AME Mechanical (Aircraft Maintenance Engineering- Mechanical) is a stream of Aircraft maintenance engineering that focuses on the engineering, physics, and materials science principles to design, analyse, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems of an aircraft.
The Mechanical stream is a field that requires an understanding of the core areas of an aircraft such as the mechanics, dynamics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity of an aircraft.
Also Check: Top Aviation Colleges in India
It is a 2 year undergraduate program. Any candidate who has completed their class 12th exams from a recognised board with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as compulsory subjects, is eligible to apply.
Note: Some colleges also offer this course for a duration of 3-4 years.
The subjects that are taught during this course are basic aerodynamics, functions of machines, electronic fundamentals etc.
The average salary after AME Mechanical stream in India ranges from INR 15,000-20,000 per month.
Read More: AME Avionics
AME Mechanical: Highlights
|AME Mechanical Full Form||Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (Mechanical Stream)|
|AME Mechanical Course Duration||2 years|
|AME Mechanical Colleges||Star Aviation Academy, Indira Institute of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, Buddha Institute of Aviation Technology, Academy of Aerospace and Aviation, Academy of Aviation and Engineering|
|AME Mechanical Fees||INR 7,20,000 p.a|
|AME Mechanical Salary||INR 15,000-20,000 per month|
AME Mechanical: Top Colleges
The following colleges have been approved by the DGCA, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Government of India.
AME Mechanical: Admission Process
The candidates should keep in mind that the AME Mechanical Course is a unique engineering program. It is not similar to the other programs such as B.Tech or B.E.
The candidates who desire to pursue an AME Mechanical course need to follow the following admission process:
- Registration: Registration dates are announced well in advance by the institutes. A candidate needs to create an account with the basic details such as email-id, phone number, etc on the official web portal.
- Fill up details: The candidate then needs to fill up the application form with all the necessary details that are asked carefully. All details should be correct, authentic and duly checked as they cannot be changed after submission.
- Submit the documents: Scan and upload all required documents like mark sheets, reservation certificates etc. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only and must be within the size limits.
- Application fee: A non-refundable application fee is to be paid online during the submission of the application form through any preferable method that is accepted by the portal..
- Download the admit card: The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination. They are released well in advance by the online web portal.
- Examination: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past year papers and mock tests. The candidate must appear for the examination on the date announced by the institute.
- Results: Results are announced after a couple of weeks after the exam is conducted. If a candidate is successful and has qualified the entrance examination, they can move on to the next round prescribed.
- Counselling and admission: Counselling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations. The student now has only one step left that is to pay the fee and confirm their seat in the allotted or chosen college.
AME Mechanical: Eligibility Criteria
- Education: Candidate must have been passed from the senior secondary school (10+2) with the Science stream.
- Specialization: They must have compulsorily studied Physics, Chemistry and Maths in their senior secondary school.
- Age Limit: There is an age limit to apply for the AME Mechanical course. A candidate must be at least 16 years old and the maximum age limit is 28 years.
- Marks: Candidates must score at least 50% (45% for reserved categories) in their 10+2 qualifying exams.
- Entrance Exam: Candidate has to apply for the Common Entrance Test to be eligible for admission in any particular college.
- Fitness: Candidates must not be suffering from any diseases, colour blindness, night blindness or any physical disabilities, when applying for admission. Candidates who wear spectacles are allowed and must be physically fit.
AME Mechanical: Entrance Exams
Some of the most common and popular entrance exams for taking admission in the AME Mechanical program are:
- JEE AME: The Joint Entrance Exam for Aircraft Management Engineering, JEE AME is a national level scholarship admission exam for AME at the institutes approved by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA). In comparison to the Common Entrance Test, the JEE-AME is a scholarship exam. It can be given in both English or Hindi medium, as per a candidate and can be attempted thrice.
AME Mechanical: Documents required to fill the Application Form
The following documents are required by a candidate when filling the online application form:
- Scanned image of his/her Photograph in jpg format
- Copy of mark-sheets of X and XII (if passed already) examination, otherwise only of class X.
- Reservation Certificates, if applicable.
- EWS Certificate, if applicable.
- Some colleges also ask for a medical fitness certificate.
- Application Fee of INR 500-1000 will be asked at the end of filling the form. Payment can be made online from the given link .This fee is neither refundable nor transferable.
- Copy of the submitted application will be sent to your mail ID.
Note: The changes in information filled are allowed till final submission. No changes can be made after submission of form.
AME Mechanical: What is it All About?
- AME Mechanical stream involves the usage of science principles to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems.
- An AME Mechanical Engineer inspects, maintains and repairs the mechanical components of an aircraft.
- Studying AME Mechanical stream, candidates get well versed with the pre-flight checkings of aircraft systems to detect defective equipment in an aircraft to prevent their malfunction.
- The candidates are trained regarding the design, production, and operation of machinery involved in aircrafts.
Why should you study AME Mechanical?
