Stephen J.R. Smith School of Business: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Located in Kingston, Ontario, Stephen J.R. Smith School of Business is one of the premier business schools renowned in the list of higher education institutes of Canada. It is a public university which was earlier known as Queen’s School of Business. The school has been accredited by the world’s largest business school accreditation body which is The Association of Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International).
The school is a member of the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) and has also achieved unconditional EQUIS accreditation in the year 2006. Renamed after the University's esteemed alumnus Mr. Stephen Smith, the institute world-acclaimed 55 undergraduate, graduate and executive programs in business for international aspirants seeking to study in Canada.
It is among the premier business schools in Canada offering entrepreneurship programs and is also the pioneer in launching the First Graduates Business degree in AI. With an acceptance rate of nearly 46%, the institute is a moderately competitive organization to get into. Hoeveer, its high employment rate of over 97% makes it a coveted choice among candidates as it ensures some of the high-paying jobs in Canada for its graduates.
- The overall MBA rank of the university is 80 out of 100 and regionally the rank is 47 out of 100 given by The Economist.
- According to the Financial Times, Smith School of Business is ranked in the 27th position in 2020 in terms of Best Executive Education.
- Its master of the International Business program has been ranked No. 1 in North America in 2017 Financial Times rankings.
|Type of University||Business School|
|Number of Undergraduate Seats||475 year 1|
|Number of Postgraduate Seats||80|
|Percentage of International Students||60%|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||46%|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||45,790 CAD, for the first year|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Graduate International Students||79,000-95,000 ACD|
|Test Scores Accepted||GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL/PTE|
Campus and Accommodation
- The Smith School of Business is located in the Goodes Hall on the campus of Queen’s University.
- The school is located in Kingston which is within a three hour drive from Toronto, Montréal or Ottawa, and less than six hours to New York City or Boston.
- About 80% of the population in the campus is involved in sports or other recreational activities.
- There are more than 300 student clubs running in the campus meeting the interest of almost every student.
- The Kingston/Norman Rogers Airport is in a close proximity of 10kms from the centre of the University.
- There are 17 residence buildings with all the modern facilities and layouts and all the buildings are unique and different providing home to more than 4500 graduates and undergraduates.
- The University has this thing called Living Learning Communities (LLCs) where students with similar interests live on the same floor or live together in clusters.
- In the LLC there are various floors like the Creative Arts Floor, Active Learning Floor, Eco-Friendly Floor, Leadership Floor and many more.
- Off-campus students have to seek rented rooms in Kingston.
- Various food outlets are available on campus to meet the needs of every student.
- The Smith School of Business offers both undergraduate and graduate programs and also a few certificates in business.
- The most prestigious undergraduate business program in Canada is the Bachelor of Commerce at Smith School of Business.
- The certificate programs have been designed for Arts and Science and Engineering and Nursing students.
- There are different types of MBA available in the Smith School such as Executive MBA, Full-time MBA and Accelerated MBA for Business Graduates.
- Other than MBA programs there are various other graduate programs available on the basis of Research based programs and Professional programs.
- The research-based programs include Master of Science in Management and Doctoral Program in Management.
- The Professional programs include Master of International Business, Graduate Diploma in Business, Master of Management Analytics, etc.
Stephen J.R. Smith School of Business: Application process
Application Portal: Application for undergraduate and graduate students is done through the OUAC application portal
- Base Application Fee - 150 CAD for any 3 program choices,
- Additional Choice Fee - 50 CAD/choice of program
- International Service Fee - 10 CAD, for non-Canadian citizens
The full-time MBA program has no application fee.
General Requirements – Official Transcripts, GMAT/GRE Scores, Work Experience for MBA Programs, WES Credential Evaluation Assessment, Two Professional References.
Additional Requirements - Personal statement, Supplementary Essay for commerce students, Interview, Copy of passport, Valid Student visa
For the full-time MBA program, applicants have to apply for a preliminary assessment first by filling the online application form. The application form is to be filled later once an academic advisor has contacted you.
Accepted tests for English Proficiency
|Language Test||Minimum Score Requirement|
|TOEFL||Overall 88 in Internet based (iBT) and 580 in Paper based (PBT)|
|IELTS||An academic score of 6.5 with no band below 6.0|
|CAEL||70 overall; 60 in each band|
|PTE||Overall score of 60|
|Duolingo Test||Minimum score of 110|
Stephen J.R. Smith School of Business: Cost of Attendance
For all the prospective candidates hoping to enroll at the institute in the upcoming sessional year, an estimated cost of living in Canada is as been tabulated below:
|Program||Tuition Fee (CAD)|
|Smith Bachelor of Commerce||45,790 for 1 year.|
|Smith MSc Management||12,927.45|
|Smith PhD. Management||12,927.45|
|Full Time MBA||95,000|
|16 month Executive MBA||102,000|
|17 month Executive MBA Americas||139,865|
The institute provides a range of awards and scholarships in Canada for international students. The school offers various scholarships to the meritorious students who aspire to pursue MBA which includes the following:
General entrance Scholarships - Given to 50% of students with strong profiles from 10,000 CAD to entire program cost.
Named Scholarships - Costa Rica Scholarship, Dean's MBA Admission, Jim Leach, John, and Helen McKay Scholarships.
Scholarships offered specifically to international students -
- Scholarships for students from developing countries
- Canadian Gov scholarships for international students
There is a loan provided only for International Students by the MPOWER Financing and Prodigy Financing. The loans for domestic applicants are provided by the government itself.
Entrance scholarships are available for both domestic and International students which is provided on the basis of academic excellence. There are other government scholarships as well which only for the Canadian Students and the permanent residents.
- There are many benefits of an Alumni member; The Career Advancement Centre at Smith School helps the Alumni to transform their careers.
- There are discounts available on Executive Education Programs, Insurance and many other services.
- A few notable alumni – Gordon Nixon : Former President, CEO of the Royal Bank of Canada; Donald J. Carty : Chairman of Porter Airlines and eRewards; Kimbal Musk : entrepreneur and venture capitalist.
There is a career advancement centre team which helps the students to find the right job. About 90% of the Full time MBA students get employed before graduation and 97% of them get employed within 3 months of graduation.
The average starting compensation received by the MBA graduate from Smith School of Business is CAD 110,860.
FIND A PROGRAM
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary