First established in 1836, Elphinstone College separated from its high school premises and became an educational institution in its own right in 1956. It became affiliated to the University of Mumbai in 1860 and is accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an A grade.
Elphinstone College offers undergraduate courses in Arts, Commerce, as well as Science streams. Besides, it also provides certificate courses and self-financed courses. The selection procedure is solely based on merit. Interested candidates can collect the application form from the college office. The institution offers numerous scholarships to its students, and placement opportunities are decent too.
Elphinstone College Mumbai Highlights
|Established in | Institute Type||1836 | Government|
|Affiliated to||University of Mumbai|
|Managed by||Government of Maharashtra|
|Accredited to||National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)|
|Courses Offered||BA, B.Sc, B.Com, B Sc (Self-financed), Certificate Courses|
|Admission Procedure||Based on Merit|
|Facilities||Hostel, Library, Sports and Recreation, Gymkhana, Film Library, Music Library, Reading Room, and Language Lab|
Elphinstone College Mumbai Courses
Elphinstone College offers undergraduate courses in Science, Arts, as well as Commerce streams. In addition, it also provides self-financed and certification courses. The enumeration of the same has been tabulated as follows:
|B.A.||Economics, Hindi, English, Sociology, Psychology, Mathematics, Geography, History, Marathi, Political Science, Statistics, and Ancient Indian Culture||Eligibility: 10+2 conducted by the Maharashtra State Board or its equivalent
Duration: 3 years
|B.Sc||Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Statistics, Microbiology, Physics, Mathematics|
Click here Elphinstone College Courses and Fees
Elphinstone College Mumbai Admission
The admission procedure to Elphinstone College is conducted offline. Eligible candidates are selected on the basis of merit in the previous qualifying examination. Students who have completed their diploma in specific subjects are also eligible for direct admission in the second year of B Sc in Information Technology.
How to Apply?
The students who wish to apply to Elphinstone College for admission need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Collect the form from the college office or download it from the website. Fill it and submit along with required documents, reservation certificate, and photograph along with application fee of INR 100.
- The list of eligible candidates will be published after scrutiny
- Selected candidates need to be present at the college campus on the specified counseling date along with the required documents
Elphinstone College Mumbai Placement
Elphinstone College has a functional placement cell that assists its students in recruitment opportunities. Career fairs are organized on a frequent basis to aid eligible candidates in landing their dream jobs. Besides, the cell also offers professional guidance concerning their career choices. Aptitude tests, career counseling lectures, seminars, and workshops are set up to help them understand more about the recruitment process.
In the year 2017-18, 17 organizations visited the campus, 148 students participated in the campus interviews and 15 students got placements. A few agencies that have previously paid a visit to the campus in order to bag eligible candidates are Wipro Consultancy Services, Tata Consultancy Services, Infosys, Times of India, NIIT, to name a few.
Know more Elphinstone College Placement
Elphinstone College Mumbai Scholarship
Elphinstone College has a number of scholarships for the students who exceed expectations in academic fields and for those who belong to economically weaker sections. Some of the scholarships are listed below:
- The Bombay Municipal Corporation Endowment Scholarships: Two scholarships of INR 40 per month each to the second and third-year BA and B Sc students
- The College Centenary Scholarships: Two scholarships of INR 50 per month each to third-year BA and B Sc students belonging to economically weaker sections and 27 merit scholarships of INR 40 per month each to BA and B Sc students
- 6 Centenary Scholarships of INR 40 per month each to first-year BA students
- 7 College Open Merit Scholarships of INR 15 per month each to BA students
- 2 Municipal Scholarships of INR 40 per month each to second and third-year BA and B Sc students
Read more Elphinstone College Scholarship
Elphinstone College Mumbai Facilities
Elphinstone College offers the following facilities for the benefit of its students:
- Hostel: The college has hostels at various locations around Churchgate. About 100 seats are available for boys in two different hostels. While 60 seats are available for girls. Admissions to the hostel are done through the college website.
- Sports and Recreation: Elphinstone College provides provisions for outdoor sports like Cricket, Football, Basketball, and Volleyball. Facilities for indoor games like table tennis, chess, as well as carrom, are also available. The college has its own gymkhana, which is a furnished fitness center.
- Film Library: The college has a library dedicated to the best cinemas. Collections from world cinema, Director’s collections, regional and western cinema, war, and comedy movies are available.
- Music Library: From classics to contemporary music, from regional tunes to western beats, the music library of Elphinstone College is equipped with a vast collection that helps students relax and meditate.
- Library: With over 120,000 books in total, the college library is a spacious hall which assists students in conducting their necessary academic research. In addition, the library is equipped with around 10 periodicals, over 100 CDs, 30 audio cassettes, 25 videotapes, 30 maps, and 6 daily newspapers for the benefit of the students. The campus also houses a reading room that provides a serene environment.
Elphinstone College Mumbai Faculty
The faculty of Elphinstone College is composed of around 50 members. 24 members of the team have acquired a Ph.D. degree. The college faculty strives to guide the students to a better future. Their educational and moral values help to shape the lives of students.
- Associate professors: 16
- Assistant professors: 24
- Lecturers: 10
- HOD: 10
Check here Elphinstone College Faculty
Elphinstone College Mumbai FAQs
Ques. Can I do my master’s degree from this college?
Ques. What is the duration of the diploma course offered by the college?
Ques. Where can I get the hostel application form?
Ques. Does the college offer any scholarship programs?
Ques. Does the college have a reservation for seats?