Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CIMAP) was founded in 1959 as the Central Indian Medicinal Plants Organisation (CIMPO) at Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. It is a leading aromatic plant research laboratory of CISR.). There are four research centres of this institute at Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pantnagar, and Purana. It offers a Ph.D. program across six specializations. Admissions will be granted on the basis of CSIR UGC-NET followed by an interview.
CIMAP Lucknow Highlights
|Affiliation||Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance + Interview|
|Exams Accepted||CSIR – NET, ICMR-NET, DBT-JRF, GPAT|
CIMAP Lucknow Courses
Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants offers Full-Time Ph.D. courses under 6 specializations. Following are the course highlights:
|Genetics & Plant Breeding|
Read more: CIMAP Lucknow Courses and Fees
CIMAP Lucknow Admission
The candidates who have a valid score in CSIR-UGC NET Exam/ DBT-JRF Exam/ ICMR-NET Exam/ GPAT or any other exam resulting in JRF/SRF fellowship tenable at CSIR-CIMAP are eligible for admission.
Selected students will be called for a personal interview
How to Apply?
- Candidates must fill the application form from the official website.
- A processing fee is to be paid in form of Demand Draft for INR 200/-(General) and INR 100/- (SC/ST/OBC/PH) in favor of the Director, Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Lucknow
- Attach the required self-attested documents with the filled-in form
- Submit the same to the institute
Read more: CIMAP Lucknow Admission
CIMAP Lucknow Facilities
The Central Institute of Medical and Aromatic Plants provide very good research facilities with advanced equipment.
- Biology Central Facility – It is well equipped with advanced instruments like Automated Capillary genetic analyzer, Real-Time PCR, Ultracentrifuge, etc. a repository for microbial cultures has also been established where various microbial cultures from different scientist and departments are being collected and maintained. There are around 200 distinct microbial cultures available in the repository.
- Chemical Central Facility - It is well equipped with advanced instruments like GC, GC-MS, NMR, HPLC, LC-MS. The activities perform Qualitative and Quantitative identification of bioactive markers in various medicinal plants, essential oil. It also identifies the physical properties of essential oil, structural elucidation of natural product marker.
- Farms Services - It provides strengthening R&D base of MAP through field experiments and production of quality seeds and planting material of MAPs. Various types of crops are grown in the farm like Menthol Mint, Aloe, Tulsi, Opium Poppy, Scented Rose, Peppermint, Spearmint, Palmarosa, Lemongrass, Isabgol, Senna, Citronella, Vetiver, and Chamomile.
- Technology and Business Development (TBD) – This division has the prime objective of linking the Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (MAP) science with society. This division conduct awareness and dissemination campaigns on the cultivation and processing of MAPs, consultancy, Technical Service, Technology licensing, a demo of MAPs cultivation, study economics of MAPs cultivation, and impact study of the adoption of improved varieties and agro-technology related to MAPs.
- Information and Communication – This department provides networking, mailing, and computer services at the institute. It is responsible for the up-gradation of mail, servers, DNS, DHCP, Router, backup, databases, Security.
- Project Monitoring and Evaluation – PME cell works as a central facility for project monitoring and evaluation of scientific and programs of the institute which includes Major lab Projects, headquarters controlled projects, Supra Institutional Projects, Network Projects, Grant-in-Aid Projects, Consultancy Projects, Sponsored projects.
CIMAP Lucknow FAQs
Ques. Is CIMAP Lucknow good?
Ans. Yes, it is a very good research institute with excellent academic and infrastructural facilities. The faculty staffs are highly educated and the laps are well-equipped for an excellent research environment.
Ques. What are the advantages of pursuing a Ph.D. from CIMAP Lucknow?
- All the labs have renowned scientists working on the current state of the art of their specializations. Hence you can find a good Ph.D. supervisor in those labs.
- They have the best experimental and theoretical facility available in India that you can use for your work and publish them in high impacted Journals.
- They have a lot of finance for the research so your work will not be hindered by the lack of funds.
- People, there have a lot of contacts in the industry and academics so after your Ph.D. they can arrange for you a far better job than you can find yourself.
Ques. Are the labs of CIMAP Lucknow the same as the IIT level?
Ans. CSIR labs are high-quality labs on their specified areas of research giving better research experience than most of the IITs could do in certain areas as they provide “real-time” research. IIT has better opportunities because of the better brand name.
Ques. How are the faculties at CIMAP Lucknow?
Ans. The faculties at the institute are highly experienced scientists who are capable of delivering deep knowledge in every topic. They are dedicated to provide excellent research education for a brighter career of the students.
Ques. How are the library facilities of CIMAP Lucknow?
Ans. The institute has a well-stocked library with a variety of books to cater to the requirements of Research scholars.