- As a licenced course, a candidate can work anywhere around the country and even outside India as the licence is accepted throughout the globe.
- The candidate can opt for highly reputed government jobs, especially in the defense sector.
- The placement opportunities are extremely important as some of the top recruiting companies such as industries, airlines can grant you jobs.
AME Mechanical vs AME Avionics
|Parameter||AME Mechanical||AME Avionics|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Course Detail||It is a stream of Aircraft maintenance engineering that focuses on the engineering, physics, and materials science principles to design, analyse, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems of an aircraft.||The Avionics stream is a specialized field of Mechanical engineering itself. After pursuing avionics, an engineer deals with the navigation and electronic systems of an aircraft.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,00 onwards||INR 4,00,000 onwards|
AME Mechanical: Syllabus
The AME Mechanical syllabus includes subjects like Physics, chemistry, maths and the basic fundamentals of an aircraft body and the mechanics involved.
|SEMESTER I||SEMESTER II|
|Aviation Legislation||Aviation Legislation|
|Basic Aerodynamics||Human Factor|
|Maintenance Practices||Material & Hardware|
|SEMESTER III||SEMESTER IV|
|Maintenance Practices||Electrical Fundamentals|
|Material & Hardware||Turbine Engine Aeroplanes Structure|
|-||Gas Turbine Engine|
|SEMESTER V||SEMESTER VI|
|Turbine Engine Aeroplanes Structure||Gas Turbine Engine|
|Gas Turbine Engine||Propeller|
|Electronics Fundamentals||Digital Technique Electronic Instrument System|
AME Mechanical: Placement and Scope
The future of the AME Mechanical engineers is great in a country like India. The booming travel industry sets a good market for AME Mechanical Engineers. Some of the many working sectors after doing AME Mechanical are:
- Airlines: Airlines hire AME Mechanical Engineers to certify that their machines are fit to use and/or fly.
- Maintenance, Repair and Overhauls (MRO) industries: MRO companies hire licensed AME Mechanical Engineers to check the components of an aircraft such as Engines, gears etc.
- Aircraft Manufacturing Companies: Aircraft Manufacturing Companies deal in the manufacturing of aircrafts components like Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, etc. For maintaining and operating these engines, electronics systems and other components, AME Mechanical Engineer is hired.
- Aircraft Part Manufacturing Companies: Aircraft are made up of numerous parts. To manufacture those parts Aircraft Part Manufacturing Companies have builds. Aircraft Maintenance Engineers can analyse those parts and help them to build better ones.
- Flying Clubs: A flying club is an organization that provides its members with affordable access to aircraft. That aircraft needs to be maintained by a licensed AME Mechanical engineer.
- Government of India: Government Defence Forces also hire AME Mechanical Engineers for their aviation security forces.
Some of the top recruiting companies are as follows:
|Air Asia||Japan Airlines|
|Air Works||Singapore Airlines|
|Vistara||All Nipon Airways|
|Border Security Force||Cochin International Aviation Services|
|Eaton Aerospace||Etihad Airways|
|Go Air||Blue Dart Aviation Limited|
AME Mechanical Jobs
|Job Profile||Description||Average Salary|
|Aircraft Maintenance Engineer||An AME Mechanical Engineer will check the aircraft's engines, turbines etc||INR 4,00,000|
|Professors||Many aviation institutes hire AME Mechanical engineers as professors to teach the upcoming generation.||INR 3,00,000|
|Flying Club Instructors||There are numerous flying clubs that instruct and provide the necessary field training to interns.||INR 3,50,000|
|Government/ Defense Aircraft Maintenance Engineer||If an AME Mechanical Engineer is searching for a government sector job, then applying to the defense sector such as BSF etc, is the best option.||INR 4,00,000|
AME Mechanical: FAQs
Ques. Is there any scope of AME Mechanical in India?
Ans. Yes, there is a huge scope of AME Mechanical courses in India. An AME Mechanical Engineer is a vital person in the aviation industry.
Ques. Is the AME Mechanical course difficult?
Ans. The AME Mechanical course can be difficult at times as it deals with machines, aircrafts, engines etc. However, the difficulty level varies from student to student.
Ques. What is the full form of AME?
Ans. The AME is an Aircraft Maintenance Engineering degree. It is a licensed course of four years of duration. It offers a theory and practical exposure to students. Students have to specialize in aviation and mechanical stream for 2 years each.
Ques. What is the average salary of an AME Mechanical Engineer?
Ans. The annual salary of an AME Mechanical Engineer can range from INR 6 lakhs or above depending upon their work experience and qualifications.
Ques. Can an AME Mechanical graduate become a pilot?
Ans. Yes, an AME Mechanical graduate can easily become a pilot after giving the prescribed exam as an AME Mechanical graduate already has the prerequisite knowledge of aircrafts.
Ques. Is AME Mechanical a degree program like B.Tech?
Ans. No, an AME Mechanical is not an engineering degree program like B.Tech. It is a training program and after the completion, a student gets a licence instead of a degree.