Technical University Darmstadt: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Technical University Darmstadt, founded in 1877 is an autonomous institution of prominence in Germany. With engineering and natural sciences at the forefront of education, the university also offers humanities and social science courses. A total of 113 programs are available to candidates to choose from and every academic year about 25,170 students enroll themselves in these programs to fulfill their dream of studying in Germany . Out of the total students’ strength, 32% are females and 19% international students.
The university does not only excel in theoretical knowledge impartation but also promotes research studies. Admissions at Technical University Darmstadt are available in the 2 intakes of Fall and Summer. The institute does not charge any application fee from any of its aspirants and thus allows fair and equal chance to all at quality education. It is a renowned university in the country that can help its graduates land some of the high paying jobs in Germany after graduation with an average salary of around 100,000-133,000 EUR.
Technical University Darmstadt was ranked as the following by integral educational surveys-
- 67th rank amongst universities worldwide in 2019 by The Times Higher Education.
- Times Higher Education ranked TU Darmstadt 7th amongst all the German Universities in 2020.
- 68th rank for the department of computer science worldwide.
- 5th rank amongst German Universities in 2019 by Times Higher Education.
|College Type||Public College|
|Address||Darmstadt University of Technology Karolinenplatz 5 64289 Darmstadt|
|Total number of students||25,889|
Campus and Accommodation
- Technical University situated in the scientific city of Darmstadt has about 309 sq. meters of usable space and encapsulates five locations and 164 buildings.
- The two main campuses are at Stadtmitte and Lichtwiese, while the other smaller locations that are the botanical garden, university stadium and Wind Tunnel are spread across the city.
- Two major amenities for students are the University and State Library and University stadium. The library encompasses a wide range of academic and research material.
- Both self-government and student groups function on the campus of the university. These groups are concerned with various social, political or cultural activities.
- Technical University Darmstadt does not own student dormitories. Rather the university works in collaboration with other students’ accommodation facilities around the campus.
- The university however does help the students find accommodation by explaining to them the housing market and presenting the offers that the institute has received from various landlords. To seek this assistance one has to fill an online form.
- The estimate cost for different kinds of accommodations across Darmstadt are as follows-
|Types of accommodation||Rate per month|
|Private individual house||550 EUR|
|3-persons shared flat (excluding utilities, unfurnished)||380 EUR|
|Shared flat offered by Studierendenwerk||350 EUR|
|Flat considerably away from prime location of Darmstadt||300 EUR|
- One time deposit is generally expected while renting a flat. It’s like rental security and is handed back when the apartment is vacated in the original condition.
- Technical University Darmstadt offers bachelor's and master's courses for international students in the field of Engineering, Natural Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences. About 113 degree programs are available through which six degrees can be earned.
- Amongst the popularly chosen courses are Business Administration, Economics and Engineering.
- MSc in Business Administration/Industrial Engineering is an interdisciplinary program that combines parts of Business Administration and Law, and Engineering. German language proficiency is essential to this course.
- Master of Science is offered in multiple subjects such as Biology, Business Information Systems, Civil Engineering, Cognitive Science, etc. Very few MS courses, such as those in Mathematics, Material Science, Cognitive Science, etc. are taught in English, barring which all the courses need knowledge of German language.
- Apart from the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, Technical University Darmstadt also offers courses like Master of Education, Teaching at Secondary School, Complementary Studies, and Bachelor of Education that fall under teaching degrees and enable students to enter the teaching profession.
Technical University of Darmstadt Admission Process
Admission Portal: Online application
Admission Fee: NIL
Supporting Documents: Following documents play an important role in drafting an application at TU Darmstadt-
- Official transcripts. Transcripts must be translated either in English/German by approved translating agencies or evaluated by German Consulate and Embassy.
- Higher education certificate/ School leaving certificate
- German language scores
- English language scores
- University entrance test results
- Copy of passport
- Academic record showing list of subjects studied and performance in each subject.
- Financial guarantee proof
University of Darmstadt Cost of Attendance
- Technical University Darmstadt does not charge any tuition fee across all the programs offered.
- Semester and administration fee and payable by students. This amount must be paid in the name of TU Darmstadt and is subject to change every semester. Summer semester fee for 2020 is 270.47 EUR.
- The semester fee for Biomedical Engineering is usually higher than the other courses. For the summer 2020 semester, the fee was 367.99 EUR. About 30 EUR additional fees are charged from students who pay the fees after the proposed date.
- Approximate cost of living in Germany is 700-900 EUR and the breakdown is as follows-
|Expense type||Estimate rate (per month)|
|Resident permit for non-EU students||100 EUR for one year
110 EUR for more than one year
|Phone and Internet||35-50 EUR|
|Health Insurance||105 EUR|
- Candidates do not have many education funding opportunities at Technical University Darmstadt like scholarships in Germany for international students, but they can always contact the International Students Services office in case of financial emergencies.
- The Deutschlandstipendium offers financial coverage for a limited period of time. 300 EUR are given per month to talented and committed students.
- Also, an application can be drafted twice a year for financial funding during the final phase of studies by students. The university accepts applications between 1-15 April and 1-15 October.
- Apart from that students can find scholarships at the websites of DAAD, KISSWIN, Stipendienlotse, or BAFoG. BAFoG can be availed by international applicants only under specific conditions.
Technical University Darmstadt offers the associated alumni multiple benefits that are stated below-
- The opportunity to keep networking lifelong.
- Receiving newsletter to keep oneself updated about the important events of the university.
- Getting invites for alumni events.
- Accessing library/study material.
- Publishing jobs free of charge.
- Availing the job portal service.
- Ralf Steinmetz, German Computer Scientist
- Vikram Lal, Founder and former CEO of Eicher Motors.
- Ines Geipel, Former athlete and professor.
Technical University Darmstadt advertises job opportunities for student assistants in science and administration at TU job portal Stellenwerk. Being one of the largest training providers, TU lays emphasis on vocational training. The aim of proving this training is to brush a certain skill that’s required by the student for job placement or career advancement.
Students who fulfill the requirements can also apply for jobs at TU itself. Multiple job vacancies for university professors, research assistants, etc. are posted on the university website. Master of Science passouts receive the highest pay of approximately 100,000-133,000 EUR.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #301 - #350
RANKED #101 - #125
Computer Science (International)
RANKED #101 - #125
RANKED #251 - #300
QS World University
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Bus Station
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary