Witten/Herdecke University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Witten Herdecke University, a private university located in Witten, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany is the oldest and most prestigious university in Germany. It was among the first private higher education institutions of Germany to receive the University status. The University has a total student enrolment of 2500+ and a staff of 582. Established in 1983, the university offers excellent academic programs at the bachelor’s, masters, and doctoral levels. It is among a few of Germany’s private universities that integrate practical and theoretical training and has innovative course structures.
The University’s Faculty of Management, Economics, and Psychology has been ranked in the top 10 consistently. Besides, the university’s program in clinical medicine has been ranked 645th by U.S. News and World Report 2020. The institution's Faculty of Management and Economics received commendable positions in practical relevance and supervision as per CHE University Rankings 2017.
Witten Herdecke University Rankings
Witten Herdecke University has been ranked as follows according to U.S. News and World Report 2020:
- 66th in Best Global Universities in Germany
- 499th in Best Global Universities in Europe
- 1367th in Best Global Universities in the world
|Mode of Program||Full-time and online|
|Medium of Instruction||English and German|
|Mode of Application||Online/ Offline|
|On-campus accommodation||Not available|
|Financial Aid||Available as scholarships|
|English language proficiency scores||TOEFL, IELTS, CEPR|
Witten Herdecke University Campus and Residence
- Witten Herdecke University has a metropolitan campus in Ruhr, centrally located in Germany.
- The campus is well-connected to Hamburg, Berlin, Cologne, and Dusseldorf.
- Concert halls, football clubs, pubs, and theatres are within easy reach from campus by train and bus.
- The university also offers various sports facilities free of cost.
- The University does not provide on-campus accommodation facilities.
- Students will have to use various housing portals to look for off-campus accommodation options close to the campus.
Witten Herdecke University Programs
- Witten Herdecke University offers programs through 3 faculties – Faculty of Health, Faculty of Arts and Humanities and Faculty of Management and Economics.
- The Faculty of Health of the university has four schools offering degree programs in dentistry, nursing science, medicine and psychology, and psychotherapy.
- The university also offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, Management, Strategy, and Organization.
- The academic programs combine professional training and theoretical education, practical exposure, and independent research projects.
- Witten Herdecke University was the first in Germany to offer bachelor’s degrees in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.
- Students have the opportunity to engage in research that has international recognition through participation in international research programs.
Witten Herdecke University Application Process
International applicants willing to take admission to the Witten Herdecke University are required to follow the same procedure as domestic applicants. However, certain additional requirements may have to be fulfilled. The admission process and requirements are administered by respective faculties.
How to Apply?
The process of admission to Witten Herdecke University has been discussed below:
Application portal: Students are required to complete the online UWE Application
Application fee: 100 EUR
Application deadline: January 31 (summer semester); July 31 (winter semester)
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted along with the application for admission:
- Provisional certificate or unofficial copy of higher education entrance qualification
- Proof of first academic degree for masters programs
- Proof of German or English language proficiency
- CV (in tabular format)
- Letter of Motivation (2 pages maximum)
- Application fee receipt
- Proof of work experience
- Health insurance
- Copy of passport and visa certificate
- Identity proof
English language requirements
Minimum scores required for fulfilling English proficiency requirements are given below:
Witten Herdecke University Cost of Attendance
Aspirants of the institute must plan their finances in advance before enrolling at the university. An estimated budget for international students looking for studying at Witten Herdecke University has been given below:
|Tuition fee for undergraduate programs||18,072 – 35,892 EUR|
|Tuition fee for postgraduate programs||8,736 – 27,408 EUR|
|Administration fee||50 - 250 EUR|
|Meals||90 - 150 EUR|
|Transportation||190 - 200 EUR|
|Other||570 - 1100 EUR|
Witten Herdecke University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Witten Herdecke University meets the demonstrated needs of its students by offering financial support in the form of scholarships.
- Hochschulwerk Scholarship offers a stipend of up to 700 EUR for a period of 24 months. If the student has income below 21,000 EUR, he/she is exempted from repayment.
- The University also offers interest-free loans to students at the time of financial need.
- There are 3 flexible ways for students to pay their tuition fees. These include income-related repayment after graduation, fixed direct payment during studies, and later and direct payment by halves during and after graduation.
Witten Herdecke University Alumni Network
- Witten Herdecke University has a well-established alumni network with more than 7,000 active members.
- The alumni association provides a way to connect with other members, attend annual meetings, reunion, workshops, and make new connections.
Witten Herdecke University Placement
The Career Service department of Witten Herdecke University helps students in building a professional career by organizing career fairs, counseling sessions, events on writing job applications, etc. Most events focus on helping students in networking with prospective job providers in Germany and gain initial work experience. Additionally, there is a Career Centre site that provides access to a wide range of jobs and events.
As one of my relatives is already settled in Germany. That encouraged me to apply for the masters there and live with them. I applied to 3 universities and got selected here at the Witten Herdecke University. This is a well-reputed university. I found it the best university among others. As it offers me the opportunity to gain more practical knowledge while studying.
Course Curriculum :
I really like my course curriculum as it gets upgraded whenever there is any change in the technologies or theories. The curriculum is structured in such a way that none of us feel burdened or bored. Also, the curriculum emphasizes practical learning instead of only theoretical learning.
- Shopping Mall
- Bus Station
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary