Osnabruck University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Osnabrück University is a research-intensive institute that was founded in 1974 . One of the coveted names when seeking to study in Germany, the university is known for its broad range of research and interdisciplinary degree programmes in the areas like law , business administration , applied science .
The German Research Centre for Artificial Intelligence ohad set up a branch office at the University back in 2011.The European Legal Studies Institute at the University is one of Europe’s finest research facilities for comparative law and harmonization of law. Admissions at Osnabruck University for applicants across the globe are available in 2 semesters of summer and winter.
- 58th by Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) 2019-2020 (national rank)
- 1078 by Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) 2019-2020 (world rank)
- 1030 in Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) 2019-2020 research performance rank
- 201 by times higher education in European teaching 2018
|Cost of attendance||1500 EUR (approx)|
|Campus Housing Capacity||600 square metres|
|Student Retention Rate||98%|
Tel.: +49 541 969 7777
Campus and Accommodation
- The university has two campuses. The main building is the baroque castle located close to the city center . It is mainly used for open air cinema and concerts.
- The university has a botanical garden which is used for research and teaching located in Westerberg.
- The university has a large canteen for students to grab a cup of coffee or fill up their stomach during break time.
- It consists of a variety of clubs for its students such as sports centre , computer centre , library , myUOS , uniSHOP (for shopping).
- Every year the university is attended by around 11,000 students.
- The mathematical and natural sciences faculties are asko situated in Westerberg.
- Guest House-
- Osnabrück University provides student accommodation in Guest House that incorporates a part of 600 sq. meters and offers ten residences of varied sizes with an entire of 25 beds.
- The available options include 3 one-bed residences, 1 two-bed lodging, 4 three-bed residences and 2 four-bed residences.
- All residencies are clean and equipped with toilet and shower , net access , phone and Television . Also there is a laundry area inside the basement furnished with washer and a drier.
- The guest house has a gathering area for holding conferences.
- The special charm of a guest house is merely minutes far from the city center.
- Student Dormitory - There is a facility of dormitories within the campus for international students and also for students of exchange programs. Fully furnished rooms are available and the food is catered from the University Canteen (Mensa).
- Home-Stay - Students can also opt for flats or apartments sharing their space with fellow students. A residence permit is mandatory in this case.
- Osnabruck university offers 133 programs at three different levels , bachelor , master and doctorate.
- The popular majors among international students are cultural and social studies , masters of science and humanities.
- The university has a special program called Dual Major Bachelor’s Degree under which the students can opt for two disciplines simultaneously. Their streams of Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Law and Business Administration have a good reputation.
- They offer interdisciplinary fields of research in subjects like Migration Research, Cognitive Science, Early Modern Intercultural Studies and Environmental Systems Research.
- The university has a special short term program for international students and some English and german language courses as well.
- The university offers 2 master of science programs , one for physics and another one for nanosciences – molecules, cells and materials.
Osnabruck University Application process
How to apply?
Application Portal : Uni assist application portal. For the Bachelor's degree, international students can only apply for the winter semester.
Application Fee : not required
Basic Admission Requirements:
- German (DSH -1,2,3 levels )
- English proficiency test score required for economics, business administration and cognitive science
- German proficiency test score for all courses except for school of physics (Graduate courses)
- Secondary school diploma
- Graduation certificate
- Marksheets , copy of transcripts
- Proof of financial resources
- Letter of admission from german university
- Health insurance
- Residential permit
- Visa and a valid passport
- Passport size photo
Note that the minimum score requirements for language test vary from program to program therefore , Students are recommended to check the score requirement before applying for a particular program.
Osnabruck University Cost of Attendance
The cost of living in Germany when enrolled at the university is compiled for the ease of all the intention aspirants of the institute as follows:
- Semester fees: 366,33 EUR for the winter semester 2020/21
- Annual Tuition fee
|Taxation||3,000 EUR(two semesters)|
|Business Criminal Law||2,500 Euro (per academic year)|
- Living expenses
|Type Of Fee||Amount (In Euro) Per Month|
|Books, copies and other study materials||25 to 50 EUR|
|Food||75 to 130 EUR|
|Health insurance||110 EUR|
|Housing deposit||400 EUR|
|Rent||175 to 350 EUR|
|TOTAL||785 to 1040 EUR|
The institute provides a range of financial aid available as loans, credit and scholarships in Germany for international students aspiring for the university.
- Loans and credit:
- Education Loan
- KfW - Studienkredit – loan Applicable for international students who are married to a German citizen
- One-time interest-free bridge loan provided by Osnabrück Student Services
- Germany Scholarship- for students who are within the standard period of study and who have performed very well during their studies are eligible for funding.
- Lower Saxe Scholarship- for Students who are within the standard period of study and who have performed very well during their studies are eligible for funding.
- DAAD-(Grants for the completion of studies by the German tutorial Exchange Service) International students World Health Organization inside the ultimate section of their studies eligible for funding.
- BAfog - It is a fund for the needy. BAfog facilitates an individual student to take up subjects of his or her choice. One half of BAfog is a grant and the other half is an interest-free loan.
- Female Promotion Pool - Female students in the final stage of their PhD can opt for a completion grant by applying for it from the female promotion pool.
- Osnabrück University Alumni International offers former students, doctoral candidates and researchers information at and around the institute.
- Names of a few notable alumni
- CHRISTIAN WULFF- former president of germany
- PAUL ZIEMIAK- member of bundestag
- SUSANNE PREUSKER- german psychologist
International students can usually opt to work upto 120 full or 240 half days a year without a work permit. The university also offers students to work as a student assistant at the university itself
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
I wanted to pursue my masters from a university abroad to gain exposure to a new environment and different cultures and diversity. While surfing through various colleges, I came across Osnabruck University and after reading about it, I exactly knew that this is where I'll fit the best. I loved the university academic and placement history and also its huge alumni network which is very fruitful for a college. I applied via uni-assist to get into the college. The application fee was not required by the college.
Course Curriculum :
My course represents an attractive, highly topical training in terms of both research and practice. It allows students to develop a profile with extensive options. The curriculum is providing me enough knowledge to make a career in management positions in auditing, business consulting, and tax consulting professions as well as in business departments (accounting, controlling, finance, marketing) of larger companies.
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary