University of Siegen: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarshipsv
The University of Siegen is a medium-sized, interdisciplinary research university. Established in 1972, the university is a public research university and is located in Siegen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It’s among one of Germany’s leading research universities. It is a part of Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, a society of Germany's leading research universities. It is firmly rooted in the South Westphalia region and has extensive national and international networks. The university has 12% of its total students as International students.
University of Siegen Rankings
One of the best public universities of Germany, University of Siegen is
- Ranked 866th worldwide and 52nd nationwide according to the university ranking by CWUR 2018-19.
- Ranked in 501-600th in world university ranking and 100th in world ranking for young universities according to Times Higher Education.
|Percentage of International Students||12%|
|English language proficiency score||TOEFL-iBT/IELTS|
|Mode of program||Full time|
|For general inquiry||+49 271 740-0|
University of Siegen Campus
- The campus of University of Siegen is situated on an area of 92,000 m² of floor space
- Buildings are distributed across three core areas in Siegen (Haardter Berg hill, Emmy-Noether-Campus and administration based at Herrengarten).
- There are five faculties that come under the University of Siegen. They are
- Faculty of Philosophy
- Faculty of Education-Architecture-Arts
- Faculty of Economics-Business Informatics-Business law
- Faculty of Natural Science
- Technology and Faculty of Life Sciences 5.
- The university boasts of a modernized digital library with full access to the enrolled students.
- The Student Services Organization Siegen (Studierendenwerk Siegen) provides residence halls and runs dining halls and cafeterias on our campuses.
- Full meals, snacks and drinks are provided at affordable prices.
University of Siegen Residence
- Many off-campus and on-campus options are available for international students seeking accommodation in Germany.
- Accepted students need to apply for housing as soon as possible as in Germany the letter of admission does not guarantee a place for accommodation in the student residence hall.
- The rooms provided at the student residence hall are well furnished.
- However dishware, cookware and bedding are not included in the rooms.
- The Student Services Organization Siegen provides a bedding set (pillow and pillowcase, blanket and blanket case as well as a bedsheet) for a cost of approximately 507 EUR.
- Students can apply for the residence by filling out the application form available on the university website.
- Apart from residence halls provided by the Student Services Organization, there are privately-owned residence halls in Siegen where students can easily accommodate themselves. The information for the private residence hall can be found here.
University of Siegen Programs
- The University of Siegen offers over a hundred courses in undergraduate and postgraduate programs via its affiliated five schools.
- There is a vast range of courses offered by the University of Siegen ranging from Computer Science to Psychology.
- Economic Policy, Electrical Engineering, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Mechatronics and Physics are some of the popular courses provided at the University of Siegen.
University of Siegen Admission Process
All the applicants have to apply for admission in writing the STARTING (Student Admission, Registration and Training in German) office. If STARTING states that previous university entrance qualification is equivalent to the German Abitur, applicant may enter the university directly, i.e., applicants do not have to enroll for preparatory classes and may apply directly for admission.
If diplomas do not qualify for direct university entrance, applicants may have to attend a preparatory class first. International students can apply for admission at the University of Siegen by following these instructions:
The admission process for the Undergraduate program:
Application portal: Universal online portal of the Institute.
Application fee: No application fee required
Admission requirements: The general requirements for the Master's programs are 11:
- Online application form
- Certified copies of your university entrance qualification, university report cards and university entrance examination (if necessary in your home country), together with a German or English translation (prepared by a sworn translator)
- Certificate of nationality
- Tabular resume
- If necessary the certificate of the results of the TestAS
- German proficiency score (for the courses offered in German). If students do not meet the required criteria, they have to attend the German Preparatory Course offered by University13.
Application deadline: For the summer semester, the deadline for applying to the Preparatory German Course is November 15 and for the Masters degree it is January 15.
The admission process, Application portal and requirements as well as application deadlines all are the same for both Bachelors and Masters degree.
University of Siegen Cost of Attendance
- The international students are not currently charged with the tuition fee.
- However, they have to pay a sum of 260 EUR for the payment of the semester fee.
- Students will receive their unique student ID and semester ticket for the period of study upon payment of the semester fee.
- Students required to have at least 853 EUR per month to meet up their various expenses while studying at the University.
- During the semester, the semester ticket can be used in Siegen and in the entire federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia for city buses and regional buses and suburban trains as well as underground trains, regional trains and regional express trains.
- Long-distance buses, InterCity trains (IC), and InterCityExpress trains (ICE) are not included in the semesterticket scheme.
The living expenses can be further broken down as below. All the expenses are given as an approximate value. 15:
|Expenses||Cost in EUR|
|Rent and utilities||200-300|
|Health insurance, medication||80|
|Phone bill, internet||43|
|Recreation, sports, cultural||61|
University of Siegen Financial Aid
- Usually, there are no tuition fees required for study at the University of Siegen and the cost for living is also reasonable. Hence, there’s not much help available for international students.
- However some scholarships are awarded by political or religious groups to the students.
- For international students, there are German Academic Exchange Service scholarships given to students related to all the fields and STIBET Final Scholarship given to the students who are in their final phase of studies.
- It is rarely possible for International students to get a loan in Germany. However, if they are married to German partners, then there is a chance of getting various loans.
University of Siegen Placement
- The University of Siegen receives around 3,000 job offers from various companies, Organizations and faculties from all over the world.
- The Job Placement Center of the University of Siegen provides help and support for students who are looking for a part-time job, vacation job or an internship. They publish offers from firms and enterprises, private employers, service companies, and authorities.
University of Siegen Alumni
Notable Siegen University alumni include:
- Uwe Boll , director, producer and screenwriter
- Paul Breuer, parliamentary defense policy spokesman for the Christian Democratic Union
- Peter Hussing (born 1948), heavyweight boxing champion
Find a Program
Times Higher Education
Ranked #601 - #800
Ranked #401 - #500
Ranked #401 - #500
Ranked #301 - #400
Ranked #301 - #400
International Business (International)
View More >>
I always desired to pursue my masters from Germany. I did a little research and also took some help from my seniors who have studied from Germany. Thus I got to know about this university from them. I applied to the university through a common application form. The application fee that I paid was €10.
Course Curriculum :
My course is a two-year course. It focuses on modern aspects of the science and technology of nanoscopic systems, ranging from basic knowledge to applications and devices. It consists of a set of lectures, seminars and lab courses followed by a project in a research group, accomplished by a thesis. It is designed to bridge the gap between nanoscience and nanotechnology. The part related to nanoscience includes chemical preparation of nano-scale compounds and their characterization by physical methods.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary