there any scholarships available for international students?
Ans. Yes, the university offers merit-based scholarships to international students.
Ques. Do international students require a study permit for online programs?
Ans. No, the students do not require a study permit for online programs.
Ques. Is Laurentian University still admitting international students for September 2020?
Ans. Yes. The admissions team continues to process applications and make offers of admission although the majority of our courses will be delivered remotely.