RWTH Aachen University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Situated very near to the Dutch and Belgian border, in Aachen, North Rhine-Westphalia, The legendary RWTH Aachen University is a public research university in Aachen, North Rhine-Westphalia built in 1870. Also known as 'Europastadt' or the City of Europe, Aachen is Germany's westernmost city and a major educational and professional hub with many research centers and international corporate groups. The university or ‘Königliche Rheinisch-Westphälische Polytechnische Schule’ completed its 150 years in 2020.
Students in bulk from over 138 countries chose this university to pursue higher studies in Germany, proving it to be a very multicultural and accepting place. Having a total base of about 45,000+ candidates, RWTH Aachen University offers 150 courses of study, out of which 16 are private courses.
With the main focus on Engineering and Technology, the university fosters interdisciplinary research in the areas of sustainable synthetic fuels, data mining, production technology, health, renewable resources, and mobility. The University is the largest employer in the region of Aachen with its large number of start-ups and businesses.
- QS World University 2021 Rankings placed RWTH Aachen University at #145 among the universities in the world and at #7 among those in Germany.
- The university received top results in the subjects of Computer Science and Industrial Engineering with Business Studies, according to WirtschaftsWoche Magazine.
- RWTH Aachen University was ranked #99 worldwide, while it was ranked at #8 among the Universities in Germany.
- In 2021, QS World University Rankings placed the university at #19 for Engineering (Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing (by subject) and #44 in engineering and technology
|University Type||Public and Research|
|Location||Aachen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany|
|Total Number of Faculty||550 Professors, 5,828 other academic staff|
|Total Number of Programs||150, 16 are private courses|
|Total Number of Students||47,173|
|Total Number of Faculties||9|
|Annual Budget (2019)||EUR 1,036 Million + 4,223 Million in external funding|
|German Proficiency Tests||TestDaF, DSH, Goethe Certificate|
|English Proficiency Tests||TOEFL, IELTS, CAE|
|Intake Seasons||Winter and Summer|
|Official Website||RWTH Aachen|
- RWTH Aachen University campus is located in Aachen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
- The city of Aachen is a beautiful place at the crossroads of three cultures of Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands, providing an ideal environment for creativity and research-based learning.
- The campus has all the facilities and has cafes, convenience stores, medical stores and restaurants in close proximity and well connected through public transport.
- The city is rich in tradition and has many distinctive linguistic and cultural features.
- Its proximity to Eifel, Ardennes, Maastricht, and Brussels attracts many international students who are seeking such diverse student life.
- The campus is among the largest in Germany with technology-oriented landscapes spread on an area of 800,000 sq meters.
- There are six clusters with more than 30 centers.
- RWTH does not own nor manages any student dorms and therefore cannot provide or guarantee any housing facilities.
- Due to limited places in RWTH Aachen guesthouses, international students are recommended to come early and arrange for their housing.
- There is no accommodation for doctoral candidates and guest researchers.
- It only has three guesthouses and thus necessary that you book them several months in advance.
- At RWTH, many student advising services are available to help new students find housing while studying in Germany.
- With more than 150 courses to study, the nine RWTH Aachen faculties offer a wide range of programs in fields like engineering sciences, natural sciences, geosciences, business and economics, humanities, and medical subjects.
- Like most German universities, programs at RWTH Aachen University are either open or restricted, for which the applicant needs to check that program’s page properly.
- However, medicine and dentistry are the two exceptions.
- Students must note that other courses of study with the Diplom and Staatsexamen degree can only be studied in higher core semesters.
- There are also some English-taught master's programs aimed to attract international students. These are typically four-semesters long.
- Popular programs include Applied Geophysics, Civil Engineering, Data Science, Physics and Transport Engineering & Mobility.
RWTH Aachen University Admission Process
The university attracts students from all over the world. Application requirements differ with programs, whether they are open or restricted and the medium they are offered in. A general outline of the process is given below for those interested in getting admitted at RWTH Aachen University.
Apply Online:- Online Application RWTH
Please note that for Master's study programs (Masters without NC), an application may be required for a background education review.
- All official transcripts of colleges and universities previously attended
- A copy of all transcripts translated in English or German
- Proof of the university entrance qualification.
- Tabular Resume
- Proof of German Language Proficiency (TestDaF, DSH, telc, Goethe Certificate)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency, for masters programs only (TOEFL, IELTS, CAE)
|Course of Study||Winter Semester||Summer Semester|
|Open-admission course of study||October 15||April 15|
|Restricted-admission course of study (NC)||August 26||January 21|
RWTH Aachen University Cost of Attendance
- RWTH Aachen does not charge any tuition fees from international students.
- It is estimated that a single student studying at RWTH Aachen will need around 1000 EUR a month to meet basic living expenses.
