The Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam was established in 1982, and recognized as the 3rd Nursing college in the Government sector, Kerala. The Institute has been affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam and has also been approved by INC.
The Institute offers various B.Sc, M.Sc and Post Diploma courses across various specializations. The means of application is both Online and Offline.
Since GCN, Kottayam collaborates with Medical College Hospital, Kottayam, students get immense exposure to the real world of caring, interacting with individuals sick and well. This makes the student's transition from nursing students to professional nurses smooth and effortless. The Institute also offers 12 Months of Internships opportunities to B.Sc students as well.
The college offers various support programs and scholarships. E grants, post-matric scholarships, and various private scholarships are available for students. Loan facilities are readily available for students.
Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam, Kerala: Highlights
|Established | Institute type||1982 | Govt.|
|Approved with||INC(Indian Nursing Council)|
|Affiliated to||Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam|
|Courses Offered||BSc Nursing, MSc Nursing, Post Diploma courses|
|Course Duration||1 to 4 years|
|Facilities Available||Library, Auditorium, Hospital, Laboratories, Alumni Associations etc|
|Official Website||Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam, Kerala|
Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam, Kerala: Ranking
Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam has been reviewed by various educational pages and review sites like fever and more with an overall grade of 4.2/5. The overall academic experience is valuable as shared by many students. The institution has been successful in bagging various recognitions such as:
- Awarded for Best College Magazine in Nursing stream under KUHS 2018-19
- Obtained SNA East Zone overall cultural trophy in 2019
- Dr.Sreedevi T.R. Best Teacher Award, KUHS 2018
- Dr.Usha V.K., Best Teacher Award, KUHS 2019
- Dr.Sreedevi T.R.- Appointed as Dean, KUHS 2020
Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam, Kerala: Courses Offered
The details of the courses offered is mentioned below:
|B. Sc||Subject- Nursing
Eligibility- Passed 10+2 from any recognized board
Duration- 4 Years + 12 Months Internships
|Diploma||Subject- General Nursing and Midwifery
Eligibility- Passed 10+2 or equivalent
Duration- 3 Years
Subjects- Child Health Nursing, Community Health Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing, Obstetrics & Gynaecology Nursing and Psychiatry Nursing
|Post Diploma||Subjects- Critical Care Nursing, Neurology Nursing, Cardiothoracic Nursing, Neonatal Nursing and Oncology Nursing
Duration- 1 Year
Seats- 4 in each except for Critical Care Nursing with 6 seats
Read More: Govt. College of Nursing Courses & Fees
Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam, Kerala: Admission
A Kerala Government initiated, LBS Centre for Science and Technology (LBSCST), which manages the admissions to the various paramedical courses, which also includes B.Sc Nursing courses.
As stated by Kerala Government, admissions to the B.Sc Nursing in the govt nursing colleges of Kerala will be based on merit. A centralized allotment process is conducted by LBSCST to allot nursing seats to those that qualify for the normalization process.
Admissions to the B.Sc Nursing Courses is based on qualifying the Kerala B.Sc Nursing eligibility criteria:
- Aspirants must clear their 12th board exam in the stream of science from Kerala State Board of Education or any equivalent board, approved by the Kerala University of Health Science.
- Candidates must ensure that they have secured 50% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English.
How to apply?
- Candidates must visit the website of LBS Centre for Science and Technology.
- Then, Candidates need to register themselves as “New Candidate” and enter the necessary details.
- Next, Applicants should ensure that they have entered correct and complete details, as any false information or incorrect application forms.
- Applicants must save the application form and continue on with the next step of the application process which includes payment of the application fee.
- Candidates can pay from either online or offline more depending on the willingness of the candidates.
- Finally after online fees payment, submit the form.
Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam, Kerala: Faculty
This institution has experienced, skillful and competent faculty which is also the core of the institution. With dedication towards learning and teaching the college has been a stepping stone in the life of various students and made them ready for the real world.
Total Professors: 42
Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam, Kerala: Facilities
- Library: A well-lit, spacious library with 1000+ books and references for students to facilitate their research and understanding.
- Laboratories: Laboratories for all departments to experiment with and enhance their practical knowledge.
- Auditorium: The college infrastructure has an auditorium for various events and workshops. Various guest lectures have been conducted in this auditorium.
- Hospital: The college has its own hospital so students can practice along with their studies. This gives them exposure to real-life challenges and makes them more skillful and experienced.
- Hostel/ Mess: The college has a hostel equipped with all the basic necessities students need. The college also has a mess/canteen for students.
Ques. How can we contact GCN, Kottayam for inquiries?
Ans. The Address and contact information for GCN is Govt. College of Nursing Kottayam, Gandhinagar P.O, Kottayam, Kerala, India - 686008. Email: email@example.com
Ques. What are the student welfare programs offered by GCN, Kottayam?
- Medical Examination on admission
- Maintains Health Record for each student
- Student Support & Guidance Cell
- Periodic Co-Curricular Training Programs
- Anti – Ragging Policy
- A teacher guardian is allotted to each student in the B.sc & GNM programs of Govt. College of Nursing, Kottayam
Ques. What are the course fees for various programs offered in GCN, Kottayam?
Ans. The various courses offered by the institute have different fee structures.
- For BSc -INR 18,600/-
- For MSc - INR 32,000/
- Diploma in GNM - INR 4,000/-
Ques. How is GCN, Kottayam participating in the prevention and awareness spreading of Covid?
Ans. Students as well as faculties of Govt. Nursing colleges are actively participating in the Covid 19 control & prevention activities. Students conducted various training & health education sessions for the staff of District Collectorate, Water Authority, and DEO Office of Kottayam District in collaboration with District Medical Officer of Health, Kottayam.
Ques. Do GCN, Kottayam support online learning?
Ans. Institution has enabled a Moodle learning platform for faculties and students in unprecedented times like these. The online learning and teaching infrastructure was necessary and the institute was able to facilitate this model