Vivekananda College For Women, situated in Kolkata is affiliated to University of Calcutta, Kolkata. The college offers 25 courses across 5 streams namely, Arts, Education, Science, Commerce and Banking, Performing Arts. The 25 courses are offered at the UG and PG level. Students may also enrol themselves for M. Phil and Ph. D programs that encourage work on research projects under the mentorship of PhD-qualified guides. Admission to the college is mainly merit-based except for the MA program. The 40% MA seats are filled in by the students qualifying the college entrance-exam.
Check More: Calcutta University Result 2020
Vivekananda College for Women Highlights
A brief of the college and the various courses offered is given below:
|Established | Type||1961 | Public|
|Affiliated to||University of Calcutta|
|Courses offered||BA, BA (Hons), B. Com, B. Sc, and MA|
|Facilities||Gym, Medical, Library, Common Room, Canteen, etc.|
Vivekananda College for Women Courses
Vivekananda College for Women has various undergraduate as well as postgraduate courses for its students. The details of the various courses offered at Vivekananda College for Women is given below:
Read More: Vivekanand College for Women Courses & Fees
Vivekananda College for Women Admission
The admissions at the college are merit-based. Students are required to apply online for admission to various courses. The entire process is, however, a mix of online as well as offline for all the programs.
- The basic eligibility for admission in the UG courses of VCW is 10+2 (in the relevant stream) with a minimum 50% aggregate mark.
- For the M.A program, candidates must have a graduation degree from a recognized university.
How to apply?
- Aspirants are required to download the application form online and submit the filled-in format college office.
- After the forms are submitted, personal interviews are conducted to finalize the students
- After clearing the interview round, the students are invited for a counseling session along with their parents.
- Final admission cards are provided only after the successful payment of fees.
Note: Certain seats are reserved for SC, ST, OBC, and physically handicapped candidates in all the courses available at VCM. Also, Candidates with exceptional performance in sports are considered for admission under special cases.
Vivekananda College for Women Placements
Vivekananda College for Women has tie-ups with employment agencies that select students from the campus and send them to placement interviews. These employment agencies (EMCONS, ABP Career Cell, etc) have a very high reach and help the students selected from campus to get placed in large organizations.
Some meritorious students also get placed in major industry giants such as IBM.
The placement cell of Vivekananda College for Women organizes free training courses such as Advanced Excel and Tally ERP towards helping students to get gainful employment. They also hold constant career counseling free of cost.
Apart from this, the placement cell of Vivekananda College for Women is constantly working on general qualitative development of the students through organizing regular compulsory Communicative English and General Intelligence classes for all students. These courses are run throughout the year and are a necessary part of the curriculum at Vivekananda College for Women.
Vivekananda College for Women Facilities
- Gym: The college has a small gymnasium equipped with advanced equipment like an automatic walker machine, a twister, and standing exercise bike is erected adjacent to the Games Room.
- Medical: Regular medical checkups are done by registered medical practitioners who visit the campus from time to time. First aid and basic medicinal support are always provided to students and staff in cases of emergencies. In certain extraordinary cases, the college helps in the treatment of chronic diseases.
- Not only physical illnesses are treated, trained registered psychologists to counsel the students as well as staff to get out of mental stress, depression, and trauma.
- All the support that is provided to its students are free of cost
- Library: The college library is very spacious and spread over a total of 2000 sq. ft. It has 2 reading rooms and a total seating capacity of a total of 48 students at a time. Students also have access to over 30000 books
- Common room: There is a spacious common room for leisure activities and indoor as well as board games. It serves as a hangout spot for the students
- Sports: Vivekananda College for Women has facilities of indoor as well as outdoor games. There is a large and spacious game room for students to play games such as table tennis ( for which regular training sessions are held ), Chinese checkers, carom, ludo, etc. The outdoor gaming infrastructure is also taken care of. For games like football, cricket, the student’s practice in the grounds of the University of Calcutta. The College also has a great cricket and a table tennis team
- I.T Infrastructure: Vivekananda College for Women has a computer training center which started in January 2002. The aims of this training center was to make students computer literate at nominal rates and enable learning of the students so that they can compete with their peers
- Cafeteria: The college canteen offers food to students catering to vegetarian as well as nonvegetarian preferences at subsidized rates so students can afford them.
- Auditorium: The college auditorium is quite small as the seating capacity of the auditorium is merely a hundred and fifty. However, it is well equipped with air-conditioning, screen, sound system, make-up room, and toilet facility, etc. It is ideal for holding seminars and training sessions
- Alumni Associations: The college has maintained good relations with its alumni and had a strong networking among the alumni association. They also constantly come back for providing training sessions
- Laboratories: The college has a departmental based laboratories for the students well equipped with modern teaching aids for the convenience of the students
- Convenience Store : The store is the go-to place for all the I stationery requirements of the students of the college
- Parking Facility: The college has a cycle stand that can accommodate nearly 20 cycles and two-wheelers at any point
Vivekananda College for Women Scholarships
The college offers scholarships to the students who are in need of it.
- It offers scholarships for SC, ST, OBC and other minority groups
- It also offers scholarships to students belonging to economically weaker sections depending upon the need and family income of the individual
- The college is attached to various government schemes for its students. For instance scholarships such as the Kanyashree Prakalpa, Freeship etc
- It also provides scholarships in the form of monetary incentives to outperforming and meritorious students
- Students are required to apply for these scholarships at the beginning of the academic year and the dispersal of these scholarships is on the discretion of the college management
Vivekananda College for Women FAQs
Ques. Does the Vivekananda College for Women have hostel facilities for the students?
Ans. No, the college does not offer hostel facilities to its students. All the students are day scholars in the Vivekananda College for Women.
Ques. How are the placements at Vivekananda College for Women?
Ans. The placement scene at Vivekananda College for Women is not very robust. Some of the top performers get placed in high-end companies. The major one being IMB where the toppers get placed.
However, the college constantly organizes training sessions as well as profile development sessions to aid the students. Career guidance sessions are also conducted so that the students can plan their future. Apart from these, the college constantly promotes and offers professional courses such as Advanced Excel and Tally ERP 9 to its students so that they have the right skill sets before entering the corporate world.
Ques. What is the admission process for MA programs?
Ans. For the MA program, 60% of the total number of seats are earmarked for the University of Calcutta students only. The admission for this 60% will be on the basis of merit on graduation marks.
The remaining 40% of the seats are offered to non-University of Calcutta students who have to appear for the university entrance exam and admissions are offered on the basis of the merit list prepared by the college.
Ques. How are UG and PG course results announced?
Ans. The UG and PG results are announced online on the official website.
Ques. How is the faculty of the college?
Ans. The faculty of the college is highly qualified with Master’s and Doctoral degrees in their relevant fields. The faculty members are working at the posts of Associate and Assistant Professors.
Read More: Vivekananda College for Women Faculty