Xavier Institute of Communication - [XIC] is a unit of St Xaviers’ College Autonomous and was established in 1969. XIC Mumbai offers a total of 6 full-time PG diploma courses across various specialisations. The institute also offers various part-time certification courses on its campus too. Admission to the university is on the basis of the XIC Online Entrance Test (OET) and a personal/ skype interview.
XIC is known as one of the most highly esteemed colleges of the Xavier Group, and is extremely well-known for its Mass Communication and Media degrees and has been ranked 3rd by The Week and 5th by India Today for its Mass Communication program. Graduates from XIC are placed across agencies in Mumbai like Genesis Burson- Marsteller, MSL, Adfactors,etc.
Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1969 | Autonomous|
|Set by||The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India|
|Entrance Exam||Online Entrance Test (OET)|
|Courses Offered||PG Diploma and Certificate Courses|
|Popular Courses||PG Diploma Courses|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance based|
|Top Recruiters||Genesis Burson- Marsteller, MSL, Adfactors|
|Facilities Available||Media Resource Centre, Sound Studio, Auditoriums, Video Editing facilities|
|Official Website||XIC, Mumbai|
Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai Ranking/ Awards/ Achievements
Xavier Institute of Communication has yet again been ranked among the top 10 Mass Communication Institutes in India in 2020. Below tabulated are the highlights:
|Ranking Body/ Magazine||Rank||Year|
Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai Courses
|PG Diploma||Advanced Integrated Communication Program (Part time)||215 sessions (430 Hours)||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline; Work Experience of minimum 2 years in a non-staff function (executive/supervisor profiles preferred)||-|
|Journalism and Mass Communication||10 Months||Graduate degree in Arts, Science, Mass Media, Commerce or any professional course||OET followed by Skype Call/ Personal Interview|
|Public Relations and Corporate Communications|
|Advertising and Marketing Communication|
|Film, Television and Digital Video Production|
|Event Planning and Experiential Marketing|
|Certificate Course||Graphic Design||24 sessions||Graduation or Master’s degree|
|Announcing, Broadcasting, Compering, Dubbing and E Book Narration (ABCDE)||11-13 weeks (only on sundays)|
|Creative Writing||8 sessions|
|Public Speaking and Personality Enhancement||8 days|
|Radio Jockey||11 sessions|
|Media/ Human Relation Skills||-|
Read More: XIC Courses & Fees
Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai Admissions
Admissions at XIC, Mumbai is based on the Online Entrance Test (OET), also known as XIC OET, and a Personal interview. Due to the prevailing COVID-19 situation, OET is now held online for interested candidates, who can take the exam from home through Skype. The criteria is as follows:
- Candidates should be below 35 years of age.
- Graduate from an Institute that is recognised by the Government of the country.
- Meets the cutoff from OET and clears the Skype Interview round.
How to apply?
Interested candidates firstly need to register online the application mode for XIC Is completely through an online medium.
- Visit the official website of XIC and register yourself under the Admissions 2020-21 tab.
- Candidates need to fill in all the necessary details, and attach a scanned copy of the original documents, and attach their photograph, wherever asked in the form
- Registration for OET needs to be done, and make the necessary payment through a Credit card or Debit Card.
- Once the payment is successful, the institute sends the admit card for the exam via email.
- Upon selection on the basis of the OET, candidates need to appear for the personal interview.
- 10th and 12th Marksheet
- Graduation/ Degree Certificate
- Migration certificate
- Admit card of OET
- In case the candidate has not cleared his/her graduation yet, then marksheet of the second semester of the final year
- Passport size photographs
- Work Experience Certificate, if any
- Category certificate, if applicable
- Self-attested copies of all the documents
Read More: XIC Admissions
Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai Placements
XIC, Mumbai does not have a proper placement cell or committee in place. However, this in no way means that the students are stuck without finding any employment opportunities upon the completion of the program. XIC relies on its well-connected group of alums who work well to do agencies in and around Mumbai, who come back to the campus each year to hire worthy students.
Read More: XIC Placements
Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai Facilities
XIC provides excellence facilities to its students. The facilities provided are mentioned below:
- Professional media resource centre known as Cardinal Gracias Media Resource Centre (CGMRC) where a variety of books, audio books, and other materials and resources are available.
- Fully air conditioned, furnished and spacious sound studios: for the purpose of recording, dubbing, composing, etc.
- Video editing studio is also available to students for video recording and editing.
- Hire of space facility also provided to outsiders who are looking to rent one of the halls or the studios at XIC.
- Provision of college hostels with shared rooms occupancy.
- Cafeteria, wifi facilities and computer labs.
- Provision of medical facilities and sports complex offering various sports activities.
Read More: XIC Facilities
Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai FAQs
Ques. Can students from the science stream apply for the diploma program at Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai?
Ans. The eligibility criteria for admissions to the diploma program is that any candidate with bachelor’s degree in arts, science, commerce or any other relevant stream is eligible to apply. That means, the candidates from science stream are also eligible for diploma courses.
Ques. How do I prepare for the XIC OET and personal interview for admissions to Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai?
Ans. XIC OET is a mix of Objective and Subjective questions pertaining to English, Media, GK and Current Affairs. For the English section, be extremely thorough with your knowledge of phrases, grammar and comprehensive ability. The GK section is comparatively easier. Given this is a media college you must be well researched and updated with current affairs both national and international. Keep an update on the happenings in the world because in the subjective part of the test you may be asked to give your view and justify your answer. After clearing the OET you will be called for a GD round. You can probably YouTube GD tips and tricks.
Ques. How is the placement scenario at XIC, Mumbai for PR and Corporate Communication?
Ans. XIC's course for PR and Corporate Communication is by far the best and most recognised in the industry. The average package could vary between 18k - 40K upwards depending on previous relevant experience as well. The lecturers at XIC are all experts from the communications and marketing field and hence the curriculum and teaching methods are without doubt the best you will find
Ques. How is the GD-PI at Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai?
Ans. The GD topics are usually related to current issues like Pros and cons of Women Empowerment, The economic condition after the completion of two years of the Modi Government, IPL has polluted the cricketers, Is PR killing Advertising? etc. The next round i.e the final screening is the Personal Interview. The panelists ask about your family background and the Universal Interview Questions.