The Institute of Law, Nirma University, was established in 2007, in Ahmedabad, as a part of the Nirma Education and Research Foundation (NERF). The ILNU Ahmedabad offers a total of 4 programs such as B.A., LL.B. (Hons.), B.Com., LL.B. (Hons.), LL.M. and Doctoral Program. It has a sanctioned intake per year of 240 undergraduate students and 20 postgraduate students. Admissions to all courses are done on the basis of the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT), and admissions to the doctoral program is done on the basis of an Entrance Test conducted by the Institute. The college also releases an annual scholarship of INR 2.88 Crore.
There is also a Placement Cell of the Institute. Out of the 175 UG students graduating in the academic year 2018-19, 71 students got placements while 31 students were selected for higher studies. The median salary package of graduates was INR 6,00,000 (six lakhs only). The top recruiters of the Institute include HDFC Bank, Advani and Co., Adani, DSK Legal, Kotak Mahindra Bank, etc.
Institute of Law Nirma University Highlights
|Established | Type||2007 | Private|
|Approved by||UGC and Bar Council of India|
|Courses Offered||BA.LLB, B.Com. LL.B., L.L.M & Doctoral|
|Entrance Exams||CLAT and CLAT PG AIR|
|Top Recruiters||HDFC, Advani and Co., Adani, DSK Legal, Kotak Mahindra Bank|
|Official Website||https://law.nirmauni.ac.in/ | 079-71652803|
Institute of Law Nirma University Ranking
ILNU has a vast and long list of achievements and awards, won by the Institute, the Faculty and the students. This only signifies the stellar reputation and excellence of the Institute. Some of the accolades and awards of the institute are as listed below:
- It ranked 4th place in the Outlook i-CARE rankings for the top 50 private state institutions in 2019.
- It ranked #19 in the Week Rankings 2019.
- Eighth in Best Law College among the private law colleges in India, and Fourth in Best Private Law Colleges among the western zone in India, The Week, June 2018.
- 8th Best professional law colleges in India Outlook June 2018.
- Ranked 11th Best Private Law School in India 2017 by Outlook.
- The Legal Aid Clinic of the Institute of Law, Nirma University received the Award of Excellence for contribution in Social Justice and Legal Aid on June 23, 2018.
- It was selected as IP Campus of the Year (Legal) for its outstanding contribution in the field of Intellectual Property at the IP-Hall of Fame Honours, held on July 14, 2017.
- Institute of Law, Nirma University received the ‘Best Law Education Institute’ under Goodwill Brands Awards in the category of best legal education in the country on July 19, 2017.
- Its Library won the Best Library Award amongst all the libraries in the University on March 18, 2017.
- National Legal Awards 2015 for excellence in Industry Interface in Legal Education.
Institute of Law Nirma University Courses
ILNU offers a total of 4 programs: B.A., LL.B. (Hons.), B.Com., LL.B. (Hons.), LL.M. and Doctoral Program. It has a sanctioned intake per year of 240 undergraduate students and 20 postgraduate students.The details of the programs are as mentioned below:
Duration: 5 years
Eligibility: 10+2 with at least 45%
Specializations: Constitutional Law, Business Law, Criminal Law, And Intellectual Property Law.
Intake: 120 + 60*
Selection Criteria: CLAT AIR
Duration: 5 years
Eligibility: 10 + 2 with at least 45%
Specializations: Constitutional Law, Business Law, Criminal Law And Intellectual Property Law.
Selection Criteria: CLAT AIR
Duration: 1 year
Eligibility: LLB with 55% aggregate
Specializations: Constitutional and Administrative Law, Criminal and Security Law
Selection Criteria: CLAT PG AIR
Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: LLM with 55% aggregate
Specializations: Constitutional Law, Environmental Law, and allied areas, Banking Law, and Criminal Law and General Laws
Intake: 5 (tentative)
Selection Criteria: Entrance Test + Interview
Read More: ILNU Fees
Institute of Law Nirma University Admissions
Admissions to BA. LLB (Hons), B.Com LLB (Hons) and LLM programs are done solely on the basis of merit achieved in the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT). Admissions to the Doctoral program is done on the basis of an Entrance Test.
How to apply?
- The application process for UG courses is in online mode whereas the application process for LLM program is in offline mode.
- Candidates applying to the UG courses need to create a login account in the college website and then fill the online application form.
- The application fee is INR 2000 for the General Category and INR 3000 for NRI/NRI Sponsored Category.
- The application fee can be paid through Credit/Debit Card or Net Banking method.
- Candidates applying to the L.L.M. programmes need to download the application form available at the website.
- The filled in application form along with a DD of INR 2000 drawn in favour of ‘Institute of Law, Nirma University’ payable at Ahmedabad needs to be sent to the campus via post.
- Candidates will be informed about the counselling schedule via email.
Read More: ILNU Admission
Institute of Law Nirma University Placements
The Placement model is a four stage process involving the Pre Placement activities, Career Guidance, Executing Placement and Post Placement reviews. The students are placed with lawyers working in Supreme Court, High Courts, Trial Court and various leading Law firms. Along with assisting students in exploring placement opportunities through campus recruitment, the institute also offers internship projects at the end of every semester.
For the batch of 2014 to 2019, a total of 101 students registered for placements, out of which 37 dropped out due to higher studies and Litigation practice. A total of 64 students actively participated out of which 48 students received placements. The highest salary package was INR 14 LPA, while the median salary package was INR 6.5 LPA.
The recruiters of 2019 are mentioned below:
|Chir Amrit||Adani Green Energy Ltd||Privy Legal|
|The Law Point||Anoma Legal||Trans India Law Associates|
|Raval & Trivedi Associates||Quod Verum Associates||Media Solace|
|Pioneer Legal||Dhuparr and Associates||Sujata Chaudhari IP|
|Maulik Nanavaty and associates||Legal Assistant, High Court of Gujarat||ALG India Law Offices, LLP, New Delhi|
|Pramata Knowledge Solutions, Bangalore.||Lakshmikumaran & Sridhan Attorneys, Delhi||Lex Consultant|
|Chamber of Adv. Sheetal Mirdha, Additional Advocate General,Jaipur.||Justice G. S Singhvi, Judge Supreme Court of India (Retd.)||Chamber of Justice S Nagamuthu, Supreme Court of India, (Retd)|
Institute of Law Nirma University Scholarships
The fees of the college are admittedly on the higher side, since it is a private university and the facilities are to be maintained by the institution. However, the institution does provide scholarships for meritorious candidates to extend financial assistance to bright students from the weaker sections of society. These scholarships, however, can be availed only by students of the five year integrated programmes.
Eligible Students are advised to obtain the Merit Cum Means Scholarship Application Forms, along with the format of Guardians’ Income Certificate as applicable according to their guardians’ occupation by downloading from the Institute Website. The applicant is also required to submit Electricity Bill/ Telephone Bill/ gas Bill of their permanent Residence (as applicable).
Institute of Law Nirma University Facilities
The facilities provided by the institute include:
- Air-conditioned theatre classrooms & Smart Classroom with advanced teaching aids
- State-of-the-Art Moot court with all modern experiential learning facilities and extensive Moot Court Training from the first year
- Rich air-conditioned learning resource centre with all advanced online legal databases.
- Transport facility is provided to students from their residence to the Institute and back. For this, the University has its fleet of buses with pre-decided routes
- A branch of Kalupur Commercial Co-operative Bank for the benefit of the students and staff members has been provided on the University campus
- Sports grounds for Cricket, Volleyball and Football are available on the campus. Students can also play indoor games such as table tennis, chess, carrom etc.
- Gymnasium with modern equipment is in place for both the students and the staff.
- Students store available on the campus for all essential stationery items
- Canteens and cafeterias are available on the campus
- Yoga Hall
- Hostel for undergraduate students
Institute of Law Nirma University Faculty
The institute has a total of 51 faculty members who are specialized in their relevant field with 19 of them having Ph.D. degrees in the respective disciplines. The members are currently working on the following posts:
- Associate Professor: 3
- Assistant professor: 41
- Teaching Research Associate: 2
- Adjunct Professor: 2
- Adjunct Faculty: 1
- Lecturer: 1
Read More: ILNU Faculty
The College seems to be an excellent choice for aspiring Law Students, especially who are not able to get into the Higher NLUs. This private institution is one that competes with those government colleges too. The facilities of the college are excellent, as is the faculty. The reviews from the students of the college are nothing less than excellent.
Institute of Law Nirma University FAQ
Ques. What are the important dates for CLAT 2020?
Ans. The important dates for CLAT 2020 are as follows:
|CLAT 2020 notification||First week of December 2019|
|CLAT registrations start date||January 1, 2020|
|CLAT registrations end date||July 1, 2020|
|Last date of fee payment and form submission (registered candidates only)||To be notified|
|CLAT admit cards release date||To be notified|
|CLAT exam date||To be notified|
|CLAT result announcement||To be notified|
Ques. What is the basis of selection to doctoral programmes?
Ans. Candidates qualifying the Entrance Test, or being automatically qualified will be called for an interview. The following criteria will be judged at the interview:
- Whether the candidate possesses the competence for the proposed research;
- Whether the research work can be suitably undertaken at the Institution;
- Whether the proposed area of research can contribute to new/additional knowledge.
The final selection will be based on 70% weightage to entrance test and 30% weightage to interview. In this respect, students automatically qualifying for the interview will be given the same marks in the Entrance Exam as the highest marks received.
Ques. What are the fellowships granted in doctoral programs?
Ans. Full-Time Candidates in Faculty of Law will be given a fellowship of INR 18600 for first two years and INR 21700 for third year. This is, however, likely to be revised.
Ques. What is moot court?
Ans. A moot court is a simulation of the court and advocacy. ILNU has a rich tradition of mooting and has sent teams nationally and internationally across prestigious moot court competitions such as Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Stetson International Environmental Moot Court Competition, Red Cross International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Moot, The Annual Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot. The Moot Court Hall with a seating capacity of 300 students also hosts the Annual Institute of Law Moot Court Competition, one of the institution’s flagship events.
Ques. Can books for AILET be used for CLAT?
Ans. Yes, the books recommended for the AILET exam can be used for preparing for CLAT. The only difference between the examinations are the pattern and the conducting bodies. NLU Delhi is the conducting body of AILET, whereas, 19 NLUs hold CLAT on a rotational basis.