Deshbandhu College, an oldest college of South Delhi was established in 1952 by the Ministry of Rehabilitation, as a memorial to freedom fighter Deshbandhu Gupta. The College was moved to Ministry of Education and later taken over by University of Delhi. Today, Deshbandhu is a fully maintained constituent college of University of Delhi and the largest co-edu institute in South Delhi.
- The College proposes 8 post graduate and 20 undergraduate courses in the disciplines spanning from history, languages, economics, commerce, political science and all the main branches of science and mathematics
- The college which made a humble beginning with just 72 students now caters to over 2000 students
The college has in total of 16 departments. Some of the noted departments are of:
- Department of Botany
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Commerce
- Department of English
- Department of Hindi
- Department of History
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Modern Indian Language
- Department of Physics
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Zoology
Through its span of over 60 years, the college has produced many alumni, some of the noted ones are:
- Rajiv Goswami (d. 2004), President Delhi University Students Union
- Shantanu Moitra, Music Composer
- Raghu Ram, Producer MTV Roadies
- National Cadet Corps: The college has two senior division NCC Companies with a strength of 160 cadets each for girls and boys wings respectively
- National Service Scheme: National Service Scheme (NSS) is a unit of the college that organizes various workshops like debates, painting, theatre, leadership orientation, blood donation camp, AIDS awareness programme etc
- Crusaders: The debating society
- Mirrors: Deshbandhu Dramatic Society
- Sharp Shooters: The Photographic Society
There are also a number of societies belonging to respective departments, some of them are:
- Resonance: The society of the Chemistry Department
- Inklings: The English Literary Society
- The Bengali Literary Society
- The Zoological Society
The college library has a group of over 90,000 books, 325 CD & Floppy Disks, 70 periodicals, and a host of journals and magazines. The library also has the following services:
- A spacious reading room, a separate floor for teachers and a book bank section and research scholars.
- A Newspaper Clipping Service along with Audio Service for the visually handicapped
- Reprographics Service
- All the books are bar coded and easily accessible through OPAC in the library.
- The students along with other faculty members have the privilege to access UGC-INFONET Consortium and Delhi University subscribed E-Resources through Du Wide area Campus Network
- The Computer department is well equipped with two state-of-the-art laboratories with 40 dual boot computers hosting Windows and Linux platforms.
- The college has Wi-Fi facility.
The college has its own annual festival along with the annual festivals organized by some of its departments.
- Sabrang: The annual festival of the college held in the month of February
- Biospark: The annual function of Department of Bio-Chemistry where students come out with most innovative ideas
- Chimera: The annual festival of the Department of Zoology
Deshbandhu College ranked 28th in top 50 science colleges of India and 8th in city of Delhi by India Today in 2010
Scholarships are provided to the students on the basis of both academics and sports & co- curricular activities. The scholarships provided to the students are:
- Baba Sohan Singh Memorial Scholarship awarded to students of B.A. (Honours) /B.sc (Honours) 1st year who have secured highest marks in +2 Examination in their respective subjects
- Shrimati Devaki Rani Memorial Scholarship awarded to students of B.sc (Honours) 1st year
- Shrimati Jamuna Devi Memorial Scholarship awarded to students of B.A. (Honours) English
- Shrimati Rikha Devi Memorial Scholarship awarded to B.Com. (Honours) 1st year
- Shri Rajiv Kapur Memorial Scholarship awarded to B.Sc Physical Science 1st year
- Shri S.P. Kapoor Scholarship is awarded to B.A. (Honours) Economics 3rd year