DeGroote School of Business: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
DeGroote School of Business is the first named business school in Canada. It is one of the six faculties of McMaster University. It was founded in 1952 and was renamed in 1992 after successful Canadian entrepreneur and philanthropist McMaster University is one of the only four universities in Canada which ranked among the world's top 100. DeGroote is known for its excellent academics and research. The institution pioneered problem-based learning back in 1960 that came to be known around the world as the McMaster model. It was the first university to offer a co-op MBA program in Canada and created an integrated business and humanities degree. Every year, the business school has an enrollment of around 4,000 students. Notably, 46% of the MBA students are women.
DeGroote School of Business Rankings
DeGroote School of Business is one of the top-ranked business schools in Canada. Some remarkable rankings of the school include:
- One of the top 75 universities in the world according to Times Higher Education University Rankings 2020.
- Ranked 2nd in the world for local and global impact in Times Higher Education University Rankings 2020.
- Also, ranked for offering one of the top three 2-year MBA programs in Canada in Times Higher Education and the Wall Street Journal MBA Ranking 2018.
|Parent Institution||McMaster University|
|Campus Housing Capacity||12%|
|Mode of Program||Full-time, part-time|
|Student Retention Rate||12.7%|
|Admission Helpdesk||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DeGroote School of Business Campus
- DeGroote is one of the six faculties of McMaster University.
- The main campus of McMaster University is located in the Westdale neighbourhood of Hamiliton, Ontario, Canada and is spread across 300 acres of land at the western end of Lake Ontario, between Toronto and Niagara Falls.
- The nearby attractions include UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, Cootes Paradise, Bruce Trail, Waterfront Trail, Royal Botanical Gardens, and the Niagara Escarpment.
- The Innis Library in Kenneth Taylor Hall is dedicated to the business school students. Remarkably, the university has dedicated separate libraries for students from various faculties and ranks 3rd for library acquisitions in Maclean’s University Rankings 2019.
- The University has notable athletic facilities that include 9 gyms, an Olympic-size pool, Ronald Joyce Stadium, Ivor Wynne Stadium, 200m indoor track, squash courts, climbing wall and also one of the largest university fitness centers in Canada.
DeGroote School of Business Residence
- DeGroote School of Business provides on-campus and off-campus housing facilities.
- McMaster University operates and manages 12 on-campus residence buildings.
- The University also offers apartment-style residence namely Bates Residences and Mary E. Keyes Residence.
- Rooms usually include a double bed, desk, chair, garbage bin, dresser, wardrobe, mirror and Wi-Fi access.
- Some common amenities in residence halls include kitchen, living area, dining table, couch, study space, game room and laundry facilities.
- The University also helps students to find suitable and budget friendly off-campus accommodation. Free shuttle service is available.
- A variety of meal plans are available for resident students.
DeGroote School of Business Courses
- Degroote School of Business offers B.Com degrees to undergraduate students in a wide variety of disciplines such as Accounting, Finance, Information Systems, Human Resources and Management, Operations and Management and Marketing and Strategic Management.
- The School also offers the first of its kind Integrated Business and Humanities (IBH) program.
- Degroote also offers renowned MBA and Executive MBA that produce highly paid graduates.
- The School was also the first to offer a co-op MBA program in Canada.
- It also offers specialized graduate programs such as Master of Finance, MSc in eHealth, MSc in Global Health and Master of Health Management.
- Graduate Diploma in Professional Accountancy is a 14-week accredited program that prepares students for Chartered Professional Accountancy.
- Degroote also offers Ph.D programs in Business Administration and Health Policy.
DeGroote School of Business Application Process
International students seeking admission to the DeGroote School of Business must ensure timely submission of application. Applicants are recomended to apply at least 5 months before the semester start date to allow sufficient time for visa processing.
How to Apply?
