University of Northern British Columbia: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) is a small, research-intensive university with its main campus in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada and other regional campuses in northern British Columbia in Prince Rupert, Terrace, Quesnel and Fort St. George. The university was established on June 22, 1990 after the British Columbia legislature passed the UNBC Act. In 2007 it was recognized as Canada’s Green University.
UNBC admissions are offered in more than 60 undergraduate degrees and also a wide range of graduate programs. in the domains of health, economies, sciences, environment, and cultures and is one of Canada’s best small universities. One of the best small universities in Canada, UNBC has over 3, 570 students enrolled where 2,829 are undergraduates and 599 graduates as per the data of 2019-20. International students make up to 11% of the total student body, making it a culturally diverse university. Over 396 international students from more than 40 countries enrolled at UNBC.
More than 122 academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels are offered at the University of Northern British Columbia in the fields of Health, Cultures, Economics, Sciences, and Environment. International students are offered financial aid to assist their higher Education in Canada.
The university offers numerous scholarships as well. December 15 is the early entrance Scholarships deadline while March 1 is Scholarship Deadline.
University of Northern British Columbia Rankings
The university has been ranked as follows by various ranking surveys:
The University of Northern British Columbia is one of the best small universities in Canada. It has been ranked by eminent agencies such as Times Higher Education and CWUR.
- UNBC ranked between 801-1000 in World University Rankings by Times Higher Education in 2021
- It was ranked #44 nationally and #179 globally in 2020 by the Center for World University Rankings.
- Ranked #2in the undergraduate category in Maclean Magazine’s Annual Ranking of Canadian Universities.
University of Northern British Columbia Highlights
|Total operating budget||99.7 USD million|
|Total enrolled students||3570|
|Work study program||Yes|
|Faculty Student ratio||1:8|
|English language proficiency scores||TOEFL, IELTS, SPM, PTE-A, Cambridge English|
University of Northern British Columbia Campus
- University of Northern British Columbia’s main campus is at Prince George, British Columbia.
- The campus has facilities like library, dining spaces, parking, bookstore, copy center and child care center.
- A state-of-the-art fitness center is within walking distance from the campus.
- UNBC has 70 intramural teams in 8 leagues and many university athletic teams.
- The university has more than 60 student clubs and academic, social and cultural organizations.
- Once students have explored the campuses, they can check out what Prince George has to offer. From cycling to relaxing at Shane Lake, there is so much to do at Prince George.
- CFURadio 88.7 FM is the campus radio station that broadcasts from UNBC.
University of Northern British Columbia Residence
- The two residential buildings located within 5 minutes walking distance from the heart of the campus have a total housing capacity of over 500.
- Fully-furnished apartment suites have amenities like kitchen, living room, private bedrooms equipped with bed and table, and shared bathrooms.
- Each building has facilities like WiFi, laundry facilities on each floor, and common areas and study halls.
- Students are connected with Resident Assistants who provide social and educational resources for students living on campus.
- Students need to pay a non-refundable Housing Application Fee worth 25.50 USD to complete their application.
Residence feed for 2020/2021 academic year:
- 25.50 USD – Housing Application Fee
- 150.00 USD – Non-Refundable Late Housing Application Fee
- 250.00 USD – Residence Room Deposit
- 47.00 USD – Residence Life Fee (per semester)
- 25.00 USD – Residence Infrastructure Fee (per semester)
- 2306.00 USD – 5-Day Meal Plan Fee (per semester)
- 2585.00 USD – 7-Day Meal Plan Fee (per semester)
- 208.00 USD – Parking Fee (per semester and if requested)
- 2476.00 USD – 4 Bedroom Suite Rental (per bedroom per semester)
University of Northern British Columbia Programs
- The University of Northern British Columbia offers outstanding undergraduate and graduate learning opportunities that explore cultures, health, economies, sciences, and the environment.
- There are 67 bachelor degree programs at UNBC, 23 graduate degree programs, 3 graduate certificate courses and 3 doctorate degrees.
- Some of the popular bachelor courses include Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Commerce (BComm), Bachelor of Education (BEd), among others.
- Students can opt for either full-time or part-time mode of the program.
