Indian Institute of Information Technology Design & Manufacturing Kancheepuram (IIITDM) is Centre of Excellence for technical education and research established in 2007 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India to pursue design and manufacturing oriented engineering education and research and to promote the competitive advantage of Indian products in global market.
- This Institute serve as an inter-disciplinary institution for education and research in the area of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) encompassing design and manufacturing using state of the tools, art concepts, processes and practices of the industry world over.
- It is one of the two IIITD&Ms, the other one being located in Jabalpur. The institute, which was operating from its temporary campus within the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, which was also its mentor institute, has moved to its permanent campus at Kelambakkam-Vandalur road near Chennai in 2011.
- The institute is spread in 51 acre campus. It is a fully residential campus with all students residing within campus.
Duration (in Years)
Design, Development and Characterization of all-fiber Interferometer for Wavelength Interleaving and Temperature Sensing Applications
Design, development and performance evaluation of enhanced air-cooling in electronic systems
Rural and Remote Ubiquitous Broadband Wireless Access
20,000 UK Pounds
Development of a Nanofluid Coolant for high heat flux devices with Mini-channel heat Exchanger.
- Samgatha:The annual Cultural Technical fest Samgatha-2014 was conducted from 29th to 31st March. The theme was “Save women Save India” organised to increase the awareness. This year Samgatha had 19 Cultural and 11 technical events and distributed around 50000 INR as prize money.This year Samgatha was sponsored by INDIAN BANK, IIITDM Alumni and Sakthi’s Kitchen Pvt. Ltd. and budget of this year Samgatha crossed over 1, 00,000 INR.
- On the day of inauguration two events were conducted , “Soap”isticated which was soap carving event, with around 70 people , second event was “How things work” a technical event , in this event the turnout was around 60 people.
- Social Service Group (SSG): SSG promotes the concept of contributing to society and country at large. It focuses on novel areas such as imparting awareness about the environment and conducting training programmes in humanities and sciences for neighboring school students/orphanages.
- Free Eye Screening Camp: Various ophthalmology tests were conducted for staff members, students, and senior citizens also benefited out of this camp on 23rd Nov 2013.
- Polio Drops Drive: Polio Drop Drive was organized by SSG along with local medical officers
- Tree Plantation Activity: A tree plantation drive was organized by the institute in September 2013. The event was a huge success and saw active participation from students, staff and faculty members.
Some more activities name:
- Computer Classes for Local School Students
- Beach Cleaning Activity
- Blood Donation
- Zoo Cleaning Activity
Hostel and Mess: The IIITD&M being a residential Institute provides accommodation to all students. Now Jasmine hostel is for girls and Lotus, Asoka, Banyan and a new 15 storied hostels are for boys. The rooms are built with scientific simulation for its ventilation and day light.
Library: The Library has an excellent collection of books, printed journals, magazines, leading newspapers, e-Journals., and softcopy of NPTEL course materials and video contents. The Library maintains a separate collection of reference books. The Library follows the Machine Readable Catalogue (MARC 21) standard for cataloguing and Universal Decimal Classification (UDC) scheme for classification of Library documents.
Institute is one of the core members of Indian National Digital Library in Engineering Sciences and Technology (INDEST) consortium and has subscribed nearly 600 e-journals, conference proceedings, standards, viz IEL (IEEE & IEE) and Elsevier Science Direct Links.