The Government Law College (GLC) is a premier law institute located in Mumbai that provides various courses at the UG and PG level in the field of law. Established in 1855, the college is affiliated to the University of Mumbai and has also been recognized by the Bar Council of India. The courses offered at the institute involve a three year or a five year LLB program, PG diploma in various specializations, and also a PG certificate program. Admission to all the courses offered is made purely based on merit and depends on the candidate's score in the CET examination for UG programs and is merit-based for PG courses. Apart from this, the institute also provides reservation seats for eligible candidates. The college has excellent facilities and is known for being the oldest law college in the entire Asian subcontinent.
GLC Mumbai Admission Highlights 2020
Tabulated below are the admission highlights of this institute along with some other key information:
|Name of College||Government Law College, Mumbai|
|Establishment Year I Type||1855 I Public|
|Affiliated to||Mumbai University, Mumbai|
|Basic Admission Criteria||For the 3 and 5-year degree course: Entrance based|
|For PG Diploma courses: Merit Based|
|Selection Criteria||Common Entrance Test (CET)|
|Official College Website||http://www.glcmumbai.com/|
GLC Mumbai Rankings and Achievements
The institute consistently ranks amongst the top law colleges in the country and has several achievements to its name:
- The institute is known for being the oldest law college in Asia.
- The college has a distinguished alma mater with names like Pratibha Patil, former president of India, and L.K. Advani, former deputy Prime Minister of India.
GLC Mumbai Courses
The institute provides LLB, Diploma and Certificate courses at the UG and PG level under various specializations. Admission to all the courses is made purely based on merit and depends on the candidate's score in the CET examination for UG courses.
|Course||Specialization||Duration||Basic Eligibility Criteria||Selection Criteria|
|LL.B||-||3 year||Candidates must have passed the 10+2||Merit list based on CET.|
|B.L.S.-L.L.B.||-||5 year||Candidates need to secure minimum 50% marks in any degree examination.|
|PG Diploma||Securities Law||1 year||PG in any discipline is required.||Selection is made according to the rules and guidelines laid down by the college.|
|Intellectual Property Rights|
|PG Certificate||Human Rights||3 months|
|Diploma||Cyber Law||-||Candidate should have done LLB.|
Read more: GLC Mumbai Courses & Fees
GLC Mumbai Admission Procedure
Candidates can apply for CET by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Candidates need to apply online by visiting the official website of the GLC, Mumbai.
- Next, they needed to pay an application fee of INR 800 and INR 400 for reservation categories.
- Candidates can also get the application form from the college itself
- The duly filled application form needs to be submitted to the college within the given time frame.
The documents mentioned below need to be submitted along with the application form:
- Candidate's CET Scorecard
- Candidate's original statement of marks with an attested copy.
- Candidate's original Caste Certificate( if applicable)
- Candidate's Passing certificate and a certified copy of a document indicating the candidate's date of birth.
- Two passport size photographs of the candidate
- Provincial Eligibility Certificate issued by Mumbai University will be needed in case the student is migrating from some other university.
- The certificate's application needs to be made to the Registrar of Mumbai University in the suitable form along with the application fees.
- For a student passing out from a college affiliated to the Mumbai University, a Transfer Certificate (TC) from that particular college will be needed. The application for the TC needs to be sent to college in the application form.
- In the case of international students seeking admission, a passport and a student visa are mandatory at the time of entry.
Read more: GLC Mumbai Admissions
GLC Mumbai Placements
The institute has an excellent placement committee which acts as a bridge between students and recruiting companies. The committee organizes two placements weeks every year in September and February for eligible candidates. Recruiters from all across the country conduct on-campus as well as off-campus placements during this particular period.
According to some of the institute's graduated students on a popular quora thread, the companies which visit the campus include reputed names like:
- Amarchand Mangaldas
Read more: GLC Mumbai Placements
GLC Mumbai Scholarships
The institute offers several scholarships to meritorious students with the help of college sponsors and trusts. Tabulated below are some of the top scholarships provided by the institute:
|Fair and Lovely Foundation Scholarship for Women||Rs. 1,00,000 / Year||Fair and Lovely Foundation|
|Singapore-Industry Scholarship (SgIS) Mid-Term Overseas||$ 60,000||Singapore Government|
|GP Birla Educational Scholarships||Rs. 50,000 / Year||GP Birla Education...|
|Asha-Shree Endowment Scholarship||Rs. 50,000 / Year||Asha-Shree Endowment|
Apart from these, the institute offers a total of around 20 scholarships to eligible candidates.
Read more: GLC Mumbai Scholarship
GLC Mumbai Facilities
The college boasts of an excellent infrastructure along with the best facilities for its students' well-being and comfort. Some of these facilities include:
- Fully Updated Library: The institute's library is known for its rare collection of books and on many different subjects. The institute also has a reading room, which is one of the most visited places by the students on the campus.
- Electronic Research Room: The Electronic Research Room (ERR) is an extended part of the library and hosts the Research Room as well as a Computer Centre for students. The ERR has several PCs and is highly useful to students representing the college at various moot court and research paper competitions.
- Hostel Accommodation: The college has no hostel accommodation of its own, but there are several hostels in the institute's vicinity for all students.
- Sports Facilities: The institute believes in its students' overall development and has a mini gymkhana on the campus. The Oval Maidan is very close to the college and is frequented by cricketing and football enthusiasts.
Read more: GLC Mumbai Hostels
GLC Mumbai Faculty
The foundations of a college lie in the hands of its faculty and GLC has one of the best faculty to be found. Most of the teachers are doctorates and have a plethora of knowledge and expertise in their fields of expertise and are at the ranks of Associate and Assistant Professors. The Principal of the college is Dr. Rohidas Kale who supervises overall administration of the college.
Read more: GLC Mumbai Faculty
GLC Mumbai FAQs
Ques. Does GLC Mumbai provide any seat reservations for eligible candidates?
Ans. Yes,GLC Mumbai does provide reservations and tabulated below are all the categories and percentage of seats reserved:
|SC and SC students who have adopted Buddhist Religion||13|
|Nomadic Tribes (Dhangar and Similar Tribes (NT-2) C||3|
|Nomadic Tribes (Vanjari and Similar Tribes) NT-3) D||2|
Ques. What entrance examination needs to be given for gaining admission into GLC, Mumbai, and what is the institute's cutoff?
Ans. For getting selected in GLC Mumbai, candidates need to give the CET examination, and the cutoff marks in 2018 were 127 and 111 for General and OBC categories, respectively. Read More
Ques. What are the various job opportunities for students of GLC Mumbai?
Ans. The placement committee of GLC Mumbai conducts two placement weeks every year for positions like:
- Articled Clerk
Ques. What are the various publications that have been released by GLC, Mumbai?
Ans. The college releases an Annual GLC Magazine' MéLAWnge,' which is a balance of legal knowledge as well as fictional scenarios. Apart from this, the institute also publishes The Law Review, which gives the students a chance to explore various fields of legal research and writing.
Ques. Does GLC, Mumbai, have good college alumni?
Ans. The institute is the oldest law college in Asia and has several reputed names in its alumni like:
- Dr. Pratibha Patil
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
- Ram Jethmalani