University of Kassel: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The University of Kassel is a public university located in Kassel, Germany. It was established in 1971. It has three nominations won by graduates and two academy awards or Oscars for making animated movies. The student to faculty ratio is 12:1. The university is home to around 25,000 students with over 3,400 international students making it one of the culturally diverse universities in Germany.
The University of Kassel provides expertise in the fields of technology, nature, society, and culture. It has networks all around the world and this internationalism plays a crucial role in both teaching and the courses offered at the university. It offers various programs to international students as well. In fact, the total percentage of international students is 12.3% who come from different countries around the globe to study in Germany. It also provides research in various focus areas such as nanostructure and molecular sciences, culture, and gender research, and more.
The University of Kassel has been listed among the top research performers as per the Center for World University list. Research is carried in the fields of Technical system simulation - Industrial system technology, Nanostructure, and molecular sciences, Educational research including university research, National and global social policy, and more.
University of Kassel Rankings
The University of Kassel is ranked by some of the most reputed agencies. A snapshot of the same is given below:
|#151-200 European Teaching Rank||Times Higher Education|
|#60 in National Rank||Center for World University Rankings|
|#908 in Best Global Universities||US News and World Report|
|#366 in Best Global Universities in Europe||US News and World Report|
|#55 in Best Global Universities in Germany||US News and World Report|
|#28 in Germany||UNI Rank|
|#405 in World||UNI Rank|
|Type of institute||Public|
|Programs offered||UG, PG, and doctorate.|
|Application fee||15 EUR|
|Language of instruction||German and English|
|Housing capacity||Over 1000 apartments|
|Financial aid||Scholarships, loans, prizes, and grants.|
Universitat Kassel Campus
- The University of Kassel has 8 campuses namely through which it offers education.
- Some of the facilities and services offered at the University of Kassel include the following:
- Library, which provides around 1.9 million volumes that include 30,000 global electronic media and periodicals. It is open to everyone in the area. The library collection also consists of thousands of manuscripts and other priceless books that can be looked at in the manuscript vault.
- Laboratories and auditoriums for the Faculty of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering.
- Training and physical education of future sports teachers of the university is provided.
- A 32-h hectare experimental farm for ecological agriculture.
- International Study Centre/ International Language Centre
- IT Service Centre
- Teaching Service Centre
- The university also offers a number of student support services like Admission Office, Citizens’ Office, Academic Advisory Services, etc.
- The university also has a student union (BDE) and ISARAMAP, an association that supports small farmers.
- There are a lot of shops available in and near the campus that provide organic and healthy foodstuffs.
- Furthermore, students can take part in various church services and enjoy activities such as university sports, fitness, swimming, etc.
- Students are also surrounded by culture as there are various museums like the Museum of Ethnology and a Tropical Greenhouse open for them.
Universitat Kassel Residence
- The two types of accommodation offered are Student halls- 16 in total and private facility including Hostels and flats.
- The University of Kassel offers more than 1000 apartments and rooms to its students.
- Both single rooms and single apartments are available that have a kitchenette (shared by two or three students) and bathroom included.
- All the halls have a common room which contains washing machines and dryers.
- All the rooms are completely furnished. They also have a television and telephone access to the students.
- Student hall Hegelsbergstrasse 22B does not include furnished rooms. Two students can live in a studio-type flat. These studios include telephone and cable services.
- Both furnished and unfurnished rooms are available in Student hall Hegelsbergstrasse 20/22/22A/24.
- Ph.D. students are given an option to stay at the International House in Kassel that is fully-furnished.
- All international students are required to apply for a Residence Permit at a local Foreigner's Registration Office ("Ausländerbehörde"). This needs to be done before the expiration of entry visas.
Universitat Kassel Programs
- The university offers some programs in English for all the international students.
- There are a total of 41 full-time courses offered to the students.
- These include 26 bachelor, 14 master as well as diploma courses. All the bachelor courses have a course duration of 3 years.
- Some of the popular bachelor courses include Bachelor of Science in Architecture, Civil Engineering, biology, electrical engineering, etc.
