Thunchan Memorial Government College is one of the best government colleges in Kerala that offers various programs to interested students. The college was established in 1980 and was inaugurated by the then Education Minister of Kerala, Sri. Baby John. The institute is approved by AICTE, New Delhi, and is accredited NAAC grade B+. This college is affiliated with the University of Calicut. Originally the college was named as Government college, but later it was renamed Thunchan Memorial Government College in the honor of the father of Modern Malayalam Language in 1981.
The college aims at creating a healthy learning environment and facilitating socially relevant education to the youths of the state. The college offers courses in diploma undergraduate, and postgraduate levels to the eligible students. The admission to this Institute varies with the course opted by the student.
Thunchan Memorial Government College Highlights
|Approved by||AICTE, New Delhi|
|Affiliated with||University of Calicut|
|Program offered||Diploma, Undergraduate, and Postgraduate|
Thunchan Memorial Government College Courses Offered
The Thunchan Memorial Government College offers a wide range of courses to the students which can be opted by the students based on their interest. The college offers undergraduate, postgraduate programs, and add on courses which include some diploma programs. It also offers open courses, ASAP (Additional Skill Acquisition Programme),and also continuing education cell (CEC) also offers some courses to the interested candidates. The below table gives a brief idea about the courses offered at this college:
|Undergraduate programs||B.A, B.Sc, and B.Com
Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: 10+2 completed in respective streams.
|Postgraduate programs||M.A, M.Sc, and M.Com
Duration: 2 years
|Add on courses||Diploma in Accounting and Management, Arabic translation, Astrophotography, etc.
Duration: 2 years
Eligibility: Admitted to an undergraduate program
|Open courses||Arabic, Commerce, Physics, Physical education, etc.
Duration: 1 year
Eligibility: final year of an undergraduate program.
18 programs are offered with 30 seats for each course.
|Courses offered by CEC||IT, Engineering, and marketing courses
Duration: 3 years
Candidate needs to fulfil the eligibility criteria to join various courses offered at this college:
- The candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- The candidate should have completed 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized board of education with a minimum of 35% aggregate marks in the respective streams for joining undergraduate courses.
- The candidate should have a bachelor's degree in the respective streams with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks to get admission in the respective streams for M.tech.
- The age limit varies with the course opted.
Thunchan Memorial Government College Admissions
The admission process to various programs will vary. But it always follows the guidelines of the University of Calicut that follows a Centralized admission process.
Admissions to Undergraduate program:
- The application can be downloaded or applied in the online mode on the official website.
- Fill in all the necessary details and pay the specified fee amount.
- Take a print out of the application.
- The seats will be allotted to the eligible students purely on the merit basis.
- The candidate can reach the college with the necessary documents to get admission.
Admissions to Postgraduate program:
- Visit the official website of the University of Calicut and apply for postgraduate programs.
- Fill in all the necessary details and pay the fee.
- Then the seats will be allotted to the eligible students.
- The students can reach college and get admission.
Thunchan Memorial Government College Placements
The college does not have a placement wing or cell, in particular, to take care of the placement of students. It also doesn't provide any internship facilities nor does it organize ant campus placement offers. But the faculty at the college are very much experienced and help the students regarding job and employment opportunities according to their field of study. The alumni team and faculty are very much helpful in guiding the students to choose the right career and help in getting suitable jobs.
Thunchan Memorial Government College Scholarships
The college is a step ahead in facilitating scholarships to the students. It offers and facilitates a wide range of scholarships to the eligible and deserving students of the college. The scholarships will be granted on a merit basis and also based on the income of the parents. The scholarships facilitated at this college vary from fee concession schemes to merit scholarships.
The list of scholarships facilitated at this college are as follows:
- Fee concession scholarships.
- District merit scholarship.
- Muslim Nadar girls scholarship.
- Post matric scholarship.
- State merit scholarship.
- Suvarna Jubilee merit scholarship.
- Inspire scholarship.
- Pratibha scholarship.
- PG scholarship.
- Indira Gandhi single girl child scholarship.
- ONGC scholarship.
- Fair and lovely scholarship.
- Sitaram Jindal foundation scholarship and others.
Thunchan Memorial Government College Facilities
The Institute has various facilities that are evolving and upgrading as the college has progressed. These facilities aid in providing an optimum learning environment for students and thereby encouraging the students to learn more effectively. Some of the facilities available at this college are briefed below:
- Library: The college has a spacious and well-settled library that provides a peaceful environment to the students for learning. The library is well equipped and has a good seating capacity. The library has tonnes of books, periodicals, journals, and magazines for the reference of the students. The library is accessible by students and even books can be borrowed by the students for reference.
- Residential facilities: The college has residential facilities for girl students, teaching, and non-teaching staff. The hostels are well furnished with necessary furniture, electricity, and water connectivity. It also has a mess for the food requirements of students.
- Telescope room: The college as already said has developed a lot over the years. It has also got a telescope room with three telescopes under the department of physics. The telescopes cost around 15 lakhs and are used for the night watch. The college also organizes sky watching night camps for students and local people.
- Continuing education sub-center: The college has received permission from the Directorate of continuing education to start this sub-center. The classes will be conducted by this center during holidays and morning hours on the courses provided by the department to the enrolled students.
- Auditorium: The college has an auditorium with a 3000 sq m area which is equipped with modern equipment with a good seating capacity. It is used to conduct various cultural programs and functions.
- Sports: The college promotes the physical education of the students by encouraging various sports activities. It has facilities like a big playground, physical education room, and indoor stadium for encouraging different sports activities by both girl and boy students. They encourage games like cricket, football, volleyball, badminton, tennis, kabaddi, and many other games.
- Laboratories: The college has many laboratories for different departments with well-experienced instructors and assistants in the lab. The labs have all the necessary equipment and tools that are required by the students to learn more effectively about the subject in the study.
Thunchan Memorial Government College Faculty
The college has a good number of faculty members who have helped the college in evolving and upgrading itself over the years. The faculty team in coordination with the principal, Mrs. Usha Kumary has been striving their best to impart quality education to the students. The faculty is well experienced, dedicated, and are student-friendly in nature. They guide and encourage the students on the right path in their career helping them to become responsible citizens. The faculty team is one of the main reasons for the inevitable success the college has achieved over the years.
Thunchan Memorial Government College FAQs:
Ques. How can I contact the administration of this college?
Ans. You can contact the administration of this college by calling 0494 263 0027 or by reaching the college at Vakkad (Po), Tirur-676502, Tirur, Malappuram, Kerala.
Ques. What is the fee structure followed at this college?
Ans. The fee structure followed at this college is regulated by the University of Calicut. The fee to be paid by the candidate is Rs 1000 per year for the Undergraduate programs which add up to Rs 3000 for undergraduate programs. For postgraduate programs it is Rs 1800 per year and totals up to Rs 3600 for the same.
Ques. What are the documents to be submitted at the time of admission to the undergraduate program?
Ans. The documents to be submitted at the time of admission to the undergraduate program are as follows:
- 10+2 mark sheet.
- Transfer certificate.
- Admission fee receipt.
- SSLC mark sheet.
- Caste certificate.
- Domicile certificate.
Ques. What are the documents to be submitted at the time of admission to the postgraduate program?
Ans. The documents to be submitted at the time of admission to the postgraduate program are:
- Transfer certificate.
- Degree certificate.
- Mark list of qualifying Examinations.
- SSLC mark sheet.
- Caste certificate.
Ques. How are the accommodation facilities at this college?
Ans. The college has good accommodation facilities for girl students and staff. But it doesn't have accomodation facilities for boys and hence they have to travel from home or join any pg available in the town according to their convenience. The hostels and staff quarters are well furnished and provide all the necessary facilities.