Diploma in Marine Engineering is a full-time training course offered at various Engineering colleges in India.
The duration of Diploma in Marine Engineering ranges from 1 to 3 years, where the aspirants may complete the course in a maximum duration of three years. Most of the colleges do not have a semester system, although some colleges do follow the semester-system.
The aspirants seeking admission to the diploma in marine engineering must have completed their 10+2 or equivalent from a recognized institute/school. The admissions to diploma in marine engineering are done either on the basis of merit or via entrance examination, for example, VITEEE, BITSAT, and IMU-CET.
Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Coimbatore Marine College, and Sri Chakra Maritime College are some of the top colleges that offer diploma in marine engineering.
Diploma in Marine Engineering course is designed to train the students about shipping operations at sea. The course equips the students with Marine technology, Knowledge of Math, and IT skills.
The candidates after Diploma in Marine Engineering can expect jobs positions of Marine Engineer, Ship operator, Chief Marine Engineer, O.I.C of Engineering Watch, Marine Surveyor, Port Managers, Maritime Educators, Technical Superintendent, etc.
The average salary offered ranges from INR 4.5 lakhs to 6 lakhs.
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Course Highlights
|Full -Form||Diploma in Marine Engineering|
|Exam type||UG Diploma|
|Eligibility||10+2 in Science stream with compulsory subjects like Maths, Physics, Chemistry|
|Admission Process||Both Entrance and Merit based|
|Average Course fee||INR 50,000 to 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4.5 lakhs to 6 lakhs|
|Top Recruiting companies||Worley Parsons, Inland Waterways Authority of India, Global Maritech- Bokaro Steel Ltd., Coastal Marine Construction Engineering Limited etc.|
|Job Profile||Maritime Educators, Port Managers, Second Marine Engineer, O.I.C of Engineering Watch, Ship operator, Chief Marine Engineer, Marine Surveyor, Technical Superintendent etc.|
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
The applicants must ensure the below the mentioned eligibility criteria before applying for the diploma in marine engineering course.
- The candidates must have completed 10+2 or equivalent with compulsory subjects like Physics, Maths, Chemistry with at least 55% marks.
- The candidates must have completed 10+2 from a recognized institute/college.
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Admission Process
Admission to diploma programs depends on the institutes, and hence, the admission process differs from institute to institute.
- Some institutes offer admission based on the performance of candidates in the Entrance exam followed by an interview.
- While other institutes offer admissions based on the merit of academic performance in 10+2 or equivalent exams.
The candidates must have performed well in the 10+2 examination with science subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics to get admission in a Marine diploma engineering.
How to apply for a diploma in Marine Engineering course?
The aspirants can apply for a diploma in Marine Engineering Online.
- The eligible candidates need to visit the official website of the college/university.
- Go to the apply link for the diploma in Marine Engineering.
- Fill the application form as per the information required.
- Submit the documents required (Photo and Signature).
- Pay the application fees.
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Entrance Exams
- IMU-CET: stands for Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test. Indian Maritime University is a Central University established by the government of India. Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test is conducted to provide admission into Maritime Training Institutes (MTIs). MTIs are approved by the Director-General of Shipping.
- BITSAT: is an institution level entrance examination. It is conducted by BITS Pilani every year for the admission into various courses offered in Birla Institute of Technology and Science institutions.
- VITEEE: is an institution and national level entrance examination. It is conducted by the VIT University in Vellore for the admission into different courses offered by VITs across the country.
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Top Colleges
|College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees|
|Southern Academy of Maritime Studies||Chennai||INR 50,000 to 1 lakh|
|Coimbatore Marine College||Chennai||INR 3 lakhs|
|Sri Chakra Maritime College||Pondicherry||-|
|International Maritime Institute||Noida||INR 2.2 lakhs|
Why study this Course?
The aspirants willing to make a career in Engineering at sea and those who possess academic, and physical eligibility can help in achieving your goals.
- You have a lot of future career options that may provide extreme growth.
- The Marine Engineering jobs are available in both public and private sectors.
- The candidates holding a diploma in Marine Engineering can not only do jobs in India but also abroad.
The students learn all the required Marine Engineering skills to carry out the job responsibility with ease.
The students have a lot of career options, and also they can pursue further education after completing the diploma course, in case they do not want to do the job.
How to get Admission to a Good College?
- The aspirants seeking admission to Diploma in Marine Engineering college must meet the eligibility criteria set by institutes. As discussed above, the admission process to the diploma course varies from college to college. Hence, it is recommended to go through the eligibility criteria and admission process, documents required, entrance exam accepted.
- The students must check the colleges offering admissions to diploma courses based on the merit of 10+2 and the colleges offering admissions based on the Entrance exam.
- To get admission to a good college, the students should perform well in the Entrance exam, and they should have good percentage marks in 10+2 (Science).
- The aspirants who get selected for the diploma course should keep their documents ready for verification.
Diploma in Marine Engineering Course Advantage
- Diploma in Marine Engineering is a diploma course that equips the students with the Engineering skills required to manage the shipping operations at sea.
- The program is designed to produce quality maritime engineers who can deal with the engineering aspects of ships when in the harbor or the sea.
- It helps the prospective marine engineers to develop the acumen to understand how the parts of the ship such as ship propulsion work and how to deal with the issues arising in the ship to carry out smooth operations thus making them industry-ready.
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Course Comparison
A comparison made between Diploma in Marine Engineering and B.E. in Marine Engineering is provided in the table below.
|Course Name||Diploma in Marine Engineering||B.E. in Marine Engineering|
|Course duration||1 to 3 years||4 years|
|Placement||After passing written M.M.D. exam||Just after completing the course|
|Job profile||Management, Ship operations manager||Marine Engineering|
|Offered by||At a few colleges/institutes in India||Offered almost everywhere in India.|
|Avg. Salary||INR 4.5 lakhs to 6 lakhs||INR 6 lakhs to 9 lakhs|
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Course Syllabus
|General Physiology with Alcohol and Drug Prevention||Spherical Trigonometry|
|Analytical Geometry with Solid Geometry||Ship and Ships Routine|
|Ship Construction and Ship Stability||Aptitude for the Service|
|Engine Watch keeping, Engine Officers||Engineering Drawing|
|Marine Pollution and Prevention||Auxiliary Machinery|
|Mechanics and Hydromechanics||Plane Trigonometry|
|Marine Vocabulary and Terms||Marine Power Plant|
|Marine Power Plant and Diesel||Engineering Physics|
|Fuel Oils and Lubricants||Electro Technology|
|College Algebra||General Chemistry|
|Machine Shop||Integral Calculus|
|Heat Balance||Basic Safety|
Diploma in Marine Engineering Books and Study Materials
The students pursuing a diploma in Marine Engineering can make use of the books mentioned below for the preparation of exams.
- Marine Auxiliary Machinery – by H.D McGeorge
- Introduction to Marine Engineering –by D.A. Taylor
- Marine Boilers – by G.T.H Flanagan
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Jobs and Career Prospects
A diploma in Marine Engineering is a lucrative career option with many job opportunities and future growth. The candidates who have completed this diploma course have in-depth knowledge of ships at ports or harbors. These candidates get the skills to manage and handle the Maritime industry anywhere around the world.
Such individuals get jobs as Second Marine Engineer, O.I.C of Engineering Watch, Marine Surveyor, Port Managers, Maritime Educators, Ship operator, Chief Marine Engineer, Technical Superintendent, etc. The starting salary of the diploma is about INR 5,50,000 on average.
The candidates having Diploma in Marine Engineering have numerous job opportunities for them. And out of the many opportunities available, some of the most sought jobs are mentioned below.
|Job Positions||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Marine Engineer||A Marine Engineer designs, develops, installs, inspects the propulsion systems, engines, and other mechanical equipment of the ship.||INR 6 - 8 LPA|
|Marine Surveyor||He ascertains the condition of the ship’s hull, machinery, and equipment. This job involves frequent travel.||INR 3 - 5 LPA|
|Chief Marine Engineer||He is responsible for having all the machines and equipment machines in place before it starts.||INR 8 - 10 LPA|
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Top Recruiters
Marine Engineers work at engine production firms, shipping companies, navy, and design firms. The top Marine recruiting companies hire these candidates to deploy in the sea. Some of the famous recruiting companies are listed in the below table:
|SMEC Automation||American Cruise Lines|
|GE Shipping Co. Limited||Martinek Design|
|Engineering Pvt Ltd.||GMMCO Limited|
|Carnival Cruise Line||TMC Shipping|
Diploma in Marine Engineering: Future Scope
After completing the diploma course in Marine Engineering candidates have a lot of future scopes. They can join public as well as private jobs. They also have the option to pursue further education. If they join the job as a Marine Engineer or Marine surveyor after gaining marine engineering experience they can even get promoted to Chief Marine Engineer.
After completing the diploma course in Marine Engineering, the candidates get designated in various job roles like:
- Structural Engineer
- Submarine Designer
- Third Assistant Engineer
- Fourth Assistant Engineers
- Onshore Marine Coordinator
- Dock Engineer
- Marine Equipment Designers
- Trainee Marine Engineer
- Junior Marine Engineer
- Sales Engineers
- Engineering Managers
Diploma in Marine Engineering: FAQs
Ques. Can I pursue a Diploma in Marine Engineering after 10th class?
Ques. What is the difference between Marine Engineering and Naval Architects?
A Naval Architect is responsible for the ship design, including the form, structure, and stability of hulls.
Ques. Which are the other relevant Marine courses to the diploma in Marine Engineering?
- Diploma in Marine Engineering,
- B.E / B.Tech in Marine Engineering
- M.E / M.Tech in Marine Engineering
- M.Sc in Marine Geology
Ques. Are there any physical standards for pursuing a diploma in Marine Engineering?
Some of the institutes check these barriers while filling the application form, and hence, the applicants must check their physical standard before applying for the diploma in Marine Engineering.
Ques. How is Graduate Marine Engineering different from Diploma in Marine Engineering?
Ques. Why is IMU-CET conducted?
Ques. What are TMC Shipping and its role?
Ques. What are the different skills required in Marine Engineering?
Ques. Can students complete a diploma in Marine Engineering through distance abroad?
Ques. What is the fullform of PGDME?