University Canada West (UCW) Vancouver Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fees & Scholarships
University Canada West (UCW) is a private, for-profit university in British Columbia, Canada, which offers a range of career-focused programs including Bachelor of Arts in Business Communication and Master of Business Administration. It is worthy of note that the university has Education Quality Assurance Accreditation (EQA) and Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). UCW has also been ranked among top ten online universities in Canada.
The university has two campuses in Vancouver - West Pender Street and Vancouver House (October 2020). UCW enrolls 3700+ students from more than 45 countries in four sessions throughout the year. Aspiring applicants can apply for University Canada West admissions in January, April, July and October.
University Canada West Rankings
The following are the noteworthy University of Canada West (UCW) rankings by various agencies and organizations:
- According to UniRank Rankings, the university is placed at 74th in the list of Canadian Universities and 4770th in the list of World Universities.
- According to Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021, UWC is ranked 601 to 801st and 401 to 500th according to Times Higher Education US College Rankings 2021
- #171-#221 Best Colleges among National Liberal Arts Colleges
- University Canada West’s MBA programs are ranked #4 in ApplyBoard’s top 10 Canadian university programs.
University Canada West at a Glance
|Nature of University||Private, For-profit|
|Total number of nationalities (of students on campus)||45|
|Language of Instruction||English|
|Language Tests||IELTS - Minimum band 6|
Top Programs at University Canada West
University Canada West Campus
- University Canada West campuses are located in downtown Vancouver- New Vancouver House Campus and West Pender Campus
- It’s other campus, the London Building History, occupies six floors of the heritage-designated structure and is cited only steps away from public transit, which includes the Waterfront SkyTrain Station, the SeaBus Terminal, and bus routes.
- The student body on campus at UCW is made up of up to 52 different nationalities. The average class size is 20-22 students
University Canada West Residence
- UCW does not provide any kind of on-campus accommodation.
- University Canada West is into partnership with 4stay, a SaaS-Enabled marketplace for student and intern housing, to make a variety of housing and affordable rooms available to students for rent purposes around the University campus and Greater Vancouver.
- Room features include bed(s), closet, beddings, tiled or wooden floor, chair, table, drawer, curtains, and room lamps.
- There is a 100,000 CAD housing insurance for students at 4stay. There is also a flexible cancellation policy and room reservation doesn’t require any deposit.
Programs offered at UCW
- University Canada West offers various programs including undergraduate, graduate and short courses.
- Some of the popular undergraduate courses include Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Arts in Business Communication and Associate of Arts.
- Popular graduate degree programs at UCW include master of business administration and MBA foundation.
- Some of the short courses are Blockchain Project Management Certificate Program, Blockchain Entrepreneurship (BE), Certified Marketing Professional DMI and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
Application Process at UCW
International students seeking admissions at the UCW can follow the below-mentioned admission details:
Where to apply?
Application portal: Online application.
Application Fee: 150 CAD
UCW Admission Deadlines
There may be variation in the application deadline set by this prestigious institution but applicants are to take note of the below mentioned deadlines:
Supporting documents -
- Equivalent of a Canadian high school (Grade 12) diploma, with an overall average of C or better (2.00 on a 4.33 scale)
- Translated official transcripts if not in English (official high school all post-secondary institutions)
- Completed application form
- Proof of English language proficiency
|Test||Minimum score required|
|IELTS||6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in the writing section|
|TOEFL (iBT)||88 overall with a minimum of 20 in each section|
|PTE Academic||61 overall with a minimum score of 60 in the writing section|
|CAEL||70 overall with a minimum of 60 in each section|
|Duolingo||Overall of 105|
|Password||6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in the writing section|
International students who have fulfilled all the requirements and have received an official letter of acceptance from University Canada West are then required to apply for a student visa to study in Canada. A study permit is issued by the Canadian government and a student visa is issued along with it, if required, depending on your home country.
Students are required to login to the Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) website and apply for a student visa. Submit the following documents -
- Acceptance letter issued by University Canada West
- Proof of Financial Support
- Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of 10,000 CAD
- Valid Passport
- Medical reports (if applicable)
- Recent passport-size photographs
Applicants then will then attend a visa interview. Student visas are usually processed within 90 days or sooner.
Cost of Attendance at UCW
For international candidates aspiring to study at the UCW, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada. The list of basic expenses to be considered while applying for admissions is mentioned below.
|Phone and Internet||720-1,800|
|Book, supplies, and miscellaneous||1,500-2,500|
Financial Aids at UCW
- Financial aids available for international students at UCW include scholarships, grants, student jobs, and external aids.
- International students have to apply for scholarships through International Scholarship Application form.
