Cachar College, Silchar was established in 1960. It is a premier institute of higher learning in south Assam. It is affiliated under 2(f) and 12(b) of the UGC Act, 1956 and accredited with ‘B+’ Grade by NAAC. In 1966 Assam Govt. brought the College under the system of Deficit Grants-in- Aid. In 1981-82 academic session, the Science wing of the College was opened. And the wing received Govt. approval for Grants-in-Aid in 1990. Consequent on the inception of Assam University in 1994 and as per the new official arrangements, the Degree programmes of the college, hitherto affiliated to Gauhati University, came to be affiliated to the former. It is located in the heart of the city of Silchar on around 6 acre of land area.
Department of Physics
Department of Chemistry
Department of Botany
Department of Zoology
Department of Commerce
Department of English
Department of Hindi
Department of Economics
Department of History
Department of Political Science
Extra Curricular Activities
All the classrooms of the college are well furnished with all modern facilities
The college has a Central Library with about 20,303 books and a photocopier, audio-visual materials and Internet facility.
The College has a well furnished wet canteen which provide all the food items at reasonable rates.
The College has well-equipped hostel facilities for girls only with limited intake capacity.
The college has following student clubs -
SC/ST/OBC Student Scholarships
Economically Weaker Section Scholarships
Soumyajit Guha Merit Scholarship Awards