Sited within the Southern part of India, R L Institute of Nautical Sciences is one among the most significant maritime institutes, with over 800 students on roll, dedicated to delivering high-quality maritime services to the shipping and marine industry. The Institute was established in 1999 in Madurai, Tamil Nadu and also has been Approved by the Directorate General of Shipping, India. It is also the off-campus center of Birla Institute of Technology & Science Pilani.
With 80 acres of large green campus, the RLINS has highly equipped infrastructure which includes a laboratory, library, auditorium, cafeteria, sports, computer labs with high-speed internet, a hostel for 800 students, single room accommodation for all, an in-house hostel etc.
The Institute offers 6 courses across two streams.
One of the largest maritime institutes present in the country, with highly professional faculty and international standard of equipment and training which results in producing the fine maritime cadets ready for the shipping and maritime industry.
The institute is ISO recognized (9001-2008) and was stated “very good” by CRISIL.
R L Institute of Nautical Sciences, Madurai: Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1999 | Private|
|Courses Offered||6 courses ( across two streams), (Bachelor of Technology & Certificate)|
|Website | Contact||http://rlins.edu.in/ | +919894007317 / +919489007317 / +917397788618|
|Facilities Available||Labs, library, gym. Hostel, cafeteria, modern shipping equipment.|
R L Institute of Nautical Sciences, Madurai: Courses Offered
|Electro-Technical Officer (ETO)||Eligibility- Any student passed in intermediate(10+2) with PCM discipline and English with at least 50%|
|B. Tech. in Marine Engineering||Eligibility- Any student passed in intermediate(10+2) with PCM & English as mandatory subjects with at least 60% in PCM.
And candidates must have scored at least 50% marks in English either in X or XII.
Incase of SC\ST 5% relaxation in eligibility marks will not apply to English. Age- a minimum of 17 - maximum 25
|Orientation Course for Catering Personnel (OCCP)||Eligibility- 12th Mandatory subject- English Minimum Eligibility- 40%|
|Basic Training for Oil & Chemical Tanker Cargo Operations (OCTCO)||Eligibility- As per STCW codebook these four basic courses are mandatory 1.Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF) 2.Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR) 3.Personal Survival Techniques (PST) 4.Elementary First Aid (EFA) NOTE: INDORE certificate is mandatory. Medical- Exams conducted by the doctors approved by the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS).|
|B. Tech. in Marine Engineering ( Lateral Entry)||Eligibility- age(min) 18 years - age(max) 25 years. Candidates must have completed a 3-year diploma in Marine/Mechanical/Electrical/Electrical & Electronics Engineering with at least 55% or a 4-year diploma in Shipbuilding Engineering from any institute approved by AICTE.
Candidates must have scored at least 50% marks in English either in X or XII. Medical- Exams conducted by the doctors approved by the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS).
|Graduate Marine Engineering (GME)||Eligibility- 50% marks in graduation (Degree in all mechanical engineering streams) from any AICTE recognized Institute.
Candidates must have scored at least 50% marks in English either in X or XII.
R L Institute of Nautical Sciences, Madurai: Admission
Selection Criteria For B.Tech
It is mandatory to pass the Common Entrance Test of Indian Maritime University(IMU-CET) to get admission in RLINS.
How to Apply?
- Candidates need to visit the official website of the College.
- Click on the ‘Admission 2021’ option on the upper right corner.
- Candidates must fill-in the application form with details like DOB, Name, Address etc.
- Next, they should pay Rs 10,000 to lock the seat.
The fee can be paid by any bank via NEFT:
Name of beneficiary: R.L. Institute of Nautical Sciences
Name & address of college beneficiary’s bank: City Union Bank, 82A , Tamil Sangam Road, Madurai- 625001
Account No. : 027109000119084
IFSC Code: CIUB0000027
After making payment through NEFT, the banker will give you a Unique Transaction Reference called UTR Number. This UTR Number must be furnished by the candidate in the online application form.
- After verification of the documents, RLINS will contact the candidates to send the original documents by speed post or submit in-person.
- On receipt of original documents, the Institute will upload the details in IMU Portal. A personal messenger of RLINS will submit the hard copy of original documents to IMU verification team at the verification centre.
- After the successful verification of the originals, IMU provides Registration Number for each candidate, andConfirmed admission letter is issued to the cadets by the Institute (RLINS) on obtaining the registration number provided by IMU alongwith receipt of First semester payment.
R L Institute of Nautical Sciences, Madurai: Scholarship
For B. Tech. Marine Engineering (4 years)
- Dr. Lakshmipathy Merit Scholarship :
- Candidates who have scored above 95% in 12th with PCM aggregate or are among the top 100 in IMU-CET, get Rs. 50,000\- in the first year.
- Candidates who have scored above 85% in 12th with PCM aggregate or are among the top 101-500 ranks in IMU-CET, get Rs. 25,000\- in the first year.
- Students who maintain 95% or above marks in their subsequent semesters ( III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) gets Rs. 25,000\-
- Students who maintain 85% or above marks in their subsequent semesters ( III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) gets Rs. 12,500\-
- Subbalakshmi Merit Scholarship :
Candidates who have scored 80% or more marks aggregate in all of their semesters without any hurdles get Rs. 5,000\-
- Shyamala Merit Scholarship :
Rank-I ( students who score maximum semester marks aggregate gets Rs. 5,000\- )
Rank-II (Students who score second most aggregate marks without any hurdle during semester gets INR 25,00\- )
Note: One scholarship can be availed by a candidate at a time.
Ques. Does R L Institute of Nautical Sciences (RLINS) provide placement?
Ans. Yes, RLINS provides 100% placement assistance. The Institute arranges on-campus facilities as well as skype facilities where companies may conduct presentations and interviews, and will also arrange overnight accommodation for company officials if required.
Ques. Is there any relaxation given to SC\ST candidates at RLINS?
Ans. Yes, SC\ST candidates get 5% relaxation in the Eligibility marks in B. Tech. in Marine Engineering. The relaxation is for 5 years maximum.
Ques. Is there any upper age limit for admission in B.Tech (Marine Engineering)
Ans. Yes, the maximum age to apply for the B.Tech in Marine Engineering is 25 years. The lower age limit on the other hand is 17 years.
Ques. Does eye-sight come under eligibility criteria for admission in B. Tech at RLINS?
Ans. Yes, eye-sight comes under eligibility criteria for admission in B. Tech, in Marine Engineering and should be- distance vision (unaided 0.5 *(6/12) in each eye or 0.67*(6/9) in better eye and 0.33 *(6/18) in another eye; and should be, No Color Blindness: Tested by Ishihara test chart.
Ques. Who are the top recruiters that visit RLINS?
Ans. Some of the companies that visit RLINS are Pacific International Lines, Seateam, XT shipping, and many others. 100% Placement assistance and opportunity are provided by the college but getting placed depends on how the cadet performs in the interview.