Saarland University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
The Saarland University is situated in Saarland, Saarbrucken, Germany. The university was founded in November of 1948 as a bilingual university that combined French and German educational traditions. The aim of the university is to embrace new ideas and new goals through European spirit. The university has professors and students from different countries and speak different languages which come together in unity. The research environment and 29 international programs offered at the university attracts foreign scholars, scientists and students to study in Germany. The university is well known for academic excellence and research in Medicine and Computer sciences.
- The ARWU Shanghai Ranking has ranked Saarland University in top 600 Universities globally.
- The CWUR World university ranking has ranked the university at 494th position globally.
- The US News has positioned the university at 547th position worldwide and 246th in Europe.
|Year of Establishment||1948|
|Courses offered||Pre-professional, undergraduate and graduate – masters & doctoral|
|Tuition fee||No tuition fee|
|International student population||3,546 (21%)|
|International Admission helpdesk||+49 681 302-71100
- The university library is well fitted with modern facilities containing a wide range of books and online resources.
- For student service, there are numerous cafes providing food at a reasonable price. There are shops and markets for all types of commodities inside the Saarland University’s campus.
- The university has a total of six faculties and a total of 26 departments for academics.
- The university’s StudentWerk (Student Services) offers rooms and apartments to international students on a first come first serve basis.
- Ph.D. international students are provided residence in university’s guest houses as per availability.
- Finding on-campus accommodation here is difficult, just like most German Universities. International students can find housing options in Germany through many sources.
- Separate application is required to be submitted online.
- There are numerous student halls of residence run by private organisations arranged by the university. Details can be found on the university website. Other private rooms/flats are also available nearby campus.
- The university offers pre-professional, bachelor, master, doctoral and certificate courses to international students. There are 29 international programs offered by Saarland University.
- The university offers bachelor programs in German language, whereas master degrees are offered in English, German and French languages.
- M.SC. in Bioinformatics is offered in English.
- There are nine bachelor degree courses offered at the university – Biology, Chemistry, Material sciences and Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Law, systems engineering and more.
- The master degree for international students – Master in Bioinformatics, International physics, Language & communication, Human & molecular biology etc.
- Admissions at Saarland University follow a slightly different pattern depending on the degree-type of the program opted.
- All international candidates applying at the undergraduate level require first to obtain preliminary review documentation for education credential through uni-assist.
- The certificate issued by the uni-assist will decide if you will get admission directly or in the foundation course first.
- This application review is waived for masters and doctoral applicants. The decision is taken by Saarland University itself.
- The documents at uni-assist require to be submitted in paper. After attaining certificates, mail them to:
- Universität des Saarlandes, c/o uni-assist e.V., 11507 Berlin, Germany
- Application form: -
- Uni-assist (undergraduate)
- University program webpage (Graduate)
- Application fee: -
- Uni-Assist fee: 75 EUR
- Application deadline: -
- Summer semester: January 15
- Winter semester: July 15
- Supporting Documents and eligibility: -
- Application for admission – completed and printed
- Certified copy of certificates with grades of previous qualifications.
- Complete CV/Resume
- Copy of passport
- Additional course wise requirements
- Application for admission to preparatory German language course
- Or German language proficiency:
|German language test for university entrance||DSH-2 or DSH-3|
|TestDaF in all parts of the examination||grade of 'TDN 4' or 'TDN 5'|
|Goethe Certificate||C2 : GDS/KDS/ZOP|
|KMK German Language||Diploma Level II|
- English language proficiencyfor courses offered in English or for Masters in language and communication technology
|Test type||Minimum score|
Cost of attendance
- There is no tuition fee charged. However, students need to be aware of the cost of studying in Germany.
- Academic fee and other important fees are given below.
|Fee||Cost in EUR|
|Non-enrolled students fee per semester||81.30 to 156.30|
|Senior citizen students||400 per semester|
|Cross enrolled students||315.65 per semester|
- Monthly average rental prices in Saarbrucken are tabulated below
|Room type||Cost in EUR|
|Dormitory rooms in student hall of residence||220-300|
|Shared room in house/apartment||250-330|
|Studio apartments||Minimum 350|
- Additional average living expense per month in Saarland – 800 EUR
Financial aid for International Students
- The German Academic exchange service (DAAD) maintains a student scholarship database and provides scholarships to selected students in full-time study and doctoral degree in Germany.
- Non-German applicants should be prepared to look for other sources to fund studying in Germany.
- International and doctoral students in their final year study can avail financial support through Saarland-Stipendium.
- Many organisations such as care concept, Heinrich Boll foundation etc provide scholarship to students irrespective of nationality.
- The university’s Student services also provide emergency loans to students facing financial hardship.
The university has a very big global network of European and international professionals. The network helps students and professionals to exchange experience and job-opportunities.
- Many organisations across the world organise job fairs for final year students at Saarland University.
- Students outside of the EU are entitled to work only for 120 full days.
- After this time limit, they will require a work permit from the Foreigners’ registration office for working in Germany.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
QS World University
Saarland University is a very good university for Computer science department in Germany. It is graded quite high on various factors in the CHE Rankings. Saarland University also has collaboration with multiple amazing research institutes including 2 Max Planck institutes and also German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence. The course Embedded systems offered by University allows students to take classes from both the Computer Science department as well Systems department even though the course is administered by Computer science department, so as a student I have a lot of options to choose from.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum offered by Saarland University for Embedded systems is mostly software related. There are very few hardware related courses. There is a big focus on AI topics. And since we are allowed to take many classes from both Computer science department and Systems department, students can form their own curriculum based on their interests. There are 3 types of courses: Basic - These are Introductory courses which give a basic understanding. Advanced - These go deep into a particular topic. They usually contain the latest major advancements that has happened in that particular field. Seminars - These usually involve students getting familiar with the state-of-the-art research being done by reading academic papers.
I wanted to pursue MS in CS. The Computer Science program offered by Saarland University is one of the best in Germany. It is definitely among the top 5 universities in Germany.
Course Curriculum :
The courses offered in the CS program are diverse. It provides an array of specializations for the students to choose from. There's also the freedom to choose/study any course a student wants. There's also the flexibility to change/drop courses if a student is no longer interested in it. The coursework seems updated. There's scope for both theoretical and practical applications. Students are encouraged and often obtain research experience at esteemed institutes such as DFKI, MPI, CISPA and all of them are located within the campus. Students also have opportunities to find HiWi (part-time work) outside of the university, which would help them apply their theoretical knowledge in practical work.
I belong to a family of businessmen. Also, I have an entrepreneurial mindset. I always wanted to do something unique and of my own. To accomplish the same I decided to opt for a college that can have some courses to make me capable of pursuing my dream and providing me in-depth knowledge. I searched a lot and finally concluded to this college. I applied to this college through its official website, which was totally free.
Course Curriculum :
One half of the program consists of lectures and seminars in cyber-security and computer science. In the other half, we will work in groups over a period of three semesters to develop a business idea in the field of cyber-security. The ultimate objective of the curriculum is to enable us to turn current research topics into marketable products.
- Train Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary