Barasat Government College was established in 1950, and is affiliated to West Bengal State University (WBSU), Barasat. It is approved by UGC and NAAC and has also received DST-FIST grant in 2013.
Currently having around 3000 students and a wonderful faculty team, the college offers UG and PG courses in Arts and Sciences. The college also has a unit of Netaji Subhas Open University which offers 21 UG and PG course programmes.
The college holds a glorious cultural past and was formed after the partition of Bengal. It provides all the basic amenities to its students such as Canteen, Sports facilities, Wi-Fi, Labs, Health care, etc. It also provides a number of scholarships to needy students. The college holds an admission process every year and students are admitted on the basis of merit.
Barasat Government College Highlights
The glance of the institute is given through the following points:
|Established I Institute type||1950 I Public|
|Approved by||UGC (University Grants Commission)|
|Affiliated to||West Bengal State University (WBSU), Barasat|
|Location||North 24 Parganas, Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Courses offered||UG & PG|
|Popular Courses||B.Sc, M.Sc|
|Entrance exams||Conducted by College|
|Facilities Available||Hostels, Library, Labs, Internet, Sports, Health care, Bank, etc.|
Barasat Government College Courses
The college offers both UG and PG courses in Arts and Science fields and offers a lot of specializations to choose from. The basic eligibility criteria, duration and selection criteria are tabulated below:
|Course Name||Specializations||Duration||Basic Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|BA (Hons.)||Sanskrit||3 years||10+2||Merit based|
|B.Sc. (Hons.)||Botany||3 years||10+2 (Science stream)||Merit based|
|B.Sc.||General||10+2 (Science stream)|
|MA||Bengali||2 years||Bachelor’s degree from related field of study.||Based on merit and written test conducted by the college|
|M.Sc.||Botany||Bachelor’s degree from related field of study with Chemistry as a general subject at the undergraduate level.|
Read more: Barasat Government College Courses & Fees
Barasat Government College Admission
The admission to all the courses is mainly based on merit and the marks scored by candidates in qualifying examinations are considered for selection.
How to Apply?
- The candidates have to apply through online forms available at official website bgc.org.in during the application period.
- Then they have to register as a new candidate and fill out and submit the application form.
- The candidates have to pay application fee which is different for UG and PG courses.
- Application fee is to be paid online using credit card / debit card / net banking.
- A candidate may apply for any number of courses for which he / she is eligible for as per the eligibility criteria.
Candidates are required to have the following documents during the verification process:
- A copy of printed online Admission form + payment receipt
- 10 + 2 Mark sheet/Graduation marksheet
- 10 (Secondary) admit card (Original) / Birth Certificate
- SC / ST / OBC / PH certificates (issued by proper authority) (if applicable)
- Two stamped size recent colour photographs.
Read more: Barasat Government College Admission
Barasat Government College Scholarships
The College offers various scholarships to the needy and meritorious students. Some of the major scholarships offered by Barasat Government College are:
- Kanyashree Prakalpa: Department of Women Development and Social Welfare, Government of West Bengal provides this scholarship for improving the status and well-being of the girl child in West Bengal. This is an Annual Scholarship given to unmarried girls aged 13-18 years enrolled in classes VIII-XII in government schools. The One-time Grant of INR 25,000/- is provided for girls turned 18 at the time of application. It is only granted to girls who belong to families with annual family income not more than INR 1, 20,000/- only.
- Swami Vivekananda Merit cum Means Scholarship: This scholarship is given to help the meritorious students belonging to economically backward families to pursue higher studies. Here also, the family income has been fixed at INR 2,50,000/- per annum for eligibility.
Another Scheme is known as K3, in which one time scholarship is provided to those girl students who are pursuing their post-graduation in various P.G. Departments.
- Minority Scholarship: This Scholarship is awarded to students for pursuing studies from class XI and onwards up to Ph.D.
- Chief Minister Relief Fund Nabanna Scholarship: This is given to students who are permanent residents of the State of West Bengal and have got 60% in aggregate in H.S. Examination.
- PG Indira Gandhi scholarship for Single girl child: Girl students without having any brother or the girl student who are twin daughters/ fraternal daughter can apply for this scholarship.
Other than the above mentioned scholarship there are many other Central Sector Scholarships for meritorious students.
Read more: Barasat Government College Scholarships
Barasat Government College Facilities
The college provides all the basic facilities to its students in its campus only. The infrastructure of the campus is quite well built with facilities like:
Medical facilities: The College has a Medical Unit offering First Aid facility. In case of emergency the facilities available at the nearby hospitals can also be utilized.
Sports facilities: The College provides various sports and games for overall development of students. Competitions in different games and sports events like Annual Sports and Athletic Meet, volleyball, carom, table tennis, badminton etc. are organized every year.
Gymnasium: The college has a Multi-gym which is well-equipped for the students.
Cafeteria: The College has a canteen which provides delicious food at subsidized rates and also is a hangout place for students. It is also approved by the FSSAI.
Common room: The College has many Common Rooms meant for Boys and Girls. Facilities such as Indoor Games are enjoyed by the students during their leisure hours.
Barasat Government College Faculty
The faculty of Barasat Government College is highly qualified and is expert in teaching in their respective subjects. Dr. Debesh Roy is the principal and chairman of the college and heads the administrative body. Here is a list of some of the faculty members:
- Dr. Sk. Abdul Gani: Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry
- Dr. Sumana Saha: Associate Professor & Head, Dept. of Zoology
- Smt Arpita Neogi Sengupta: Associate Professor, Dept. of Philosophy
- Dr. Indranath Bhattacharya: Associate Professor, Dept. of Mathematics
- Dr. Samrajnee Dutta: Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry
The college also has a teacher’s council which takes care of all the activities and clubs of the college.
Read more: Barasat Government College Faculty
Barasat Government College FAQs
Ques. Are all the courses offered by Barasat Government College approved/ recognized?
- UGC [University Grants Commission]
- NAAC [Accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council]
Ques. Does Barasat Government College provide hostel facility?
Ques. Is any special training provided to students apart from course syllabus at Barasat Government College?
Ques. Are there any part time courses or distance education courses available at Barasat Government College?
Ques. What is the average fee for B.Sc (Hons.) programme for first year at Barasat Government College?