Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich 2020-2021 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Ludwig Maximillian University (LMU) offers admissions to over 51,000 students across its 18 faculties. Students can opt for making applications to any of the degree programs offered in 200 subjects and in manifold combinations. Alongside the degree programs, LMU also offers teacher training programs in 100 major and 140 supplemental subjects.
LMU, Munich is one of the top universities in Germany that received freshman enrollments of 9,424 students representing around 140 nations from across the world. International students are offered admissions to Ludwig Maximillian University twice a year (Summer and Winter Semester).
Admissions to the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich are highly selective, with an acceptance rate of only 10%. Ludwig has a higher enrollment of female applicants i.e. around 31,061 students compared to males. The university welcomed 9,424 freshmen in the 1st university semester. Around 8,875 international students are also enrolled at the university.
The following points must be kept in mind while applying to the Ludwig Maximilian University:
- The university invites applications for the summer and winter semesters.
- The medicine and engineering programs have the most selective admission procedures.
- A tabular CV in chronological order must be submitted for admission.
- Evaluation report, letters of recommendation or work experience are not necessary for admission.
- The university aptitude test is required for admission to some programs.
- Applicants need to reach at least B2 level of German proficiency according to the European reference guidelines to qualify for admission.
- Proof of English language proficiency must be submitted for programs taught in English.
- Programs with non-restricted admission admit almost all applicants who meet the eligibility criteria.
|Intake Seasons||Winter and Summer seasons|
|International student population||15%|
|State Endowment||451.1 million EUR|
|Financial Aid||Grants, loans, work-study, and Scholarships|
|Contact Details||International Admission Department|
Ludwig Maximilian University Admission Deadlines
The full-time academic session at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich begins in Winter and Summer seasons. International students may apply for up to one year in advance for early decision. However, the admission deadlines for both the intake seasons are:
- Summer Semester: January 15
- Winter Semester: July 15 (UG) and August 20 (PG)
- Doctoral Degree Programs: October 30
Though the deadlines for making applications for winter intake have ended, applications are still being considered until August 20 in case any of the following applies to you:
- If you are not applying for a preparatory course with Studienkolleg.
- If you have successfully completed the pre-registration or academic advising process for the program you wish to study at Ludwig Maximillian University.
- If you have completed the aptitude test for the degree program you wish to study.
- If you have applied for masters degree programs at LMU.
Ludwig Maximillian University International Student Admissions
LMU, Munich is highly renowned among international students and has one of the highest international student population in Germany. 15% of the total student population is of international origin from 140 countries. Your route to studying at Ludwig Maximillian University will be checking the pre-requisites for the program you wish to pursue, find out deadlines, apply for your place through the respective office, and finally registering with the university.
For applying with LMU, all international students are required to apply and register via the International Office. In some cases, applications are submitted via the central SfH (Foundations for University of Admissions) or the University Registrar Office. When planning to enroll with LMU, Munich, international students must be aware of the following regulations:
- Applying for Restricted Programs: There are local or national admission restrictions on some of the programs offered. Applications for both admission restricted programs can be made through International Office.
- Applying for Degree Programs without Pre-registration or Aptitude Test: Apply via the international office
- Applying for Degree Program with Pre-registration or Aptitude Test: Apply to the international office and the respective institute for the choice of program.
Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers over 20 programs like American studies, business administration, chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences, communication studies, economics, history, physics, political science, psychology. Applicants can qualify for any program if they have completed the university admission qualification generally Abitur certificate or equivalent.
Where to Apply: Online Application
Application Fee: Not mentioned
Admission Requirements: Applicants are required to submit the following documents in order to be eligible for admission to undergraduate programs:
- Completed and signed application form
- Certified copy of University Entrance Qualification
- Certified translation of University Entrance Qualification along with original language copy
- Certified copies of degree certificates, university certificates, transcripts of records, diploma supplements, etc.
- Completed CV
- Notification of transfer credit
- Registration certificate and confirmation
- Proof of German language proficiency
- Proof of academic achievements
- Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle für den Freistaat Bayern (ZASt) recognized notification is required from students who are:
- Holders of International Baccalaureate who haven't received their final certificate
- Applicants from USA ( unless they have their degree already)
- Applicants from Afghanistan
- Applicants from Vietnam and PR China must submit "Akademische Prüfstelle bei der Deutschen Botschaft ( APS)"
- Admission office can also ask for (ZASt) in individual cases.
German Student Visa Requirements
Students who are non-EU/EEA must have a student visa to study in any university based in Germany. If a student wishes to choose a program that lasts for 6 months or more, he/she must apply for a study visa in their home country before traveling. The documents required for applying for the German student visa are:
- Valid passport
- Passport size photos
- University entrance qualification recognized by Germany (A-Levels or equivalent)
- Proof of previous academic performance
- Proof of financial resources
- Letter of admission from Ludwig Maximilian University.
The processing of German student visas takes around 20-25 days, therefore it is quite necessary that you apply for the visa 3 months before you move to Germany. The overall student visa acceptance rate is about 92%. You can apply online as well as you can contact the local German Embassy or consulate to know more about the process
Ludwig Maximilian University Undergraduate Admissions
In most cases, international applicants (EU/EEA citizens and non-EU/EEA citizens) apply via the International Office. International students must fulfill additional requirements before applying to the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. Some of them are as follows:
Apply Offline: Click Here to Download the Form
International students must submit the ones listed below:
- University Entrance Qualification
- This is an advanced school-leaving certificate qualifying you for embarking a degree in German Universities
- Proof of German Language Proficiency.
- Official Certified copies of original certificates and original translations from secondary school or university.
- Updated CV.
- Financial support documentation or sponsor’s affidavit of financial support.
- Visa certification
- Copy of official passport.
- Completed admission application form.
Note: Letters of recommendation or work experiences are not required when registering in the International Office. To make sure that students have all the documents, refer to the documents checklist.
German Language Requirements
Since the medium of instruction is German for most of the courses, students must prove their German Language proficiency by providing scores of any one of the following tests given below, to be eligible for admission at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
|German Language Certificate (DSH)||Level 2|
|German language diploma of Kultusministerkonferenz||Level 2|
|German language test II||Not Specified|
|Goethe Certificate C2||Not Specified|
Ludwig Maximilian University Graduate Admissions
The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offers numerous graduate courses to prospective applicants. Students must apply via the respective course’s website. Each program’s requirements, deadlines and admission procedure differs from the other.
|Programs||Where to Apply||Deadline||Academic Requirements||Language Proficiency||Additional Requirements|
|Data Science- Master of Science||Apply Online
Apply with international office simultaneously
|June 1, 2020||Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in Statistics or Informatics or related disciplines;
Excellent knowledge in Informatics and Statistics;
Grade equivalents to 1.5
~IELTS- 5.5 to 6.5
~TOEFL: 46 to 93
|Interview (topics are based on stats, literature, or informatics)|
|MBA||Online Application+ Contact International Office||May 15||Bachelors in Business Administration or related field||TOEFL (pbt)- 600, (ibt)- 100
|Economics- Master of Science||Online Application
Apply with international office simultaneously
|Bachelor’s qualification in Economics or related disciplines;
Excellent Understanding of Microeconomics,
Macroeconomics and Empirical Economics;
Grade equivalent to 2.5
|Motivation letter with 2000-3000 characters|
Apply with international office simultaneously
|Jan 15, July 15||Bachelor in biochemistry, biology, or chemistry||not required||Cover Letter
University entrance exam
|Management- MSc||Apply online||-||Bachelor degree (in any field)||IELTS/TOEFL required||GRE/GMAT required
Supporting Documents: an Updated Resume/CV, English and German language proficiency (whenever required), a Research essay, a valid visa, photocopy of passport, evidence of sufficient funds.
To find out details on how to apply for masters programs at LMU, go through this masters application guideline for international students.
The admissions office of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich reviews each application critically. Admissions are offered to students based on their academic excellence, official test scores, supporting documents and on-time application submission with the required fee (if mentioned for the particular program). To avoid last-minute confusion, students are recommended to submit their applications 6 months before the application submission. The university sends the letter of admission via e-mail or the rejection notification via post-mail to the address provided on the application form.
Ques. Is German language proficiency necessary for all programs?
Ans. Evidence of German language proficiency is not required for programs that are offered in English such as master’s degrees and doctoral programs.
Ques. What is the correct format of the CV?
Ans. A CV should preferably be made in a tabular format without any gaps and up to date information up to the date of application with specification of month and year. It must furnish all important academic information along with personal data. Information should be listed in a chronological manner.
Ques. Can I get my documents back if my application was rejected?
Ans. Yes. Rejected applicants can get back their documents but not earlier than 3 months after the application deadline. Students must contact the university for the same.
Ques. I am an international student. Can I apply for multiple courses with an admission restriction?
Ans. No. International applicants can apply for two programs at a time and only one program with restricted admission.
Ques. Does Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich offer an MBA?
Ans. No. The Faculty of Business Administration does not offer an MBA currently.