- Scholarships available for international students at UCW include:
- Scholarships for Academic Excellence for International students: With a value of 10,000-20,00 CAD each year, this is given to students with excellent academic grades, who have applied for a Scholarship & Award Application at the time of applying for admission to UCW.
- Southeast Asia Regional Grant: This scholarship is available to international students from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, and Vietnam. It carries a value of 9,450-18,900 CAD and application is done through the Scholarship & Award Application form when applying for admission
- Canadian Bureau for International Education scholarships: This organization offers varying scholarships such as Excellence Awards to deserving international students.
Placements at UCW
- At UCW, 88% of MBA graduates got a job within three months of graduation.
- 100% of MBA graduates have secured a job within six months of graduation.
- Free practical workshops that include networking skills and personal branding are taught to students.
- 67% of MBA graduates at UCW have secured a job within a month of graduation.
- MBA graduates at UCW can earn up to 55,000 CAD to 150,000 CAD every year.
With obtaining an off-campus work permit from CIC, International students with work permits may work up to 20 hours on a weekly basis. The following requirements are to be met by current students in order to be eligible for an off-campus work permit:
- valid study permit
- full-time studentship for 6 months preceding the date of your work permit application.
- GPA of at least 2.0 and 3.0 for undergraduates and graduates respectively.
Ques. What is the average class size of the University of Canada West?
Ans. UWC’s average class size is 20-25 students. The class sizes are intentionally limited to this number for better peer-to-peer interaction, and to enable the instructor more time for each student.
Ques. Can students work while attending university?
Ans. Yes. International students with work visas may work up to 20 hours on a weekly basis. The following requirements are to be met by current students in order to be eligible for an off-campus work permit:
valid study permit
full-time studentship for 6 months preceding the date of your work permit application.
GPA of at least 2.0 and 3.0 for undergraduates and graduates respectively.
Ques. Is there an orientation exercise conducted by the university or the city of Vancouver for fresh students?
Ans. Yes. The orientation course conducted by the university for students is aimed at learning about the university, familiarizing themselves with the campus, meeting administration staff, and finding out where to ask for help if need be.
Ques. How do I register for a program at University Canada West?
Ans. To register for a program at University Canada West, applicants are to fill out the inquiry form and wait to be contacted by the recruitment advisor shortly. The university’s recruitment advisors can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org, 1 778 655 3702.
Ques. What computer services will students have access to?
Ans. Students have access to a full computer lab, as well as wireless Internet at the Vancouver campus.
Ques. Is on-campus housing made available by the University Canada West for students?
Ans. UWC does not offer on-campus housing facilities. However, many residential accommodations are available in close proximity to the campus.
Ques. As an international student, how much is the application fee?
Ans. 150 CAD
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I didn't have any work experience. This was the only university that was accepting international students with no work experience. So, I thought this is the best option I could get for the amount I'll be paying. This university has more visa approvals than any other.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is very sorted. Right now I'm taking 3 courses this term. I can take 4 as well and complete the course soon. The syllabus is different for each course. Most of them involves buying an e text book and a software for the academic period where all the assignments and quizzes are included. Example- for accounting there's a software called Wiley plus , on purchasing this software for 3 months. I can't get an e text book and other practice tests.
I came to know about this college through a study abroad college seminar, and after understanding the process, I applied for it through the online college portal and paid an application fee of $150. I chose this college because of its diversity.
Course Curriculum :
It was mostly theory and calculations, so practice and consistency were required in order to do well in my semester. However through this course I have learnt many business fundamentals and communication development.
After shortlisting several universities, I opted for UCW, as it is an innovative business and technology-oriented, teaching-focused institution in Canada, offering applied undergraduate and graduate degrees for domestic and international students. My GPA was 7. I had to submit an online form costing around $150.
Course Curriculum :
Master of Business Administration degree challenges us in areas vital to business operation and administration and thoroughly prepares students for undertaking various kinds of business roles. It develops core competencies in critical thinking, persuasive communication, system analysis, leadership, and business ethics.
This university drew my attention because of its culture and educational standards. Also, since a degree from this college will be beneficial to my future, I applied via the online application form and paid the $150 application fee. Other than this all my previous marks were taken into account.
Course Curriculum :
Our curriculum emphasized realistic experience over quantitative knowledge and our college insisted that the only way to understand something is to do it. We had many opportunities for hands-on learning here, as well as the opportunity to study with other students and explore different cultures with them.
One of my cousins was a student in this institution. I was speaking with her, and she expressed her admiration for the university. This had a major effect on my thoughts about university. I applied to this university immediately after finishing my high school through an online application form and paid $150 application fee.
Course Curriculum :
My course included in-depth understanding of the subject and helped me improve leadership and management skills. Management accounting, financial management, brand management, and other topics that expanded basic business management skills were among the core subjects.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary