Langara College: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Langara College, founded in 1965 is a distinguished public institution under the Provincial College and Institute act. The college stands in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The college is popularly known as 'House of teachings' and is recognized for its commitment to quality in teaching, advanced resources, and economic development. Admission at Langara College is offered more than 90 programs and over 850 courses.
The application deadline for post-degree diploma programs at Langara college are September, January and May. International students are required to pay an application fee of CAD 155 at the time of application. 21,000 students study in the college in 2020 out of which, around 6300 are international students from 93 countries. In 2020, Langara College received research funds of around CAD 900,000 from various agencies, while the faculty has received research grants of over CAD 1 million in the past five years.
Langara School of Nursing has been named as “School of the Year” at the Canadian Nursing Students’ Association (CNSA) and the School of Management is ranked in the top 6 business schools in Canada. The institution is quite famous for its programs and inclination in Sustainability and Human Rights.
Langara College Highlights
|Type of University||Government Funded - Public|
|Total Number of International Students||6301|
|Total intake of students||23,212|
|Intake Sessions||Fall, Spring, and Summer|
|Tuition fee range||11,460 to 18,140 USD / year|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEFL, IELTS, CAEL, Langara English Test (LET) or Language Proficiency Index (LPI)|
Langara College Rankings
- The college has been ranked 5763 in World by the Ranking Web of Universities 2021.
- The college has been ranked 81 in the Country by the Ranking Web of Universities 2021.
- The School of Management has been ranked among the top 6 business schools in Canada.
- The college has been ranked 6147 for its excellence in World by the Ranking Web of Universities 2021.
Popular Programs Offered at Langara College
- Langara College offers more than 90 programs and over 850 courses. The college offers certificate, associate of science degrees, an associate of art degrees, diploma, and post-degree programs.
- The college offers programs in Regular studies and Continuing Studies.
- The programs are majorly offered in the following areas of study;
- Science and Technology
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- The popular programs offered by the college are Bachelor's in Business Administration, BSc in Nursing, BSc in Bioinformatics, Bachelors in International Business Management, and Bachelors in Recreation Management.
- The college offers also offers online courses, exchange programs, co-operative education, and degree partnerships.
Top Programs at Langara College
|Programs||Fee Per Annum|
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing||$14,071|
|Diploma in Accounting||$13,275|
|Diploma in Business Management||$15,266|
|Diploma in Computer Studies||$15,266|
|Diploma in Marketing Management||$15,266|
|Diploma in Journalism||$34,515|
|Diploma in Applied Science for Engineering||$13,275|
|Diploma in Fine Arts||$17,700|
|Diploma in Nutrition and Food Service Management||$14,160|
|Diploma in Criminology||$13,275|
|Diploma in Bioinformatics||$17,257|
|Diploma in Financial Services||$13,275|
Langara College Campus
- Langara College is operated on two campuses. The main campus is located at 49th Avenue, Vancouver and the other campus is in West Broadway, Vancouver.
- The college campus is beautifully built over large areas with world-class facilities, 8 major buildings, library, studio, cafeteria, bookstore, daycare, labs, gymnasium, recreational and athletic facilities.
- The campus classrooms are small and well-equipped with superior conveniences, computer systems, fast internet connectivity, etc. to provide quality education.
- The college runs various clubs and organizations, which are responsible to organize various leisure activities, events for the students. The popular clubs run by the college are:
- Arts and Media Club
- Cultural Clubs
- Sports and Recreational Club
- Special Interest Clubs
Langara College Residence
- Langara College does not offer on-campus accommodation facilities to the students, but the college offers homestay and off-campus accommodation.
- The homestay and off-campus accommodation are comfortable with all the modern facilities. The basic amenities provided at this accommodation are well-furnished rooms with a single bed, study desk, chair, fan, and Wi-Fi.
- Students opting for homestay and off-campus accommodation can expect an expense of 350 CAD to 750 CAD monthly.
Langara College Application Process
Application Portal: Applicants can apply through the Online Application Portal available at the college's official website.
Application Fees: 155 CAD (Non-refundable)
Application Deadlines: The deadlines for Canadian universities vary with the course, therefore students are recommended to check the deadlines before applying for any course.
|Basic Educational Requirements||British Columbia (BC) secondary program (Grade 12) or equivalent
19 years (+)
|Document Requirement||Completed Langara College Application Form
Official transcripts/mark sheets/academic records
Proof of English proficiency
Proof of Medical Insurance
|Application Fee||155 CAD (114 USD)|
|Link to Apply||Apply Here|
Required Documents for Langara College
Following documents are required for the application process
- A completed application
- Official transcripts or high school records, diplomas, and certificates from previous institutions
- Official English Translation of the transcripts (If the transcripts are not in English)
- English language proficiency
- Standardized test scores like SAT, ACT, GMAT, GRE
- Statement of Purpose to study in Canada
- Financial Statement if applicants are seeking financial aids.
- Study Permit
- A copy of Valid Passport
- Proof of Medical Insurance
Langara College English Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants with a native language other than English need to prove their proficiency by providing scores of TOEFL, IELTS, CAEL. It is important to be noted that all International Students should apply to the college at least 6 months before the deadline.
|TOEFL||Paper-based: 550; essay score 4.0; Internet-based: 80; 18 in Listening, 20 in Reading, 18 in Speaking, and 20 in Writing|
|LPI (Language Proficiency Index)||Level 4 with essay 24|
It is important to note that language proficiency test is essential for successful admission, however, each program has a separate required test like SAT/GMAT/ACT/GRE which must be looked upon. Here, we are providing details of basic educational requirements that must be kept handy before submitting the final application.
For International Students, it is important to know the details of the program the candidate is willing to apply to. It is best to know requirements like deadlines, fees, documents, and intake periods.
- Your application will take at least 2-3 weeks to process, once accepted, the college will send an “Offer of Admission” letter.
- After Confirmation of the acceptance by your end, submit an International Student Deposit of 6000 CAD (4500 USD)
- This fee will be applied to the tuition fee after the successful commencement of the program by your end.
- Apply for study permit & Visa for study in Canada.
Langara College Tuition Fees
|Tuition Fees||15,400 USD/Year|
|Tuition Fees (per semester) for Post-Degree Diploma in Nursing Practice in Canada||USD 4,150.00|
Langara College Additional Expenses
The cost of living in Canada mentioned is the estimated amount. The amount may exceed in some cases as the costs mentioned under, cover only the basic necessities.
|Estimated living costs with homestay||Cost (USD)|
|Student fees (includes extended health and dental, and U-Pass)||360|
|Books and supplies||1120|
|Medical plan coverage||820|
|Entertainment and recreation||900|
|Total estimated living costs||28,550|
Langara College Alumni
- Langara College has a strong network of more than 100,000 alumni from countries across the globe. The college has a separate alumni association which is responsible for conducting various events, meetups and provides opportunities to learn new skills and meet new people and enhance career network.
- The alumni association also offers a library and career service access, networking events, discounts, toastmasters club, etc.
- The college takes pride in honoring its alumni with the Outstanding Alumni Award.
- Some notable alumni are:
- Sam Sullivan (Canadian Politician)
- Gary Mason (Canadian Journalist)
- Gaurav Sharma (Indian Author)
- Daniel Doheny (Canadian Actor)
- Ujjal Dosanjh (Canadian Lawyer and Politician)
Langara College Financial Aids and Scholarships
Bursaries and scholarships both via the college and by the Canadian education ministry. Departmental scholarships and bursaries are available which can help the deserving. Each stream has a number of scholarships and bursaries of variable amounts.
- Amount – USD 3020 each (bursaries), USD 8,500 (Emergency Aid Fund)
- International student scholarships of USD 850 each
- Student Work Assistance Program (SWAP)- paid employment for students of financial need
- Work on Campus (WOC) is merit-based hiring and depends on the entrance test on a broader scale
Career Development at Langara College
The college runs a co-op and career development center in which career-oriented activities nurture student's individual qualities and fast-track their career in respective fields. The college offers career development workshops, resume templates, resources, and job opportunities.
In-time employment course, co-operative education opportunities, interview practice paper, career talks are also provided to help students in building good career skills. The college also offers work-study opportunities to students, which strengthens them financially and also delivers excellent knowledge with high practical relevance in the field.
Langara College FAQs
Ques. When does Langara College offer admission to Post-Degree Diploma programs?
Ans. Langara College offers admission to Post-Degree Diploma programs in three sessions per year- January, May, September.
Ques. What is the average cost of attendance at Langara College?
Ans. Students can expect an average cost of attendance of 11,640 CAD to 18,140 CAD at Langara College.
Ques. What are the various financial aid options available to international students?
Ans. International students are offered financial aid in the form of loans, grants, and scholarships. The college also offers work-study to strengthen students financially.
Ques. How can I meet English Proficiency Requirements as all the English Language test centers are closed due to pandemic?
Ans. Students can take TOEFL-iBT Special Home Edition or Duolingo English Test online from a computer with a camera. Certified results are available within two days and can be shared with Langara College.
Ques. What resources does Langara College provide to international students to support online learning from home country?
Ans. Langara College provides various services to international students to start courses in the fall from their home country. Some resources that are available include Student Success Workshops, Virtual Learning Support, International Education System.
Ques. As an international student, how can I apply to Langara College?
Ans. International applicants can apply through the online application portal available at the university’s official website. One can apply online for the desired course.
Ques. When can I expect the final decision regarding my admission to Langara College?
Ans. After applying, it may take up to 3 to 4 weeks for the successful processing of application and arrival of decision. Students are notified about the admission decision via post or email.
Ques. When does the registration open? Will courses be online?
Ans. The college has Limited enrolment registration for regular studies open November 16, 2020, for the Spring Semester 2021. Check the registration guide and Course schedule for more information.
Ques. Are GRE/ GMAT scores required for graduate admissions?
Ans. Yes, Langara College considers GRE/ GMAT scores while reviewing for admissions to graduate courses.
Ques. Will there be any concession in Tuition as online classes are offered because of the ongoing pandemic?
Ans. No, there be no concession in Tuition. Although courses will be delivered online students will receive the same high quality of instruction and the same course credit as face-to-face instruction,
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://apply.educationplannerbc.ca/
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I heard many good things about the college before i even applied from my friends who were in langara back then.
Course Curriculum :
Curriculum was up to date but i wish we were provided with more exposure into the canadian work industry practically. We studied about how to survive the local work industry but i wish we had little bit more practical experience
I chose Langara as it was one of the best colleges in Vancouver for international students and has a great selection of courses to choose from. Langara instructors are experts in their fields and share their valuable experience with the students. Moreover it offer flexibility in scheduling and the cost of studying here relatively lower as compared to most universities, but the quality of education is same, if not better than rest of the post secondary schools in the city.
Course Curriculum :
At Langara, students are offered flexibility to choose their own courses and make their schedules, which makes it quite convenient for the students to manage their studies. A l Langara course final grade is made up of several small segments formed by assignments, quizzes, participation, exams and projects, which makes it easier for a student to pass a course, if they do bad at one thing, they can make up for it in the other, that way the grades don't drop a lot. I personally find this very helpful and convenient.
When the thought of studying abroad came in my mind, this was the first university that came on my mind as my sister is an alumni of this university. I paid $100 for the admission fee and applied through the online college portal. I submitted my 10 and 12 marksheets where I met the required percentage of 60% and my IELTS scores were too taken into consideration. I had scored 7.5.
Course Curriculum :
Through this course, I have understood the basic fundamentals of business and marketing. I have also learnt various skill set such as how to start a business and finance related information.
Web Development and Basic coding was all I could successfully do throughout my Bachelors back home in India and Langara had a specific post degree program with 3 years of work visa available after graduation in regards to my interest. The program has course work picked up referred by bigger universities as well as was affordable when put side to side with other university affiliated programs with decent post graduation opportunities.
Course Curriculum :
Front End development such as HTML, CSS, JS, Vectors, Graphics which is used for the development of websites and basic applications are all part of the program however no industrial exposure is available to us by the college itself and it's upto us to go and find internships and only has a limited amount of projects built in however I would describe the program as being extremely relevant to the side of Web Dev. but could use insight on the teaching of more advanced languages in the future.
I wanted to join this university as they offers a lot of facilities with amazing curriculum. Also, most of the faculty members here are PhD holders with a lot experience. My GPA was 7. I had to submit an online form for an application fe eof $40.
Course Curriculum :
While we can choose from a wide range of history courses, they will develop a common core of essential skills. Students will learn to read with understanding so they can critically evaluate conflicting evidence. In an increasingly complex world, it is imperative that students/citizens know how to evaluate data, understand the importance of context in shaping events and attitudes, and think and reason in a logical manner.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Train Station
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary