Vidyalankar Institute of Technology(VIT) is an engineering institute situated in Mumbai, which provides admission to eligible candidates to its BE program. Established in 1999, VIT has been approved by the AICTE and is affiliated to the University of Mumbai. It has been accredited by the NAAC with an excellent grade of A+. Admission to all the courses is made purely based on merit. For UG programs, the selection is made based on the candidate's score in the MHTCET examination. Similarly, for PG level programs, admission is made based on the candidate's GATE score. For Ph.D. courses, the candidate's marks in their last qualifying exam are taken into consideration. There are a total of 780 seats available for UG programs and 174 seats for PG courses.
The various streams available in the BE program are Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, and Biomedical Engineering. The campus is located in Wadala, which is well connected by all modes of transport and is in the heart of the city. The institute also provides several facilities for the well-being of its students.
VIT Mumbai Highlights
Tabulated below are the admission highlights of this college along with some other key details:
|Name of the University||Vidyalankar Institute of Technology|
|Affiliated to||Mumbai University (MU)|
|Basic Admission Criteria||Maharashtra State CET|
|Selection Criteria||MHT CET/ PG CET|
|Official College Website||https://vit.edu.in/|
VIT Mumbai Achievements
The institute is widely regarded as one of Mumbai's best engineering colleges, and it has several achievements to its name like:
- Vidyalankar's CSI Chapter won the Best Accredited Student Branch Award in 2013 and 2015.
- Students of VIT, Mumbai, won accolades at the Inter-University Avishkar Research Convention in 2018.
- Students were selected in the Mumbai University Team for Tug of War at the National Level.
- VIT created a solo music competition called Swarlankar
- V.I.T. organized MAADHYAM conclave.
VIT Mumbai Courses
The institute provides engineering programs at the UG, PG, and Doctorate level to eligible candidates. Admission to these programs is made purely based on merit and depends on various selection criteria. Tabulated below are all the courses along with the eligibility and selection criteria:
|Course Name||Specialization||Duration||Intake||Basic Eligibility Criteria||Selection Criteria|
|BE.||Information Technology||4 Years||120||Candidates need to pass their 10+2 exams with a minimum 50% marks in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry/ Biology/ Biotechnology/ any other technical vocational subject taken together||MHTCET|
|Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering||120|
|ME||Information Technology||2 Years||18||Candidates need to have a B.E. / B. Tech in a relevant or allied discipline with minimum 50% marks||GATE score|
|Electronics and Telecommunication||18|
|MMS||Management||2 Years||120||Candidates need to have a graduation in any discipline, 50% marks||CAP|
|PhD||Computer Engineering||3 Years||10||Candidates need to have an M.E./ M. Tech in the relevant discipline||Purely Merit Based|
Read more: VIT Mumbai Courses & Fees
VIT Mumbai Admissions 2020
The application procedure for gaining admission to the Vidyalankar Institute of Technology is mentioned below:
For BE programs:
- Candidates first need to visit the MHT CET website www.dtemaharashtra.gov.in/mhtcet.
- Next, the candidates must fill all the required information and enter a password to complete the registration process.
- An email will be sent, confirming the registration procedure in case the registration is successful.
- Candidates can then log in to their MHT CET account in the future using the given Application Number and password.
- The candidate must then upload scanned copies of his/her passport size photograph and signature. The permitted format is .jpg/.jpeg only.
- The application fee of INR 800 can be paid only through the online payment modes available. The MHT CET board recognizes no other mode of fee payment.
- Candidates must then save and print the complete application form and payment acknowledgment slip for future uses.
- Students must also download the Admit Card on the mentioned date.
For ME programs:
- Candidates need to visit the DTE website www.dtemaharashtra.gov.in for online submission of the application form.
- Payment of the application fee can be made online through various payment modes.
- Candidates must then go to the Facilitation Center after submitting the application form for the document verification procedure as well as the confirmation of application form.
- After the merit list has been declared, candidates need to fill the online registration form for CAP conducted by Maharashtra DTE.
Ph.D. candidates need to apply through the official institute website or collect a copy of the application form from the institute's admission cell. The Registration fee can be paid either online or by making a cash deposit at the designated fee counter.
A Filled in copy of the application form should be given with photocopies of required documents mentioned in the information brochure on or before the last date.
The documents mentioned below must be submitted (by post along with application form)/produced at the time of counseling:
- Candidate's X and XII Mark sheet
- Candidate's Graduation Mark sheet
- Candidate's Certificate of sponsorship (as applicable for Ph.D. candidates)
- Candidate's Transfer / Leaving Certificate of XII Std.
- Candidate's Caste Certificate (for Reserved Category CAP candidates)
- Candidate's Aadhar card (UID Number)
- Passport size photograph of the candidate
Read more: VIT Mumbai Admission 2020
VIT Mumbai Placements
The college has an excellent Training and Placement Cell, which guides the students through their placement journey and makes it easier. Here are some placement statistics for VIT, Mumbai:
- Over 378+ students were placed in the year 2019-2020.
- The highest salary package offered was 37.5 LPA.
- Top companies like TCS, Reliance JIO, Zeus Learning, and Toppr came to the campus for recruitments.
Read more: VIT Mumbai Placement
VIT Mumbai Scholarships
The institute offers scholarships to meritorious candidates from certain categories like the SC/ST. All scholarships are provided in accordance with the Government of Maharashtra scholarship schemes. Given below is a list of the available scholarships:
- EBC scholarships
- Minority Scholarships
- Samaj Kalyan Scholarships
- Tata Scholarships
Read more: VIT Mumbai Scholarship
VIT Mumbai Facilities
The institute provides several facilities for the well being of its students like:
- Hostel facilities for all students
- Canteen facilities
- Computer Labs
- Fully updated library
- Academic zones
- Sports fields
- Green campus
VIT Mumbai Faculty
The key to a good institute is its faculty, and VIT has an excellent one that supports and guides the student at every stage of his college life. Most of the faculty are Masters or Ph.D. degree holders who have a stronghold of theoretical as well as practical knowledge. The college is headed by Dr. Sunil Patekar as its principal and Prof. Harsha Bhosle as its Vice-Principal.
Read more: VIT Mumbai Faculty
VIT Mumbai FAQs
Ques. Does VIT, Mumbai, provide any reservations?
Ans. Yes, the college does provide reservations to eligible candidates. Tabulated below are the categories and other details for being eligible for a reservation:
|Category Name||Percentage of Seats|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||13%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||15%|
|Vimukta Jati/ De Notified Tribes (DT) (NT-A)||03%|
|Nomadic Tribes I (NT-B)||2.5%|
|Nomadic Tribes II (NT-C)||3.5%|
|Nomadic Tribes III (NT-D)||02%|
|Other Backward Caste (OBC)||19%|
|Ward of Defence Personnel||05%|
|A person with Disability (PwD)||03%|
Ques. What are the various creations of VIT, Mumbai?
Ans. The students and faculty have created three in house programs which are:
- vLive- Active Learning Portal
- vPrint- In-house printing station
- vRefer- Teaching Learning Repository
Ques. What are the various extracurricular opportunities that VIT, Mumbai, provides?
Ans. The college offers several activities and programs which include:
- Arts and Culture Programs
- Social Connect programs
- Sports competitions
- Seminars and exhibitions
Ques. Does VIT, Mumbai, host guest lectures for its students?
Ans. Yes, the institute regularly conducts guest lectures and some eminent personalities who have visited the campus are:
- Dr. Kirit Parekh who talked about Low Carbon Strategy for Inclusive Growth
- Dr. Raghunath Mashelkar, who talked about Building India as a Science, Technology, and Innovation superpower.
Ques. What were the various social initiatives undertaken by VIT, Mumbai?
Ans. The institute engaged itself in several social activities like:
- Sewage Treatment Plant for Waste Water
- Plastic Awareness Campaign
- Bicycle to College Day
- Environmental Awareness Session
- E-Waste Collection Bin