Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences, Perinthalmanna, Kerala was set-up in 2004. This college is a result of a joint venture by KIMS Al Shifa Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. and Shifa Medical Trust. Approved by the Government of Kerala, this college is affiliated to Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS) and recognized by Directorate of Medical Education (DME).
Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences offers 2 Degree courses and 3 Diploma Courses in streams like Medical Laboratory Technology, Optometry, and Radiological Technology among others.
The campus is equipped with a central library, hostel facility for girls, and an auditorium. Students will be provided with practical and clinical experience at the institute’s parent hospital KIMS Al Shifa Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
The basic admission criteria to the College is based on Merit.
Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences, Perinthalmanna: Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||2004 | Private|
|Approved by||Government of Kerala|
|Affiliated To||Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS)|
|Recognized By||Directorate of Medical Education (DME)|
|Courses Offered||2 Degree and 3 Diploma Courses|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostel, Auditorium, Sports|
Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences, Perinthalmanna: Courses Offered
Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences offers 2 Degree and 3 Diploma courses. The information for the same is available in a tabulated format as below:
|B.Sc||Specialization: Medical Laboratory Technology/ Optometry
Duration: 4 years
Eligibility: Passed Higher Secondary Examination conducted by Board of Kerala or any other equivalent examination with a minimum of 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English together
|Diploma||Specialization: DRT- Radiological Technology/ DMLT- Medical Laboratory Technology/ DOTAT- Operation Theatre & Anesthesia Technology
Duration: 2 years (additional 6 months internship for DOTAT)
Eligibility: Passed Higher Secondary Examination 10+2 conducted by Government of Kerala or any other equivalent examination recognized by DME with a minimum of 45% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology together
Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences, Perinthalmanna: Admission
- Candidates applying to any of the Degree courses must be of minimum 17 years of age, Indian citizens/children or dependent of NRI’s. One must have passed Higher Secondary Examination of Board of Higher Education Kerala or any other equivalent examination. Candidates must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English subjects combined.
- Candidates applying to any of the Diploma courses must be of minimum 17 years of age, Indian citizens/children or dependent of NRI’s. One must have passed Higher Secondary Examination 10+2 as conducted by the Government of Kerala or any other examination recognized by the State Government. Candidates must have secured a minimum of 45% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology subjects combined.
How to apply?
- Visit the Official website of the College.
- Navigate to the ‘Apply Online’ tab available at the top of the home screen.
- Select the Degree or Diploma course you want to apply for.
- You will have to fill in information like Name, Email Id, Telephone, Address, DOB, Aadhar Number and other personal details.
- Next you have to fill in qualification details and subject wise marks.
- Upload Photo and also ensure all mandatory fields have been updated.
- Finally click on the ‘Submit’ option to complete form fill-up.
Alternatively one can visit the college where you can collect the application form after paying the cost in cash/DD
Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences, Perinthalmanna: Facilities
Library: The central library spread across 1200 sq. ft. houses over 1800 books for the benefit of students and faculty. Indian and international journals for paramedical and allied health sciences are available for reference. The library's day to day workings have been digitized for the convenience of one and all. Using the online publication, students can easily search for required resources with just a few clicks. A computer lab is also present in a section of the library, wherein machines are equipped with high speed internet.
Auditorium: The college auditorium is a spacious, multi use concert hall that can accommodate over 100 students at any given time. Students are encouraged to use this auditorium for various cultural events like musicals, dance and other events. This space is also utilized for academic purposes with lectures, conferences, seminars, graduation ceremonies being held in the auditorium.
Hostel: Girls are provided with clean and spacious accommodation facilities at the hostel. The canteen available inside the hostel premises serves nutritious south Indian food at subsidized rates for students. Principal quarters and guest rooms are available for female staff as well. A separate visiting room has been made available for students to freely interact with their guardians. Security guards are posted at the hostel 24/7. The entire parameter of the hostel is covered and monitored with CCTV cameras for an extra layer of security.
Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences, Perinthalmanna: Faculty
The faculty at Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences is a mix of teaching staff and guest faculties. This ensures students receive the best education and also industry insights, helping them succeed. Prof. Sudheesh .K, the principal of this college, heads the below departments at the college:
- Department of Biochemistry
Assistant Professor: 2
- Department of Microbiology
Assistant Professor: 4
- Department of Pathology
Assistant Professor: 2
- Department of Optometry
Assistant Professor: 6
- Department of Basic Science
Assistant Professor: 1
- Department of Radiological Technology
- Department of Operation Theatre & Anesthesia Tech
Course Coordinator: 1
Clinical Instructor: 1
Ques. What is the student intake capacity for each course at Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences?
Ans. The course wise student intake capacity at Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences is as below:
- B.Sc MLT - 40
- B.Sc Optometry - 30
- DMLT - 30
- DRT - 30
- DOTAT - 15
Ques. What are some of the rules to be followed by B.Sc students at Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences?
Ans. Some of the rules to be followed by B.Sc students are:
- Students need to have a minimum of 80% attendance in theory and practical classes of each subject.
- Secure a minimum of 50% marks in internal examination.
- Secure a minimum of 50% in external theory and practical examination.
- Students need to clear all subjects, in case this condition is not fulfilled, students will not be allowed to proceed to the next year of the course.
Ques. Is Internship compulsory when pursuing B.Sc in Optometry at Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences?
Ans. Yes. The B.Sc in Optometry at Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences is a 4 year course. This involves a 3 year learning period in college and a compulsory 1 year rotation internship in different specialties of Optometry.
Ques. What are the different subjects taught in the Diploma course of Radiological Technology at Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences?
Ans. This is a 2 years Diploma course wherein written, oral and practical examinations will be conducted. The different subjects taught year wise are as below:
- General & Radiation Physics
- Physiology & Pathology
- Physics of Medical Imaging and Radiotherapy
- Radiography including Dark room technique
Ques. Will the fees be refunded if a candidate does not wish to join Al Shifa College of Paramedical Sciences anymore?
Ans. No. The college fees, full/part, will not be refunded under any circumstances. If the candidate does not join the college or joins the college and decides to leave in the middle of the course the fees in both cases are non-refundable. In case of discontinuance, candidates will be required to pay the complete course fees before leaving.