- Some of the popular postgraduate courses offered at the university include Master of Fine Arts, Master of Science in Electrical Communication Engineering, Master European Master of Business Studies, etc.
- The university offers only one diploma course, which is the Diploma of Product Design. It has a course duration of 4 years and is a full-time course.
- The University of Kassel offers various programs via its 7 schools of following faculties:
- Natural Sciences
- Urban Planning and Landscape Planning
- Fine Arts
- Social Sciences
- International agriculture and environmental protection.
Universitat Kassel Application Process
Application portal: All international applicants need to apply via the UNI-ASSIST admission portal.
Application fee: 15 EUR
|Summer semester||January 15|
|Winter semester||July 15|
|For art courses||April 30|
|Winter Semester||March 1|
|Summer semester||September 1|
|Summer Semester (restricted)||July 15|
- Transcripts of all the educational institutions previously attended by the applicant.
- Notarized copies of the applicant’s school leaving certificate need to be submitted.
- Tables of grades and certifications must also be accompanied.
- German language proficiency tests:
- DSH -2
- TestDaF level - 4
- English language certificates. The accepted tests are TOEFL and IELTS.
- reference letters and letters of motivation.
- Passport copies
- Financial verification
There is a separate entrance test held for Fine Arts, Visual Communication, and Product Design. All documents must be submitted in German translations.
Universitat Kassel Cost of Attendance
All applicants are required to pay their fees before the starting of each semester. The following table lists the latest semester fees and the estimated cost of living.
|Contributors||Amount in EUR|
|Winter semester 2020||293,451|
|Fine if semester fees is not paid on time||30,000|
|AStA ( Student Council)||1050|
|Cost of Living||300 per month (approximately)|
|Private Accommodation Fees||600 per month (approximately)|
Universitat Kassel Financial Aid
- All students who are regularly enrolled at the University of Kassel can apply for a Deutschlandstipendium, regardless of whether they are studying for a bachelor's, master's, teaching degree, diploma or an artistic degree
- Academic prizes, research funding, and cost subsidies are also available for students.
- Different types of financial aid or scholarships for international students in Germany offered at the University of Kassel are as follows:
- Otto-Braun Fund Young Artistic Scholarships: This is for six months and offers 3,000 EUR. Students of the Kassel School of Art and Design are eligible.
- Otto-Braun Fund Doctoral Scholarships: This is for one year and offers up to 6,000 EUR. Doctoral students who have been selected by the responsible Ph.D. committee will receive the benefits. The students must have submitted an application to be accepted as a doctoral candidate to the doctoral office. The age limit is generally 35 years.
- STIBET Scholarships for International PhD Candidates from Foreign Universities: This is for three months and offers 800 EUR. The applicant must have an invitation of a mentor or a supervising professor of The University of Kassel. They can submit a supporting letter as well. The application must be submitted by the mentoring professors only and not by the students themselves.
- Doctoral Scholarships at the University Kassel: This offers 1,100 EUR. All Ph.D. candidates of the university can apply if they are about to complete their doctorate.
- Teaching and Research Assistance: This is for four months and students are given a contract as a student assistant with 20 hours every month. International Ph.D. students, that is, who have a foreign nationality, are eligible. Students must have accepted as doctoral candidates.
- The central alumni network of the University of Kassel Alumni has a variety of decentralized alumni activities in the departments.
- The dean's offices and units for practical studies in the departments bring students into contact with alumni in practical and specialist lectures and practical fairs.
- Some of the alumni associations are as follows:
- ASSCO e.V.
- AuF BAU
- GFB e.V.
- Global Political Economy Alumni e.V.
- Herkules Racing Förderverband e.V.
- University Association Of Witzenhausen (HVW)
- JuristiK e.V.
- KAASL e.V.
- Economists 2.0
- University Society Kassel e.V.
- Additionally, alumni events also serve for personal exchange and social networking with colleagues.
Universitat Kassel Placements
- The university provides a comprehensive list of placements services which include guidance, resources, and support to students and alumni navigate the career development process.
