Thanjavur Medical College, Tamil Nadu is a Government-funded Medical college established in the year 1959. It is affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University. It is one of the oldest medical colleges in Tamil Nadu and has an All-India ranking of 119 among Medical colleges and a state ranking of 08. It offers UG, PG & PG Diploma programs in the field of medical sciences. The PG programs are available across 16 disciplines. Admission to all the courses are entrance based followed by counseling
Thanjavur Medical College Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1959 | Government college|
|Affiliated to||The Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University|
|Set by||Government of Tamil Nadu|
|Courses offered||UG, PG & PG Diploma|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance based|
|Counselling||National level/ State level|
Thanjavur Medical College Courses
The college offers UG, PG & PG Diploma courses under various specializations. The courses with details are tabulated below:
|MBBS||-||10+2 pass with 50%||4.5 years|
|MD||General Medicines, Paediatrics, Anaesthesiology, Psychiatry, Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology||MBBS||3 years|
|MS||General Surgery, ENT, Orthopaedics, Ophthalmology||MBBS||3 years|
|M.Ch.||Plastic Surgery, Paediatric Surgery, Neuro Surgery||MBBS||3 years|
|PG Diploma||DGO, DCH, DLO, DMRD, DTCD, DA, D.Ortho, DPM, DDVL||MBBS||2 years|
Thanjavur Medical College Admission
Admission to the courses of TMC Thanjavur is purely based on merit scored in the entrance test. All seats of the college are allocated through centralized counselling and state counselling of the entrance test. The selection criteria for the courses are mentioned below:
- MBBS selection is done on the basis of rank obtained in NEET-UG followed by state quota or centralized counselling.
- For PG courses candidates need to qualify NEET-PG conducted by NBE. The higher the ranks, the higher will be their position in the merit list. Selected students will have to appear for counselling
- Visit the official website of NEET-UG/ NEET-PG
- Click on apply.
- Register yourself with your basic details.
- Proceed to fill the application form.
- Verify your mobile and email address.
- Pay the prescribed fees.
- Appear and qualify NEET-UG/ NEET-PG successfully.
- Register with Selection Committee DME, Tamil Nadu for state quota counselling.
- If allotted a seat, report online with required documents and prescribed fees
Read more: Thanjavur Medical College Admission
Thanjavur Medical College Scholarships
The college offers various scholarships and awards to its students. EWS students can apply for fee-concessions however the decision rests within the college administration.
- Post-Metric Scholarship
- BC/ MBC/ DNC Scholarship
- Central Sector Scheme Scholarship
- Indian Oil Corporate Scholarship
- National Talent Search Scheme Scholarship
- Central Board of Secondary Education Scholarship.
- National Foundation for Teachers Scholarship
Read more: Thanjavur Medical College Scholarships
Thanjavur Medical College Facilities
The college offers excellent infrastructure and various facilities for all-round development of the students. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Hostels - The College has a total of 8 hostels including boys’ and girls’ hostel. The capacity for UG is 591 students, and PG is 162. If students choose to do their rotational internship in the hospitals affiliated to the college, there are 158 seats available in hostels for them.
- Sports - There are a basketball, volleyball and football court, cricket, tennis and badminton ground. Area for 400m track races, high jumps, and a separate gymnasium is also present.
- Library – The College Library is under the control of the Library committee nominated by the Dean from the teaching staff of the college. It has a total of 32740 books and seating for 75 people
Read more: Thanjavur Medical College Hostel
Ques: Does the college provide Hostel accommodations?
Ans: Yes. The college has a total of 8 hostels including boys’ and girls’ hostel. The capacity for UG is 591 students, and PG is 162. If students choose to do their rotational internship in the hospitals affiliated to the college, there are 158 seats available in hostels for them.
Ques: Does TMC, Thanjavur provide any super-speciality courses?
Ans: The college has super speciality courses for Plastic surgery, Paediatrics Surgery, Neurosurgery and Neurology.
Ques: Can I change my personal details after registering for NEET?
Ans: You can change your personal details in the correction window released by NEET, however, your registered email ID and phone number cannot be changed.
Ques: How many hospitals are affiliated to the college?
Ans. Currently, the college has two hospitals under its affiliation, namely, the Thanjavur Medical College Hospital (TMCH) and the Government Raja Mirasudar Hospital (RMH). These are present on the same campus as the college. A new Hospital is currently under construction which will be the largest in the campus.
Ques: Can I choose to do my rotational internship in any hospital of my choice?
Ans: Yes, it is not necessary to carry out your CRRI in the affiliated hospitals. Candidates can apply for admission to any hospital as an intern and then notify their college and faculty of the same.
Ques: What are the general cases the hospitals deal with?
Ans: 90% of the cases admitted are related to trauma. The hospital also has departments of Medical Gastroenterology, Surgical Gastroenterology, Thoracic Medicine, Oto-Rhino-Laryngology (ENT), Cardiology, Cardio Thoracic Medicine, Neuro Surgery, Neurology, Urology, Nephrology, along with a casualty block, laboratories and outpatient wards. A total of 300 research beds are available.