Mount Saint Vincent University is a primarily undergraduate public university which attracts a large number of students for the reason of its specialty in programs, small class sizes and location. It was established in 1873 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Why Choose Mount Saint Vincent University?
Mount Saint Vincent University offers an innovative mix of academic programs. Some unique features of the university are mentioned below:
Key features at a glance
- Each year, hundreds of students benefit from more than CAD 1.9 million in scholarships and bursaries associated with the university.
- It is a home to a nationally recognized art gallery
- Only University in Canada to hold a Chair in Learning Disabilities
- The University recently launched first joint interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Educational Studies in Atlantic Canada in conjunction with Acadia University and St. Francis Xavier University
- It is the only Atlantic Canadian University to offer Child and Youth Study
- BBA 2014 alumni Christine Qin Yang shares that the Mount has so many great events, interesting initiatives, and a great network. She believes that new graduates, including myself, simply need to get there and be involved.
|Type of university||Public|
|Number of Undergraduate Seats||3,004|
|Number of Postgraduate Seats||839|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Undergraduate International Students||CAD 10,000-12,500|
|Basic Tuition Fee, Postgraduate International Students||CAD 12,500-15,000|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEFL, GRE, IELTS|
Explore the Beautiful Campus of Mount Saint Vincent University
The university has 40 acres of lush green space with modern and classical buildings.
Unique research facilities on campus
- Atlantic Centre for Research and Education of Girls and Women
- Atlantic Root Symbiosis Laboratory
- Bone Development Laboratory
- Centre for Arts-informed Research and Teaching
- Food Action Research Centre (FoodARC)
- The Catherine Wallace Centre for Women in Science
- The Child Study Centre
- The Institute for Women, Gender and Social Justice
- The Maritime Data Centre for Aging Research and Policy Analysis
- The Nova Scotia Centre on Aging
- Social Economy and Sustainability Network
- Rooms at MSVU are available at first come first serve basis and the description of residence and fee chart for the same is given below:
Birch Townhouses - Budget Residence Room
- Those who wish to stay by themselves, this is perfect for those group of people. Each townhouse has 20 single bedrooms, kitchen area, a common TV lounge, laundry and home-style washroom facilities.
Assisi Hall - Budget Residence Room
- Here, each guestroom features a single bed, sink, closet, desk and linens.
- It is a superb building for young groups as the 24-hour security desk is located in the main lobby.
- Every other floor in this 12-story building has a lounge which features a small fridge, microwave, kettle, iron and board, and color TV with cable.
- 13-14 people can be accommodated in each floor.
Westwood - Premium singles and Apartments
- Westwood is home to apartment-style units. It can accommodate up to 123 guests.
- Most of these units consist of a kitchen, living room, two full baths and four single bedrooms.
- There are some single dormitory style rooms available in this building as well as some smaller apartments.
Choose the Right One from Different Programs Offered
MSVU offers over 70 programs, further divided into undergraduate, graduate, certificate, diplomas and online learning. The university also offers Bachelor of Arts in Child and Youth Study which is the only one of its kind in the Atlantic region.
The programs are divided into the following 8 categories:
|Bachelor of Arts||Graduate Studies|
|Bachelor of Science||Education|
|Professional Studies||Certificates and Diplomas|
|Learning in Action||Online Learning|
Flexibility to Choose Your Schedule
A student can choose the various schedules from the following:
- Full time
- Full-time with co-op
All You Need to Know About the Application Process
Different programs at the institute are subject to different application procedures. Here are a few common steps that one has to follow to fill in the application form.
- For Undergraduate or Diploma Programs, students must have at least 60% overall, and in top 3 majors it must be at least 50%.
- For Masters Programs, the overall score of the students must be at least 60%.
- Language Requirements:
UG/Diploma Programs – IELTS 6.5 Bands overall and no band less than 6.0
Master Programs – IELTS 7.0 Bands overall and no band less than 6.5
TOEFL IBT scores should be in between 86 to 92.
Points to Ponder:
- MSVU will accept Indian students for Master’s Program who have completed 15 years of education as long as they meet University requirements and the basic requirements for graduate study includes a 4 Year Bachelor Degree completed with 3.0 GPA.
- The University will issue a conditional offer if the student has not submitted IELTS OR Final Year Degree.
- SAT score is optional for Undergraduate Admissions.
- MSVU waives off English Language Requirement if the student has completed a minimum of 2 years in English.
How, when and where to apply?
- Visit the official website of the university.
- Fill in the online application online through the official website.
- Mail your original documents to the address below:
Mount Saint Vincent University
166 Bedford Highway, Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3M 2J6, CANADA
- Application fee to be paid is CAD 40 for undergraduate courses and CAD 50 for graduate courses. You can pay the same via credit card.
How Much Does it Cost to Study in MSVU?
Candidates will have to show a proof of finance while applying for student visa. The tuition fee charged by MSVU varies from course to course and on the place of residency.
Fee for International Students
|Undergraduate Course Fee (10 Courses)||CAD 16,586 - CAD 16,969|
|Graduate Course Fee||CAD 11,409|
Tentative months to pay the tuition fee for various sessions
Easy Housing Plans
|Birches 1–4||CAD 9,782*|
|Birch 5||CAD 5,975 plus CAD 908 in flex cash for food services|
|Westwood (dorm style)||CAD 10,599*|
|Westwood, per occupant||CAD 6,871 plus CAD 908 in flex cash for food services|
Financial Aids to Help Students Fund their Education
MSVU offers several scholarships and bursaries to new and continuing graduate students. Following are the type of scholarships available at the university:
|Admission Scholarship||Graduate Scholarship|
|External Scholarship||Undergraduate Scholarship|
|Need-based Scholarship||In-course Scholarship|
Work While You Study
Students can work on campus while studying at the institute. They will have to fulfill the following conditions.
- Study full time in a program
- Have a valid study permit
- Have a SIN (Social Insurance Number)
- Can work a maximum of 20 hours/ week during the school year
- Can work full time during school holidays
Students can also work off campus while studying at the institute. They will have to fulfill the following conditions.
- Have a valid study permit
- Study full time in a program at a recognized institution.
- Have already started studying
- Studying to obtain a degree, diploma or certificate with duration of at least 6 months
- Have a SIN (Social Insurance Number)
How to get a SIN?
SIN is mandatory in order to work on campus or off campus and for tax purposes. It is no way related to a person’s health insurance number. A social number is valid until the end of your stay or a maximum 5 years. You can renew the same if necessary.
One can obtain SIN by going in person to Service Canada office along with the following documents:
- Your Passport
- Your study permit
- Your off campus work permit/ co-op/internship program permit.
Work After Graduation
One can work post their graduation after obtaining a work permit. The post-graduation work permit is valid for the same duration as that of the last study program you have completed. Students have to fulfill the following conditions.
- Must have been a full-time student in Canada
- Completed with a study program with a minimum duration of 8 months
- Apply for the work permit within 90 days of receiving a document declaring completion of studies.
- Must have a valid study permit.
Knowing a Few from the Wide Alumni Network
Mount Saint Vincent University is a home to more than 30,000 notable alumnae around the world, out of which are some are listed below:
- Ryan Cochrane: Olympic athlete
- Paul D. McNair: Canadian executive, non-profit sector
- Anne Murray: Canadian singer
- Richard Henryk Zurawski: Politician, Green Party of Canada
- Matt DeCourcey: Canadian Politician
- Catherine McKinnon: Canadian actress
- Matt Robinson: Canadian poet
- Rejean Cournoyer: Canadian actor
- Susan Sullivan: Canadian Politician
- Clark Walton: Canadian Politician