Savitri Girls’ College is a women’s college located in Kolkata, West Bengal, and it provides Commerce and Arts programs to empower women from financially weaker backgrounds. Established in 1972, the institute is affiliated to the University of Calcutta and is also recognized by U.G.C. Furthermore, the college has also been given an NAAC accreditation with a grade B.
The courses offered in the field of arts involve B.A. in several different specializations, and in the commerce section, candidates have the option of opting for a B.Com degree. Admission to these courses is made purely based on merit and depends on the candidate’s marks in their 10+2 examinations.
The institute is known for providing scholarships and also waiving off tuition fees for the deserving candidates. Along with this, the college also offers a range of facilities for its students to make their campus life much more comfortable and efficient.
Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata Highlights
|Year of establishment||1972|
|Campus||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Recognized by||U.G.C., accredited by NAAC with grade B|
|Modes of education||Full-time|
|Number of courses offered||B.A. and B.Com|
|Gender intake||Women Only|
Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata Achievements
The institute is known for its accolades and achievements and listed below are some of the many accomplishments of this institute :
- The N.S.S. the unit of Savitri Girls’ College has won laurels for their significant results in the Republic Day parade held in Delhi and has been presented with trophies and medals.
- The institute is known for providing affordable education and empowering women from the financially weaker sections of the society.
Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata Courses
The institute offers several courses under the arts and commerce categories, and admission to these courses is made purely based on merit. Tabulated below are all the courses as well as their details:
|Course Name||Specialization||Duration||Basic Eligibility Criteria||Selection Criteria|
|B.A.||Hindi||Three years||Candidates should have passed their 10+2 examinations.||Merit-Based|
Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata Admission
Admission to this institute is made purely based on merit obtained by students in their 10+2 examinations. Listed below is the admission procedure for this institute:
- Candidates can apply for admissions through the electronic application form present on the official website of the university.
- The essential requirement for the online application is a web browser, suitably chrome or firefox, and a debit card/credit card or net banking details for payment.
- Once the candidates have duly filled the form, they need to pay the online application fee and click on submit.
- After successful payment, candidates will get an e-challan receipt and a pdf of the application form for future uses.
- The candidates can then login to the student portal using the user id and password, which was sent to them via SMS and follow the updates and procedures mentioned there.
Read more: Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata Admission
Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata Scholarships
The college is known for its generous scholarships and fee waivers for deserving candidates. Listed below are some of the scholarship details:
- According to the college’s NAAC report, it provides financial assistance to selected students in terms of fee waivers to the extent of half and one-fourth of the candidate’s tuition fee.
- The college also felicitates high achieving students in terms of marks with awards and accolades.
- A few awards are also given out as donations by philanthropic organizations.
Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata Facilities
Although the college is not one of the best out there in terms of facilities due to its limited resources and financial constraints, it does manage to provide basic amenities and facilities to its students as listed below:
- Auditorium and Smart Classrooms: The institute has a fully equipped hall where cultural events, seminars as well as workshops take place. Apart from this, the institute has two smart classrooms, one virtual classroom along with a computer lab.
- N.S.S. unit: The College has a highly organized N.S.S. unit, which holds several activities and camps on different topics. The group has received recognition from Calcutta University, and one staff member has even got the best volunteer award.
- Co-curricular and Extra-curricular activities: To enable all-round growth and personality development of students, the college regularly organizes competitions in various fields such as dance, music, and elocution, to name a few. The students are also encouraged to participate in sports competitions and excursions.
- Library: The college has a highly updated library with a total of over 15.643 books. The library is open during college hours and can be used by students as well as the staff. Apart from this, the library provides a reading area for students and staff along with options of journals, magazines, and newspapers. Recently the library started making use of e-books and e-journals for the students and also included a computer facility to search for any book present in the library.
- The college houses several cells and clubs for the well-being of the students as listed below:
- Medical Cell.
- Career Counseling Cell.
- Personal Counseling Cell
- Community Development Cell.
- Grievance Cell.
- Publication Cell.
- Culture Cell.
- Student Welfare Cell
- Drama Club.
- Debate Club.
- Nature Club.
Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata FAQs
Ques. Is Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata, a government college?
Ques. What are the courses offered at Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata?
Ques. What are the basic eligibility and selection criteria for Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata?
Ques. What is the admission procedure for Savitri Girls’ College, Kolkata?
Ques. Does Savitri Girls’ College offer placement opportunities?