- The social contribution fee for the Summer semester 2021 is 299,78 EUR
|Accommodation and associated costs like electricity, heat, water, and Internet||470 euros|
|Food and General expenses||400 euros|
|Health Insurance||95 euros|
|University fees||50 euros per month|
|Book and Materials||80 euros|
- Approximately 10,236 EUR is required annually to manage all expenses while studying in Germany.
RWTH Aachen University Financial Aid
- Sources for funding are limited at RWTH and it is suggested that international students seek help to fund studying in Germany through other sources.
- RWTH University provides a large number of scholarships through its funding programs to the students. Some of the scholarships are-
|Scholarship Name||Amount/Benefits (EUR)||Eligibility||Duration|
|DAAD program STIBET III Matching Funds||500/month||Must be enrolled in a degree program at RWTH Aachen and have foreign citizenship and have earned their university entrance qualification abroad (Bildungsausländer)||5 months|
|UNITECH International||Participation in the program is free once the student is selected. Travel expenses will be covered up to around 1000 euros.||
The ones in Master’s or at the end of their Bachelor’s Degree
|At least 1 year|
|IDEA League Scholarships||Tuition scholarships worth 7,600
Comprehensive scholarships worth 12,000 EUR
|Joint Master in Applied Geophysics course of study||Distributed over a period of 2 years|
- There are also options of work-study and internships. Taking up full-time work for 120 days or half-day (4 hours/day) for 240 days will depend on the regulations.
- Allowances, which are short-term grants for those facing financial hardships are offered as well.
There are a few scholarships provided by The RWTH Aachen University to assist students financially. A few are mentioned below-
RWTH IIT Madras Junior Research Fellowship
- Masters and Doctoral candidates from IIT Madras
- Masters and Doctoral candidates from RWTH Aachen University
- Amount and Funding Period
- 900 euros per month for up to 6 months (Master’s Students)
- 1250 euros per month for up to 6 months (Ph.D. Students)
After providing evidence of their greater need, single parents, as well as individuals with chronic illness or disabilities, can be awarded more funding.
DAAD Program STIBET III Matching Funds
- Must be enrolled in a degree program at RWTH Aachen and have foreign citizenship and have earned their university entrance qualification abroad (Bildungsausländer)
- Are in the final period of their studies
- Are living in Germany for this final period
- Can provide proof of a good average grade (at least 2.5)
- Will complete their degree in the next 12 months (from the start of funding)
- Amount and Funding Period
- 500 euros per month for up to 5 months
- RWTH students of engineering, science, physics, and biotechnology exhibiting outstanding academic performance and important soft skills
- The ones in Master’s or at the end of their Bachelor’s Degree
- Amount and Funding Period
- Participation in the program is free once the student is selected. Travel expenses will be covered up to around 1000 euros.
The students are to apply online and upload documents properly as mentioned on the website.
- All graduates, former employees, visiting researchers stay in touch through the worldwide alumni network of RWTH Aachen.
- Notable Alumni Include:
- Peter Debye: Nobel laureate in Chemistry, Dutch-American physicist.
- B.J. Habibie: Former President of Indonesia and a former Engineer
- Sonia Seymour Mikich: German TV journalist
- Franz Josef Och: German computer scientist, famous for being the chief architect of Google Translate
- Astrid M. Funderich: German actress
- RWTH Aachen graduates work for companies like Audi, Bosch, ARM, Broadcom, Cisco, Devolvo, Ericsson, Microsoft, and more.
- The Career Center provides various seminars and career training opportunities to help students enter the professional world.
- Many programs like the Femtec Career Building Program, job banks, bulletin boards, and personal advising on portfolios and application processes are available.
- Many in-campus placements are conducted at RWTH Aachen University.
- The salary range of RWTH Aachen University graduates is 55,000 EUR to 1,30,000 EUR as per Emolument. This vastly depends on their field and experience.
With a wide variety of study courses to choose from, RWTH Aachen University is one of the best choices of study abroad destinations for students desiring to acquire international education. Also, the low scale expenditure compared to other countries makes admission easier for candidates wanting to pursue higher studies in Germany.
Despite being an age-old university, it is always on the verge of expansion and growth to provide the best quality tuition for its students landing from different parts of the world. The RWTH Aachen University visibly stands tall in making individuals successful and ready to take up challenges of tomorrow that impact the global scenario.
Ques. What is the rankings of RWTH Aachen University?
Ans. According to the QS World University 2021 Rankings, RWTH Aachen University is placed at 145 and at 7 among the ones in Germany.
Ques. How many study programs are provided by RWTH Aachen University?
Ans. RWTH Aachen University provides more than 150 study programs out of which 16 are private.
Ques. Does RWTH Aachen University of Germany provide accommodation for foreign students?
Ans. No, the University does not provide any aid for accommodation.
Ques. Is there any other University that majors in Chemical Engineering apart from RWTH?
Ans. Technical University of Munich, Technische Universität Berlin, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology are a few apart from RWTH University providing study course in Chemical Engineering
Ques. With such a low acceptance rate, is it possible to get admitted to RWTH Aachen University?
Ans. Yes, with necessary requirements for the eligibility criteria, admission isn’t tough.
Ques. Does RWTH Aachen University give an option of availing scholarships?
Ans. Yes, the University does help students with financial aid and scholarship fundings. A few to name- DAAD, UNITECH International etc.
Ques. What is the total cost of attendance at RWTH Aachen University?
Ans. An Approximate of 10,236 EUR is required annually to manage all expenses while studying in Germany.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
|RWTH Aachen University||Technical University Munich|
|collegedunia score||5.9 Out of 10||6.2 Out of 10|
|ranking (overall)||# 107 Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 145 QS World University 2021
# 184 US News 2021
|# 41 Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 46 Times Higher Education 2021
# 50 QS World University 2021
|subject strength||# 30 for Engineering by Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 30 for Technology by Times Higher Education 2021
# 59 for Computer Science by Times Higher Education 2021
|# 14 for Computer Science by Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 24 for Engineering by Times Higher Education 2021
# 24 for Technology by Times Higher Education 2021
|programs||UG Programs -46|
PG Programs -94
|UG Programs -15|
PG Programs -47
Doctorate Programs -1
|exam score||IELTS - 7.5|
TOEFL - 107.5
GRE - 308
|GRE - 320|
GMAT - 700
IELTS - 7.5
TOEFL - 104
|cost to study||Average Tuition Fees 17042.55 USD|
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - 28578 USD Per Year
|Average Tuition Fees 144 USD|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees 144 USD
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - 23310 USD Per Year
|placement (average package)|
Graduate Employability Ranking 2020: 63; Top paying degrees with average annual salary are MBA: 193,000 USD, Master: 83,000 USD, MS: 76,000 USD, BS: 53,000 USD
Tie-ups with around 800 start-ups set up by alumni and faculty.
60% in previous degree; Statement of Purpose; Resume
Applications are invited through Uni-assist, German language proficiency is required for most UG program, GRE/GATE scores are required for some masters programs.
|campuses and b schools||RWTH Business School||NA|
|-||Read Full Comparison|
Application Portal : https://online.rwth-aachen.de/RWTHonline/ee/ui/ca2/app/desktop/#/login?$ctx=rbacId=
Winter Deadline Deadlines
Summer Deadline Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #251 - #300
View More >>
QS World University
RWTH Aachen is anonymous to some old IIT in India. It has an amazing infrastructure and is one of the biggest universities in Germany. Aachen itself has its city charm as it is a border city of 3 countries. As far as the data science program is concerned, the Godfather of process mining is the head of the PADS department here and it is a very rare and amazing opportunity to work in a field under the one who almost created it.
Course Curriculum :
Being a technical University, the research level here is pretty high. Even the education is tough.the syllabus is highly relevant to extensive research and a bit less to practical application, say a 60-40 ratio. Some courses are pretty easy to understand and fairly simple. But some of them are degree stoppers. especially the math here is awfully tough.
Rwth is considered of utmost reputation in the whole of Europe. And since mine is a dual course embedded in one degree I chose this course from this university
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is just what I wanted as it is the perfect blend of management and engineering
RWTH is the best University for research in Germany with the highest amount of funding. Moreover, RWTH is the best for Communications Engineering in Germany.
Course Curriculum :
Research based studies are extremely good. But professors mainly teach their own research and expect you to know the basics beforehand. German universities are not like US universities. Completing a Master's degree takes time (almost 3 years on average).
The ranking of this university in my subject which was Physics is 43 at that time. The reputation of that university is one of the main reason. My focus was on nanotechnology and Quantum technology and this institute has the best faculty for that. The city in which the college is situated is one of cheapest in Germany.
Course Curriculum :
My own course was very academic focused and was there to prepare the students for further research. However, there are professional courses but they are also very extensive and students have to be self aware of there studies.
One of my second cousins suggested me this university as he is an alumnus of this university. He gave me insights and told me how studying there will help me in the near future. I applied to the university online via their official website for which there was an application fee of € 100.
Course Curriculum :
Under this program, I am learning the technological basics and in-depth knowledge in the conception and the development of passenger cars and commercial vehicles, and optionally of motorcycles. Also, the program provides in-depth knowledge of industrial design approaches and research topics with regard to vehicle requirements, market developments, and legislative constraints.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary