Leipzig University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
University of Leipzig is a public-research University founded in 1409, making it more than 600 years old. Situated in Leipzig, Saxony, the university is one of the best universities in Germany with world-renowned top-class research and medical expertise. With 155 degree programs, the university offers a unique variety of subjects from Human and Social Sciences to Natural and Life Sciences, attracting the most brilliant minds from all over the world.
The university comprises of 14 faculties with over 130 institutions and centers and 460 highly-qualified professors nurturing around 30,000 students. Out of this, around 12% are foreign students. The university sets an example of Diversity and Inclusion by giving equal opportunities to its students, irrespective of their religion, sex or nationalities.
- The university is ranked 28th in DFG 2018 Funding Atlas.
- The university regularly achieves top position in funding ranking published by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- The University is ranked among top 5 in the category for “Start-ups involving the transfer of university knowledge.”
- A member of German U15 network.
|Application portal||Online via AlmaWeb or uni-assist|
|Mode of program||Full-time; part-time|
|International Student Population||12%|
|External funding||118 million EUR (2017)|
|Cost of Attendance (Annual)||9,000 EUR|
|Total No. of students||30,226|
|Total No. of programs||155|
|Financial aid||Scholarships; part-time job; loans|
- Being situated in the heart of the city, the campus of the University of Leipzig comprises of 130 institutions and 17 central institutions having world-class infrastructure.
- All the institutions comprises of fully-furnished classrooms, highly-technical lecture theatres, libraries, laboratories, radio station, Faculty of Medicine’s training center, etc.
- The university organizes virtual as well as personal campus tours for its prospective students.
- The university has a variety of student clubs and societies in the fields of politics, music, sports & fitness, Radio, Newspaper & TV, Learning another language, etc. to encourage its students to enhance their extra-curricular involvement.
- Out of the total population of its students, 12% students are international students.
- The city of Leipzig is one of the student-friendly cities of the country with a lot of activities attracting students’ attention.
- The university provides accommodation facilities to its students in two of its Guest houses.
- The rent of these apartments varies from 400 EUR to 960 EUR.
- Students are needed to pay their rent into the specified account in accordance with their rental agreement.
- Applicants are required to submit a registration form for guest houses if they wish to stay there during their studies.
- Programs at the University of Leipzig are offered in Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral degrees.
- The most popular programs include in the fields of Economics, Mass communication, Global studies, foreign language, Chemistry, Medicines, Private Law, etc.
- The university’s profile consists of three strategic research fields covering a total of nine profile research areas.
- The university nurtures around 30,000 students through its 155 degree programs offering a unique variety of subjects to choose from.
- The university does not offer any pathway programs to its students.
To get admitted to the University of Leipzig successfully, international applicants must fulfill the given requirements. Application process for various programs is given below:
- Application portal:
- Applicants can apply online via AlmaWeb or uni-assist.
- There is no application fee.
- Documents required by international applicants include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Secondary school certificates/relevant bachelor’s degree including grades (O- and A-level or equivalent)
- Proof of University entrance examination (if applicable)
- Proof of obtained university degrees, including transcript of records
- Proof of language proficiency
- A certified photocopy of the original certificates and a certified photocopy of the translation into German or English of all the above specified original certificates
- Proof of Financial support
- A copy of valid passport
- Health Insurance
Cost of Attendance
- 236.5 EUR needs to be paid as the Semester fee by the student once they confirm their seat in the University.
- The other costs such as food, clothing, Course books, leisure, etc. depend upon the lifestyle of an individual and vary accordingly.
- An Approximated estimation of the expenses incurred is given below:
|Expense type||Estimated Cost (in EUR)|
|Books and learning aids||30|
|Travel expenses||Full MDV ticket cost included in semester fee; Cost of Car-127 EUR|
|Clothing, cosmetics and Laundry||50|
|Leisure (going out)||50|
|Cell phone, Internet||45|
Financial Aid for International Students
- The university offers various kinds of scholarships, grants and loans to enable its students to finance their studies.
- International students can also fund their studies in Germany through various other sources.
- Most of the scholarships are provided by funding institutions and foundations.
- Applicants who wish to finance their studies through scholarships are required to fill an application form and then, the institution will schedule an interview with the candidate.
- Applicants can also seek a part-time job in order to finance their studies.
- The university has a network of around 2300 alumni from over 110 nations.
- Various international alumni in spotlights are as follows:
- Abdulaziz Bachouri: Project coordinator at the Saxon State Ministry of Social Affairs and Consumer Protection (Department of Equality and Integration)
- Renáta Fixl: Head of the Hungarian office of the German Hanns Seidel Foundation in Budapest
- Zhang Xiaochen: President of FinTech4Good (US)
- Dr Fruzsina Müller: Historian at Ev.-Luth. Diakonissenhaus Leipzig e. V.