- The university also offers an MBA program and around 100 online programs.
- The university has received government and private sector funding to establish a total of 15 research chairs.
University of Northern British Columbia Application Process
Application portal: Online
Application fee: 125 USD (UG applicants); 153 USD (PG applicants)
Application deadline- Deadlines for international applicants are as follows:
|Intake season||UG programs||PG programs|
|September||March 1||December 15|
|January||June 1||May 1|
- Official college or high school transcripts
- Completed Application
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Scholarship and Housing Applications (if applicable)
- Letter of Intent
- GRE scores (if required)
- Three Letters of Reference
UNBC English Language Proficiency Requirements
Minimum scores required for fulfilling English proficiency requirements are given below:
UNBC Cost of Attendance
Aspirants of the institute must note to plan their finances in advance before enrolling at the university. An estimated budget for international students looking for studying in Canada in university has been given below:
|Type of fee||UG student (In USD)||PG student (In USD)|
|Medical Insurance||220 for 4 months||220|
|On campus Meals||2585||2585|
|On-campus housing||5,787 for a year||5,787 for a year|
|Off-campus housing||6,520 approx.||6,520 approx.|
University of Northern British Columbia Financial Aid
- The university meets the demonstrated needs of its students by offering scholarships to study in Canada in the form of student awards and grants.
- The university offers a number of scholarships for international students offering financial benefits ranging from 500 – 6000 USD.
- President's Silver Anniversary Award for Excellence in Leadership – Amount 6,000 USD 1st yr / 5,500 USD 3 yrs
- Raven Scholarship Early Entrance Awards - Amount 5,500 USD (students need must apply for Early Admission to UNBC)
- UNBC Leadership Award Early Entrance Awards – Amount 3,000 USD (candidates must apply for Early Admission to UNBC, plus On-line Application Required)
Before applying for any financial aid, students must keep in mind that:
- Online applications are required to be completed for availing bursaries and student awards.
- By 2018-19, the total number of scholarships and bursaries awarded by UNBC was 1204 and the total value of student aid awarded was 3.USD 05 million.
- 1 in 3 students receives some form of financial aid by the university every year.
UNBC Alumni Benefits
- The Alumni Relations Office of UNBC works in affinity partnerships to fund alumni scholarships, bursaries and other special events and services.
- Email for Life: UNBC alumni have access to benefits like free email id, like firstname.lastname@example.org email address, and make your UNBC connection work for you.
- UNBC magazine subscription
- 15% discount on noncredit continuing education,
- 20% discount on UNBC bookstore, library access, alumni discount at Northern Sports Center, and many more.
- Distinguished alumni awards are given every year to UNBC alumni with outstanding contributions.
- More than 70% of UNBC graduates are working at management or executive-level leadership positions.
Notable UNBC alumni include:
- James Moore (a member of Parliament and Conservative Cabinet member)
- Jennifer Coosemans (Miss Chinese International 2016 and Miss Chinese Vancouver 2015).
The UNBC Student Career Center offers career-building workshops, employer recruiting sessions, hosts annual career fairs on campus in addition to organizing co-operative work term placements and posting part-time and full-time jobs for students.
Nearly 16% of UNBC graduates are earning more than 100,000 USD annually and around 50% are earning more than 60,000 USD annually.
- The student career services offered by the university include:
- Preparation for Employment
- Arrangement of Employer Recruiting and Information Sessions
- Annual Career Fairs hosted on campus
- Posting Career Opportunities for alumni
- Posting Part-time and Full-time Jobs for students
- Organizing Cooperative Education Work Term Placements.
- Graduates can access the career and employability team for 12 months which assists in finding jobs for international students in Canada, writing of job applications, career planning and advice, and interview support.
- Various unpaid and paid internship opportunities of one to five months are available for students which they can avail themselves with the help of third-party or host organizations like the private sector, state, or federal govt. variety of industry sectors
- The Ph.D. students of USQ get an internship opportunity named Australian Postgraduate Research Intern.
Ques. Is the University of Northern British Columbia accredited?
Ans. Yes, the university is officially recognized by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training of British Columbia.
Ques. Does the UNBC provide housing facilities?
Ans. Yes. The residential building's facilities include Wifi, laundry, a large area for games, events, etc. The private bedrooms are fully furnished and equipped with a desk and bed. Kitchens, living rooms, and shared bathrooms are available in each suite.
Ques. I'm applying for the undergraduate program. Can I apply for an application fee waiver?
Ans. No. The university doesn't provide an application fee waiver.
Ques. What are the minimum scores in English proficiency tests required by UNBC?
Ans. The university asks students to submit 90 or higher in TOEFL IBT or 570 in PBT or 230 in CBT. The overall score required in IELTS is 6.5. It also accepts PTE/MELAB/DTE/CAEL.
Ques. What are the deadlines for undergraduate programs?
Ans. The deadlines vary for each semester’s courses to courses. However, the deadline for September intake is March 1 and January intake is June 1.
Ques. What programs does the University of Northern British Columbia offer?
Ans. More than 122 academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels are offered at the University of Northern British Columbia in the fields of Health, Cultures, Economics, Sciences, and Environment.
Ques. Does UNBC offer placement services?
Ans. Yes. The student career services offered by the university include Preparation for Employment; Arrangement of Employer Recruiting and Information Sessions; Annual Career Fairs hosted on campus; Posting Career Opportunities for alumni; Posting Part-time and Full-time Jobs for students; Organizing Cooperative Education Work Term Placements.
Ques. How many international students study at UNBC?
Ans. International students make up to 11% of the total student body, making it a culturally diverse university. Over 396 international students from more than 40 countries enrolled at UNBC.
Ques. Is the University of Northern British Columbia reputed?
Ans. The University of Northern British Columbia is one of the best small universities in Canada. It has been ranked by eminent agencies such as Times Higher Education and CWUR.
FIND A PROGRAM
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #801 - #1000
RANKED #601 - #800
The institution is known to a second-tier university but provides the best education in the field of Business after greats such as UBC and SFU with the plus being the same education is imparted for half the cost of these universities. BComm at UNBC has great flexibility on offer with all the disciplines open for each student after admission, no matter what background a student comes from and thus the reason UNBC sees the most footfall from international students in their business programs.
Course Curriculum :
The courses are mostly aligned to what Indian Commerce curriculum when it comes to the introductory segment of the program. It keeps getting advanced and more focused as the program progresses and at the perfect pace in my personal opinion. Concepts studied in 11th and 12th show face in 1st and 2nd years and with adequate focus, good grades are attainable and the course is built on what today's companies requires so it covers all necessary pointers.
I was in search of colleges in Canada to pursue my undergraduate. UNBC is one of the high-rank colleges in CANADA, hence I opted for this college and luckily got selected. To apply for this college I had to register on the official website, only then I was able to reach the application form. The process of the application cost me around $75.
Course Curriculum :
The course is well updated to meet the current industry standards and concrete. It mainly focuses on the advanced practical computing and problem-solving skills required for professional work in the modern industry. The program also gives us a thorough exposure to basic areas like computer architecture, programming languages, and data structures.
Canada's number one undergraduate university. However, the fee structure is a little bit low than another university, especially when we talk about international university fees. I applied in last April 2018 and get admission in seven working days through the university transfer program. Apart from its low fee structure, it is located beautifully on the top of the hill and in the middle of the wild life-such an amazing location for the nature-loving person.
Especially, if you are applying from India, you need to have IELTS 7 bands overall to fulfil your English language requirement and minimum 70% marks, if you pass 12th standard from any board. Or otherwise, 65%. If you completed your Canadian degree of 60 credits somewhere else then they do bot require IELTS examination however, they do transfer your college credits( 60) towards the bachelor degree.
I chose UNBC because it was close to where I live, and is ranked the second-highest undergraduate school in Canada. The programs and small class sizes are a bonus too! The location is perfect. It is also Canada's Green University- I appreciate the emphasis on-campus sustainability.
Course Curriculum :
I love my course curriculum! It is varied enough to provide an option and specialization. My one critique is that there seem to be some classes and that are lacking, like sociology. And I would love to see more co-op opportunities.
- Shopping Mall
- Bus Station
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary