Latest Updates: The notice and seat matrix for stray vacancies has been declared on January 5, 2021 on the official website of MCC. The tentative vacancy positions for 7.5% reservation for MBBS/ BDS courses in Tamil Nadu NEET UG counselling has been announced on January 3, 2021.
Government Medical College (GMC) Omandurar was founded in 2015 and is commonly known as GMC Omandurar. It is the first institute in Chennai district which offers MBBS and PG Diploma courses for the students. Admissions are secured with respect to marks scored by candidates in NEET exam.
GMC Omandurar provides medical treatment and undergraduate and postgraduate diploma courses throughout several specializations. The college offers a plethora of facilities which include Hostel, Sports complex, Auditorium, Transport and medical facilities.
Government Medical College, Omandurar Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||2015 | Government|
|Affiliated to||The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai|
|Recognized by||Medical Council of India (MCI)|
|Set by||Government of Tamil Nadu|
|Entrance Exam||NEET UG|
|Courses Offered||MBBS, DMLT, Diploma|
|Admission Criteria||Merit & Entrance based|
|Facilities Available||Hostels, Canteen, Sports corner, Transport|
|Official Website||GMC, Omandurar|
Government Medical College, Omandurar Courses Offered
|MBBS||-||5 years||Candidates must have passed 10+2 with English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology as compulsory subjects with at least 60% aggregate marks. Candidates who have passed B.Sc with Physics, Chemistry, Biology are also eligible||NEET UG|
|PG Diploma||Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT)||2 years||Candidates must be a graduate in relevant science disciplines||Common Entrance Test|
|Operation Theatre Technology|
Government Medical College, Omandurar Admissions
Candidates seeking admissions to Government Medical College (GMC), Omandurar will be granted admissions to MBBS program on the basis of the candidate’s merit in NEET UG entrance exam. Seats are also reserved for students as per the university and state government norms.
How to apply?
Students who wish to apply to Government Medical College, Omandurar can apply through the All India NEET UG counselling and/ or the Tamil Nadu NEET UG counselling after the publication of NEET results. Candidates can follow the steps given below for All India NEET UG counselling:
- Candidates need to visit the official NEET UG counselling website.
- Applicants are required to fill in all the necessary details such as name, address, date of birth and education details accurately.
- Applicants can choose the available courses and colleges based on their rank and score.
- After successfully making the choices, candidates need to lock in their preferences.
- The seat allotment results will be published based on the candidate’s choices and available vacancies. Allotment is done on a merit basis.
- The candidates who are allotted a seat in a particular round will need to download the allotment letter and report to the college for completion of the admission process.
- Candidates who want to participate in subsequent allotment rounds may do so after rejecting the given allotment and repeat the procedure for drilling the choices in the next round.
- MCC/ TN Provisional Allotment Letter.
- Acknowledgement form with the university seat number.
- NEET Admit Card issued by NTA-2020
- Score Card/ Rank Letter issued by CBSE (NTA-2020)
- 10th/ SSLC Standard marks Card
- Marks Card of 10+2
- Transfer Certificate/ School Leaving/ Migration Certificate (if applicable)
- Two recent passport-sizes colored photographs
- Fee remittance copy/ acknowledgement/ Demand Drafts
- Photo Copy of PAN CARD (Candidate & Parent) for Indian Residents
- Copy of Aadhaar Card Compulsory for Indian Residents
- Caste certificate (in English version)
- Certificate of Domicile
Government Medical College, Omandurar Scholarships
GMC, Omandurar does not offer any scholarships for the students. However, students can avail scholarships provided by the Tamil Nadu government for different categories of students.
- Free Education Post Matric Scholarships: This scholarship is available to students belonging to state listed backward classes from rural districts and amounts to INR 1,00,000.
- Anna Award: Scholarship is available to 10+2 district toppers on the basis of merit.
- Chief Minister's Public Relief Fund: Scholarship is available to students belonging to families below the poverty line.
- Merit Based Scholarships: The Tamil Nadu government provides numerous scholarships such as the Chief Minister Award, Intelligence Prize Award and the Rajiv Gandhi and Annai Sathya Endowment on the basis of 10+2 results.
- Shree Vijayalakshmi Trust: Scholarship is available to students having an annual family income as listed by the Trust guidelines.
Government Medical College, Omandurar Facilities
Government Medical College, Omandurar offers a plethora of facilities that cater to the needs of students. Some of them are:
- Hostel: Omandurar Medical College provides the separate hostel accommodation facilities for boys and girls. The hostel is attached with the mess facility that can be availed by the students.
- Laundry Facilities and Maintenance: Omandurar Government Medical College is maintained by the CSSD (Central Sterile Supply Department) which also provides Laundry Services. The laundry and cleaning services include Autoclaves, Electrical, and Steam Industrial – Grade Washing Machines, Rollers and Driers.
- Canteen: Amma Canteen provides clean, hygienic Food and low- priced food for the visiting Patients, their Attendees and students as well.
- Medical Facilities: Omandurar Medical College has its own hospital wing which also provides medical facilities to students.
Government Medical College, Omandurar Faculty
Omandurar Medical College has 21 departments which include 180 faculty members comprising highly- qualified professors, assistant professors and tutors. The college also has a unit wise faculty chair for the General Medical department, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Pediatrics and the Department of General Surgery. The college also has 64 paramedical staff and 18 technical assistants. Some of them are:
- Dr. Senthamilselvi: Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy
- Dr. Shanmugapriya: Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry
- Dr. D. Anuradha: Professor, Department of Paediatrics
- Dr. S. Suresh: Professor, Department of General Surgery
- Dr. Shantha Ravisankar: Professor, Department of Pathology
Government Medical College, Omandurar FAQs
Ques. When is the application form for Omandurar Government Medical College released?
Ans. Omandurar Medical College does not have its own admission process. Interested applicants need to apply for the college through MCC or Tamil Nadu NEET UG counselling. The counselling process is open right after the declaration of NEET results, which is in the month of April- May. Candidates can apply for PG Diploma courses on the basis of merit of last qualifying examinations.
Ques. Is NEET compulsory for admissions to Diploma courses of Omandurar Government Medical College? How many specializations are available for PG Diploma?
Ans. Candidates applying for PG Diploma and Technician courses do not need to apply for NEET. However, candidates do need to appear for the common entrance examination for the said courses as per the university norms. PG Diploma courses are offered in 4 different specializations namely:
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT)
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
- Diploma in Anesthesia
- Diploma in Orthopedics Technician
Ques. How is the research sphere at Omandurar Government Medical College?
Ans. Omandurar Medical College has prominent research facilities available for interested students under guidance. Some of the research projects carried out include Analysis of the section of Bacterial Infections causing UTI, correlative study between hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syn in females of reproductive age group between 19-35 years and Methods adopted and beauties in spacing.
Ques. What is the seat matrix of MBBS and PG Diploma courses of Omandurar Government Medical College?
Ans. The seat matrix of the courses offered by Omandurar Government Medical College is as follows:
|MBBS||-||85 (State Government)|
|15 (All India Quota)|
|PG Diploma||Theatre Technician||25|
|Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT)||50|