- Various workshops, job fairs, and job orientations are organized by the University.
- The Career Service has a number of recruiting partners who visit the university campus every year.
- Around 20 job events including workshops, job orientation, and application training are conducted during summer break.
- Students explore more than 150 new jobs, internships from job portals every month.
- Around 30 corporate presenters attend the annual job fair every year.
- The University has a graduate employment rate of 94% after 6 months of graduation.
- Top companies visiting the University of Kassel include Accenture, Adidas, Benetton Group, Ernst & Young, Ford, Fiat, and L'Oreal
Ques. What is the admission process for international students to apply to the University of Kassel?
Ans.International students are required to submit their academic transcripts of high school along with English and German proficiency proof. Students may apply through the uni-assist portal by submitting all the required documents.
Ques. What level of language proficiency is required by the University of Kassel?
Ans.International students are required to present a German language proficiency of DSH level 2 or Test score of Test Daf, Goethe Certificate, or telc Deutsch.
For English Proficiency proof, students are required to present different levels as per the course which is level 2, level B1, or level C2 along with IELTS and TOEFL test scores.
Ques. What is the minimum GPA required for admission to the University of Kassel?
Ans.Students should have a minimum GPA of 2.0 for admission in the bachelor's program and a minimum of 2.5 GPA for admission in the Master's program.
Ques. What are the courses offered by the University of Kassel?
Ans.It offers undergraduate courses in Architecture, Engineering, Arts, Biology, Theology, Computer Science, Mechatronics, Philosophy, Political Science, Law and Business, etc.
Postgraduate courses are offered in Education Management, Business Studies, Biology, Engineering, Arts, Marketing, Mathematics, Nanoscience, Organic Farming, Psychology, and Sociology, etc.
Ques. Does the University of Kassel provide placement services?
Ans.The University of Kassel offers career opportunities through its own job portal. The university also organizes various job events like workshops, fairs, and training programs for career development.
Ques. What is the total enrollment at the University of Kassel?
Ans. UTT has a total of 23,000 to 25,000 enrolled in undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Out of this total, 3,442 are international students.
FIND A PROGRAM
For masters I chose Universiteit Gent, Belgium because I had a strong motivation to work for the development of rural areas in India. This University offers one of the best rural development program in the world. After completing masters degree, I worked through different national and international development research organisations in India. That helped me to acquire some advance skills in research and motivated me to pursue PhD if I want to make my career in research. One day, I found a vacancy offered by Universität Kassel, Germany for a doctoral researcher on effect of urbanization on peri-urban area of Bengaluru city. This position attracted my attention to apply and by god's grace they selected me for this position.
Course Curriculum :
I found my masters course well organised. This course is run by 6 European partner universities and some other developing country partner universities including China and India. So, this program gives a wide exposure to the students by giving them opportunities to study in atleast two partner universities. Usually students from developing countries are encouraged to study in developed countries universities and developed countries students are encouraged to study in developing countries universities. So, it gives a flexibility to the students to choose the courses as per their choice and get trained in those subjects. Being a rural development student, we were taken to visit dairy production units, vegetable and fruit processing industries and also offered to do a case study on rural governance in Europe. Hence, overall it was an unimaginable experience to me. Currently in PhD, I don't have to attend course work because its a project based position in which candidate has to do lot of field work and data evaluation. If needed then they are allowed to join workshops and seminars.
Right from the start of the course, I was given a chance to make the best choice for my future career. I am also given the responsibility to research projects and take ownership of my work. Soon I will become an expert on my course. I applied to the university via a uni-assist link that was available on the university's website.
Course Curriculum :
This is a perfect course for me, as I have an eye for minute details and wish to examine things very closely. The nanoscience master-s curriculum follows the nanostructure science bachelor-s degree. The curriculum further focuses on developing the interdisciplinary approach to physics, chemistry, and biology, specialization, and applied issues. I am also expecting to independently plan laboratory work and conduct experiments as well as present the results verbally and in writing to the professor.
- Super Market
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary