University of Quebec in Outaouais: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The University of Quebec in Outaouais (UQO), was founded in 1981, it is a part of the Université du Québec System. The University enrolls nearly 5,000 undergraduates and 1,000 graduates every year. The University has 2 campuses of which, St. Jerome campus is relatively new and opened its gates in 2010. The University offers various scholarships and financial aid options for students and also advises international students to first look for financial assistance available in their own country.
There are 12 departments offering undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, certificates and diplomas. UQO is the only institute in Canada to offer degree programs in Heritage, French Comic Strip Writing, French Writing and Translation and Museology. On-job training is a prominent feature of programs offered at the University of Quebec. The University offers programs in both French and English languages. Students seeking admission to the university are required to demonstrate a certain level of French proficiency for admission. According to Webometrics, the university is ranked 52nd in the country and 519th in the continent.
|No. of Campus||2|
|Mode of Program||Full-time/ part-time|
|Medium of Instruction||French|
|Accepted Language Proficiency Test||French UQO Test/ ETS International French Test (TFI)|
|Campus Housing Capacity||200 places|
University of Quebec in Outaouais Campus
- University of Quebec in Outaouais operates through 2 campuses in the Gatineau region known as the Gatineau campus and St. Jerome’s campus.
- The campus of UQO is located in Gatineau and a part of the National Capital region close to the country’s capital, Ottawa.
- The new campus of the university located in St. Jerome was established in 2010.
- The main campus consists of libraries, research units, sports arena, parking spaces, psychological services clinic, gallery, pavilions and medical clinics.
- The campus also has different student associations such as Student Entrepreneur Club and Women’s - UQO club for promoting student interests.
University of Quebec in Outaouais Residence
- There are 200 places available for students in the University residence.
- The types of residence on Gatineau campus are UQO Townhouses and Tache Residences.
- The accommodations are fully furnished and also provide laundry facility, bicycle storage and is close to the bus stop.
- The rental costs of the student residences include heating, electricity and telephone costs (local calls), access to the internet for academic purposes and cable service.
- Rooms have basic furniture which includes bed, chest of drawers, work table, table and chair and wardrobe.
- There is no housing facility on the St. Jerome’s campus but they provide a list of accommodation located close to the campus.
- Students can also avail off-campus housing in the Outaouais region.
University of Quebec in Outaouais Courses
- UQO offers undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral programs, short certificates and diplomas to students.
- The University offers both full-time and part-time study options.
- The medium of instruction for programs at UQO is French.
- The courses offered are divided between the Gatineau and St. Jerome campus.
- There are 17 courses offered by University in the Gatineau campus in the field of Visual Arts, Arts in Comics, Museology and Heritage, Psychoeducation, Science and Technology, Ecology and Environment, etc.
- The St. Jerome campus offers programs in 5 subject areas that include Administration, Education, Psychology, Accounting and Nursing.
- The University also offers co-op programs.
University of Quebec in Outaouais Application Process
University of Quebec in Outaouais accepts applications from international students given they meet the equivalent of qualifications required for admission. To find out if the diplomas acquired by international students in their home country makes them eligible to study at UQO they need to consult the guide to training levels for general admission of non-Québec candidates.
How to Apply?
The process and requirements for admission to University of Quebec in Outaouais has been discussed below:
Application Portal: Online Application or Paper Application
Application Fee: 30 CAD for online application or 60 USD for paper application
Application Deadline: Paper applications for Fall 2020 term will be accepted until September 8, 2020. Both online and paper applications for Winter and Summer 2021 can be submitted.
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted along with the application:
- Completed application form
- A copy of birth certificate or national identity card or passport.
- Official copy of the up-to-date transcript.
- The applicant’s school should also send an official transcript indicating the diploma obtained before the start of the term.
- The transcripts have to have the official seal of the institutions issued by them.
- Certificate of Employment
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of French language proficiency: Undergraduate program applicants are expected to pass the UQO French Test while postgraduate applicants must have a minimum score of 750 on 990 in the ETS International French Test (TFI) to fulfill proficiency criteria.
The University recommends students to submit their documents by email or fax to facilitate faster processing of documents.
University of Quebec in Outaouais Cost of Attendance
- The tuition and other fees per term are estimated based on the number of enrollment credits.
- An estimate of the tuition and fee for studying at University of Quebec in Outaouais is given below:
|Tuition Fee||87.43 CAD / credit|
|General Expenses||52.25 CAD/ credit|
|Student Services||4.91 CAD/ credit|
|Technology Fees||5.29 CAD/ credit|
|Sports Center||3.20 CAD/ credit|
|Health Services||17 CAD/ quarter|
|Copyright Fees||0.48 CAD/ credit|
|Student Association Fee||25 CAD/ term|
|EUMC Student Committee Contribution||0.90 CAD/ quarter|
|Green Fund Contribution||5.00 CAD|
|UQO Foundation Contribution||7.50 CAD|
- The cost for various accommodation options provided by the university are given in the table below:
|Residence||Amount (Per Month)|
|2 Bedroom Apartment||520 CAD|
|Single Bedroom||457 CAD|
|Large Double Bedroom||483 CAD|
University of Quebec in Outaouais Scholarships/Financial Aid
- There are various financial aid options provided by the University of Quebec in Outaouais.
- The University also offers its students to work part-time on campus in order to fund their education.
- The University also provides scholarships to students based on their eligibility and excellence in the chosen field. Some of these are given below:
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|Admission Excellence Scholarship||Awarded to new students admitted to full-time bachelor’s degree programs in the fall semester.||2,000 CAD per year|
|Incentive Scholarship for Master’s Studies with Thesis||Awarded to students of master’s degree with thesis on the basis of academic standing.||5,000 CAD|
|Doctoral Study Grants||Awarded to doctoral program students at the university.||7,500 CAD|
University of Quebec in Outaouais Alumni Network
The University takes pride in its network of graduates which comprises 39,573 students. Some notable alumni of the University include:
- Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin – Former Mayor of Gatineau
- Marie Eve-Proulx – Elected in the National Assembly of Quebec in the 2018 provincial election.
- Stephane Lauzon – Elected Member of Parliament in the House of Commons of Canada
University of Quebec in Outaouais Placements
University of Quebec in Outaouais provides paid internships to its students per term such that students get hands-on practical experience in the field of their study. All the paid internships are part of the program and approved by the Public Service Commission of Canada. Internships are offered in the form of work-study, quarterly, cooperative programs and practical training programs in Summer.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|