Government Medical College, Kozhikode or Calicut Medical College provides medical courses like MBBS, MD, MS, DM and many such more programs. Established in 1957, this institute is affiliated to KUHS and is a government-funded college. With several colleges related to dental, nursing, and pharmacy also present, the institute has a lot to offer in terms of versatility. The institute provides admission to the various courses purely based on merit depending on the candidate's score in the required entrance examinations. For admission into the MBBS program candidates need to give the NEET-UG and NEET-PG for MD and MS programs. Similarly, admission to the DM and M.Ch programs is made via marks secured in the NEET SS examination.
The cutoffs to the institute are generally very high and to give a rough idea, the cutoff for MBBS in 2019 was AIR1895 in NEET-UG. Apart from this, with 3095 beds, the institute is the largest hospital in India based on bed strength. With a huge campus and the best facilities, the college is one of the finest institutes in the entire country.
GMC Kozhikode Highlights
|College Name||Government Medical College Kozhikode|
|Basic admission criteria||National / State Level Entrance|
|Entrance exams||NEET UG (MBBS), NEET PG (MD / MS), NEET SS (DM & M.Ch), KEAM (B.Sc, M.Sc & GNM)|
GMC Kozhikode Achievements
Listed below are some of the many achievements of this institute:
- With 3025 licensed beds, this institute is the largest hospital in India based on bed strength.
- The institute has excellent alumni with reputed names like Dr. Vinod Skaria.
- The institute is the only medical college to have an MD Family Medicine program in the country.
- The institute was successful in adding a family medicine teaching program in the MBBS curriculum.
GMC Kozhikode Popular Courses
The institute offers several medical programs to eligible candidates like the MBBS, MD, or MS to name a few. Tabulated below are some of the popular courses available along with the specializations if any, the course duration, basic eligibility criteria as well as the selection criteria:
|Course Name||Specialization||Basic Eligibility Criteria||Duration||Selection Criteria|
|MBBS||Medicine||10+2 (PCB/PCMB)||5.5 Years||NEET UG|
|M.D.||Anaesthesia||MBBS from recognized University||2 Years||NEET PG|
|Dermatology,Venereology & Leprology|
|Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation|
|Pulmonary /Respiratory Medicine|
|M.S.||Anatomy||MBBS from recognized University||2 years||NEET PG|
|Obstetrics & Gynaecology|
|D.M.||Cardiology||MD / MS in relevant discipline||3 Years||NEET SS|
MD / MS in relevant discipline
|B. Pharma||Pharmacy||10+2 (PCB/PCMB)||4 Years||KEAM|
|B.Sc.||Medical Laboratory Technology||10+2||4 Years||KEAM|
|Cardiovascular Technology (BCVT)|
|Medical Laboratory Technology|
|Cardiovascular Technology (BCVT)|
Full Courses details: Click here
GMC Kozhikode Admission
Admission to this institute is purely based on merit and the candidates need to fulfill the basic eligibility criteria as mentioned above. Listed below are the admission procedures for all the different entrance examinations that the candidates may have to give:
Candidates applying to different courses at Government Medical College, Kozhikode need to fill the application form of the respective entrance examination.
The application process for NEET UG:
- Firstly candidates interested have to register online at the official website of NEET UG
- The application fee can be paid online as well as offline.
- For online payment, one must have access to an e-wallet, net-banking, or debit/credit card.
- The application fee is INR 1400 for General and OBC category candidates, and the same for ST/SC candidates, the fee is INR 750
The application process for NEET PG:
- Interested candidates have to to register online at the official website of NEET PG
- Application fee has to be paid online through net-banking or debit/credit card
- The application fee is INR 3750 for General/OBC category candidates and the same for ST/SC candidates is INR 2750
The application process for GPAT:
- Candidates have to do the registration online at the official website of GPAT
- Application fee has to be paid online through Net Banking or Debit/Credit Card or eChallan.
- The application fee is INR 1400 for General/OBC-NCL Male and the same for ST/SC/PwD/Female/ Transgender is INR 700.
The application process for KEAM:
- Candidates have to register online on the official website of KEAM
- The application fee is INR 700 for the General category and the same for Scheduled Castes is INR 300 . Aspirants from the ST category can give the exam free of cost.
- The fee can be paid by using a credit card/debit card or Internet Banking.
Detailed Admission Process: Read here
GMC Kozhikode Placements
- The institute provides internships to eligible students with a monthly stipend of around 25000 and many students prefer to go for further studies after completing their MBBS. There are several opportunities available for a student after completing their course.
- There is no on-campus placement as such.
To know more: Click here
GMC Kozhikode Scholarships
The institute provides scholarships to recognize meritorious students. Students can apply for the Scholarships at the start of the academic year and the college may provide a scholarship to a deserving candidate under the following conditions:
- College Merit Scholarships.
- Students from the economically weaker sections may ask for fee concessions.
- Merit cum means based scholarships by the college to deserving students.
- Merit as well as National Scholarships for brilliant students under Central & State Govt schemes.
Read more: Click here
GMC Kozhikode Facilities
This institute is known for its top-notch and state of art facilities that it provides to its students. Listed below are some of the many facilities that the college provides:
- The institute provides Super Speciality courses in 10 departments.
- It has a well equipped Cardiac Catheterization Lab and Telecobalt Therapy
- It boasts of a well equipped MCI recognized by the Centre for Medical Education.
- The institute's Medical library has books on every subject and is equipped with computer facilities.
- The institute has a Multistoried Super Specialty Complex (SSB), a New Block for Institute of Maternal and Child Health as well as an Institute of Sports Medicine.
- It consists of a state of the art cardiac cath lab, MRI Scan, Doppler ultrasound along with a digital radiography system.
Read more about Hostels: Click here
GMC Kozhikode Faculty
One of the main strengths of this college is its faculty which imparts excellent education and values into its students. Learning is more than just textbooks and students get to know a lot about the work ethic and morals of a practicing doctor. Check the link below to get a list of the faculty.
Read more: Click here
Ques. What is the minimum score required in NEET for admission in Calicut medical college for SC?
Ans. Tabulated below are the cutoff details for SC in 2018:
|Category||Minimum Qualifying Percentile||Marks Range|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||40th Percentile||118-96|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC)||40th Percentile||118-96|
Ques. How much an MBBS student can get as salary?
Ans. The salary for a medical graduate fluctuates as per the work experience of the candidate. A candidate who has just completed their MBBS degree can get a salary varying from INR 10,000 to Rs 40,000.
Ques. Which is the biggest medical college in Kerala?
Ans. Government Medical College, Kozhikode is the largest medical college in Kerala by the bed strength. With 3025 licensed beds the hospital is one of the largest currently present in the entire country.
Ques. What does Free Exit for NEET counselling round one mean?
Ans. The Free exit in NEET Counselling 2020 means that if a candidate is allotted a seat in the round 1 of NEET 2020 counselling but do not report/join the allotted college then s/he will not be penalised and will be eligible to participate in the next round of counselling.
Ques. Is there any other college which offers medical courses in Kozhikode?
Ans. Yes, KMCT Medical College is also a highly reputed college located in Kozhikode only but GMC being a Government college is more preferable.