Loreto College, Kolkata is an all-girls catholic college affiliated to the University of Calcutta and focuses in the liberal arts and sciences.Established in 1912, the college has been ranked 75th at the all India level in 2020 by the NIRF. The courses offered at the college include B.A. (Honors & General) in Education, English, History, Political Science, Psychology & Geography ; B.Sc. (Honors & General) in Geography & Economics ; B.A. (General) in Bengali, Hindi, Economics, Journalism, Film Studies, Sociology, Human Rights, Mathematics, B.Ed along with Post Graduation in English. Admission to all the courses is both merit and entrance-based. Application process for admission at the college is online through the official website.
Graduates from the college are placed in top-notch companies such as ITC, Deloitte, Citi Bank, HSBC Bank, Syndicate Bank, Indigo Airlines, Jet Airways, Emirates, etc.
Loreto College Highlights
|Established | Type||1912 | Private|
|Affiliated to||Calcutta University|
|Approved by||Calcutta University, UGC & NAAC ‘A’ grade accredited|
|Courses offered||UG: B.A, B.A(H), B.Sc, B.Sc(H) PG: M.A in English B.Ed|
|Admission criteria||UG: Merit-Based PG: Merit-Based/Entrance Based B.Ed: Merit-Based/Interview|
|Total Strength||UG: 795 PG: 43|
|Top recruiters||ITC, Deloitte, Citi Bank, HSBC Bank, Syndicate Bank, Indigo Airlines, etc.|
|Location||7, Sir William Jones Sarani (formerly Middleton Row) Kolkata - 700071 West Bengal, India|
Loreto College Rankings
|5 Star College||NAAC’2000|
|2nd Cycle - Grade ‘A’||NAAC’2007|
|3rd Cycle- Grade ‘A’||NAAC’2012|
|‘Potential for Excellence’||UGC’2006|
|75th in Top Colleges in India||NIRF’2020|
Loreto College Courses
|B.Sc||Subjects: Geography, Economics, Political Science
Duration: 3 Years
Eligibility: 10+2 from a recognized board.
|B.Sc (Honors)||Subjects: Geography, Psychology, Economics
Duration: 3 Years
Eligibility; 10+2 with a minimum of 60% marks in the chosen subject.
|B.A||Subjects: History, Education, Political Science, Geography, Economics
Duration: 3 Years
Eligibility: 10+2 with 50% aggregate marks (with English as the main subject).
|B.A (Honors)||Subjects: English, Education, History, Political Science, Psychology
Duration: 3 Years Eligibility: 10+2 passed with 60% marks secured in the chosen subject.
Duration: 2 Years
Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
Duration: 2 Years
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree in English with minimum 50% marks secured in the qualifying examination.
- Candidates are notified that English is a mandatory subject for all the courses.
- Compulsory subjects for all Honours and General courses in Undergraduate program:-
*Environmental Studies(Only in the 3rd year)
Read More: Loreto College Fees Structure
Loreto College Admission
Loreto College offers admission to various UG programmes, B.Ed along with Post Graduation in English. The total applications for admission were 3350+ and applications admitted ratio was 12:1 for the year 2019-20.
How To Apply For Loreto College Kolkata?
The application form of Loreto College can be filled online through the official website of the College. The application fee can be paid through the online mode of Net Banking/Debit/Credit Card.
- Visit the official website of the College: https://www.loretocollege.in
- Click on the Apply tab.
- Fill the application form with all the required information and academic details.
- Scan and upload photograph and signature along with the supporting documents.
- Submit the filled application form.
- Pay the application fee of INR 300/- through Net Banking/Debit/Credit Card/SBI Challan.
- 10th and 10+2 marks sheet along with the passing certificate
- Migration and Character Certificate
- UG Degree Marks Sheet (for B.Ed & M.A English).
- Caste/Community/Disability Certificate, if applicable.
- Proof of annual income of Parents’ from all sources (in the case of Tuition Fee Waiver (TFW) quota candidates & SC candidates (if applicable).
Read More: Loreto College Admission
Loreto College Placement
Placement assistance is provided to all students of the college along with the provision of information relating to the scope of higher studies in the country as well as abroad in addition to the job vacancies and possible job prospects in reputed organizations. The presentations are followed by recruitment drives in which the Placement Cell of the college assists the recruiting organization.Companies where fresh graduates from Loreto College have been placed include:
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Citi Bank
- HSBC Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- Indigo Airlines
- Jet Airways
- Teach For India
- Biswajit Sarkar IP Attorneys
Read More: Loreto College Placement
Loreto College Scholarships
Loreto College offers scholarships to the students of the college. The scholarships are-
- Academic scholarship
- All-rounder scholarship
- All-rounder boarding scholarship
- Music scholarship
- Indigenous Youth Leadership Program
Loreto College Facilities
The college provides various facilities:
- Canteen: The canteen on the ground floor is one of the hubs where students are found at all hours, enjoying the food and interacting with each other.
- Library: The library has a Book Bank facility with over 51225 books on various disciplines including Social Sciences, Arts, Literature and History.
- Research Cell: The cell aims to promote research culture and provide financial assistance to students and faculty to undertake research projects and organize workshops and seminars.
- Societies: There are a number of student societies like the Debating Society, the Dramatics Society, the Literary Society and the Leadership Training Society which nurtures the extracurricular of the students. The College also hosts an annual inter-college fest SAMAGAM.
- Recreation: A large airy common room, well stocked with gym equipment, table tennis, and carom tables is provided for the students to enjoy. A piano is also set up for the musically inclined students.
- Counselling: Personal, Professional, Career and Academic Counselling are provided for all the students by the college.
- Sports: Outdoor games such as basketball, throwball, badminton, rowing (at the University) are a point of attraction for many students.
- Computer Labs: Number of institutional techniques are adopted like the desktop computers, splitters, scanner, printer etc. along with free internet facility are adopted by the college to make teaching learning methodologies more interesting.
Loreto College Faculty
With highly qualified faculty, the institute is committed to imparting strong educational foundations and provide literacy programs to underprivileged girls, evolve high educational standards, and implant values of leadership in them.The Student to Faculty ratio is 16:1.The Principal of the college is Dr. Christine Coutinho and the other faculties are working at the following positions:
- Lecturer: 6
- Assistant Professor: 23
- Associate Professor: 17
Read More: Loreto College Faculty
Loreto College FAQs
Ques. Which is the most popular college in comparison to Loreto College?
Ans. St. Xavier's College (SXC), Kolkata is the most popularly compared college with Loreto.Lady Brabourne College, Bethune College, St. Paul's Cathedral Mission College, Women's Christian College are some other colleges in Kolkata one can look for.
Ques. How can one get admission in a postgraduate course in Loreto College?
Ans. Loreto College offers admission to M.A (English) to the candidates with Honors Degree in English with 50% marks or equivalent CGPA from a recognized university. 60% of the total available seats will be filled on the basis of merit while 40% of seats will get filled through combined marks in university examination and admission test.
Ques. Is there any age limit for doing B.Ed from Loreto College?
Ans. The upper age limit is 40 years as on the month of June of the year of application.Applicants holding a Bachelor's degree in any subject will be eligible for admission to B.Ed.The selection for B.Ed will be based on the marks secured in the qualifying examination and written examination conducted by the College.
Ques. Are correspondence courses available in Loreto College?
Ans. No, the college does not offer distance learning.Thus, you cannot do a correspondence course from Loreto College. Loreto College offers admission to regular UG programmes, B.Ed along with Post Graduation in English.
Ques. Is there any reservation for CU students while applying for the postgraduate course?
Ans. Yes, there are certain reservation criteria for the students applying for the PG courses. The reservation criterion is as follows:
- 60% i.e. 15 of the total number of seats is reserved exclusively for current year students of Calcutta University (CU) and CU affiliated autonomous colleges.
- 40% i.e. 10 of the total number of seats is reserved for the CU candidates of immediately preceding year.