The process and requirements for admission to DeGroote School of Business are discussed below:
Application Portal: Online Application
Application Fee: Undergraduate - 100 CAD; Graduate - 110-150 CAD (depending on choice of program
Application Deadline: Undergraduate - April 1; Graduate - Differs from program to program
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted along with the application for admission:
- Official transcripts from previously attended institutions
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Two to three academic references
- Statement of interest
- Copy of passport
- Additional program-specific requirements
English Language Requirements
International students whose native language is not English must submit proof of English language proficiency. The accepted examinations and minimum requirements for admission to undergraduate and graduate programs are as follows:
DeGroote School of Business Cost of Attendance
- International students looking forward to studying in Canada must prepare a budget of expenses to be incurred.
- The expenses will mainly include tuition, fees, books and supplies, cost of living in Canada and personal expenses.
|Expenses||Undergraduate (per year in CAD)||Graduate (per year in CAD)|
|Career and Professional Development fees||275||275|
|Housing and Rooms||7,550||7,550|
|Books and Supplies||700||700|
DeGroote School of Business Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Degroote School of Business provides financial aid in the form of loans, bursaries, institutional and private scholarships for international students and opportunity to work on campus.
- Government programs like loans/grants provided by the government are not for international students.
- Scholarships and bursaries are awarded on the basis of academics and extra curricular activities. Some are automatically awarded on the basis of grades but some require a separate application.
- The deadline to apply for bursaries is January 15 and the deadline for scholarship applications is April 29.
- There is a McMaster work program that enables students to work on-campus in more than 100 different McMaster departments/offices and over 1250 job positions.
- Some entrance scholarships awarded to international students entering the MBA program are as follows:
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility||Amount Awarded|
|DeGroote School of Business Scholarship||Students entering the MBA program who demonstrate a high degree of extracurricular involvement.||1,000 CAD each|
|DeGroote School of Management Information System Scholarship||Students enrolled in the MBA program with interest in Management Information System.||1,900 CAD each|
|David Feather Family MBA Scholarship||Students entering full-time or co-op MBA who demonstrate academic achievement, leadership skills,
extracurricular involvement and interest in community service.
|5,000 CAD each|
DeGroote School of Business Alumni Network
- There are more than 195,000 alumni representing 162 countries including Canada
- Some notable alumni of the institute include:
- Sarah Casanova - Chairman of Mcdonald’s Japan
- Mary Lou Mahar - Canadian managing partner, Quality and risk management, KPMG
- Marlie Morrison - Managing director, Marketing & Sales
- Mark John Stewart - Managing Director of Wentworth strategy group
- The McMaster Alumni Association has various partners around the world who provide exclusive benefits and services to the members of the alumni association. Some of these benefits include:
- Cashback and discounts on annual fee of BMO McMaster MasterCard
- ManuLife Financial offers affordable insurance plans on life, health and dental insurance
- Offers through ManuLife Bank
- Exclusive savings on TD Insurance
- Reduced membership fee on Athletic and Recreation facilities
- Access to McMaster library resources
DeGroote School of Business Placements
DeGroote School of Business organizes workshops that enhance skills for internships and prepares them for jobs after graduation. Career and professional development team helps students in career development, strategic employer partnerships and experiential learning at Degroote. It gives access to one-on-one coaching sessions, group workshops and roundtables, alumni connections and networking events, corporate partner information sessions, specialized industry training and online career tools.
Statistics show that 97% of graduates of MBA Co-op are employed after six months with an average salary of 47,000 CAD. It ranked 98th worldwide in graduate employability and 4th in Canada in QS World University Ranking 2019.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://www.degroote.mcmaster.ca/
Round 1 Deadlines
Round 2 Deadlines
Round 3 Deadlines
QS World University
Academy Ranking of World Universities
RANKED #151 - #200
I came to know about this business school through my relatives living in Ottawa, Canada. Actually, I started looking for colleges in Canada right after the completion of my BBA with 80% marks. I always dreamed about pursuing my post-graduation in MBA from abroad. I applied in three business schools including DeGroote, the business school was cheaper as compared to others therefore, I preferred it over others.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum of this business school is little bit different from the others. Not only the theoretical, but practical subjects also in the course. To develop the confidence level in the students presentations are also given by the students on the topics allocated. Guest lecture are also commenced in which new marketing trends and many other aspects are discussed.
- Book Store
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary