Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM): Programs, Fees, Admission Process and Scholarships
Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), formally known as Universiti Pertanian Malaysia is one of the leading research universities in Malaysia. Founded in 1931 as School of agriculture, the university offers undergraduate, postgraduate courses with a primary focus on agricultural sciences and its related fields.
- Around 4,524 international students get enrolled in UPM for undergraduate and graduate programs. UPM provides 85% graduate employability.
- Putra Business school has received accreditation from Advance Collegiate School of Business (AACSB), only 5% of business programs in the world enjoy the association.
- University Putra is one of the seven universities selected for the Melbourne-Malaysia split Ph.D. partnership, sponsored by the Malaysian government
- The university has 2 campuses located in Serdang (main campus) and Bintulu.
- Students willing to take admission in Universiti Putra Malaysia can avail international collaborative programme UPM-ICP to get dual degree at masters and doctorate level.
Table of Contents
Universiti Putra Malaysia Highlights
|Major Programs||Agriculture, Engineering, Development Studies, Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Education and Training, Architecture|
|Mode of Programs||Full time; Part time|
|Percentage of International students||18%|
|Student to Faculty Ratio||13:1|
|Admission Helpdesk||1800 22 5587 | email@example.com|
Universiti Putra Malaysia Rankings
There has been a constant rise in the rankings of Malaysian Universities over the past few years. UPM rankings have seen a considerable rise as well indicating the shift of the global knowledge economy to the Asian countries. This will add in a significant surge of international students enrolling the university as the COVID-19 pandemic heralds a challenge to western universities. Following are the rankings of University Putra Malaysia as per different agencies:
- In the 17th edition of Times Higher Education Rankings, Universiti Putra Malaysia falls in the 601-800 band.
- THE Business and Economics rankings are place UPM in #301-400 band and for Engineering and Technology, the university stands at #401-500 band.
- U.S News and World Report 2020 recon=gnise UPM at #611 spot.
- QS world rankings 2020 value the university at 159t position globally.
- UI-Greenmetric in 2019 based on infrastructure, education, research, waste, climate and water place UPM at 28th spot in the world.
Universiti Putra Malaysia Undergraduate Programs and Fees
Incepted in 1973 with 1559 students, UPM now offers 59 bachelor programs, 7 diploma programs, and 12 Masters and Doctoral programs. There are 16 Faculties, eight Centres, nine Institutes, two Schools, a University Park and a branch campus in Bintulu, Sarawak.
The medicine department of Universiti of Putra is fully recognized by the Malaysian Medical Council.
|Program/Faculty||Annual Fees for Bachelor’s|
|Faculty of Agriculture||RM 20,250|
|Faculty of Forestry||RM 20,250|
|Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences||RM 24,000-25,250|
|Faculty of Economics and Management||RM 16,500|
|Faculty of Engineering||RM 21,500|
|Faculty of Educational Studies||RM 16,500-20,250|
|Faculty of Science||RM 19,000-20,250|
|Faculty of Human Ecology||RM 14,050-20,250|
|Faculty of Modern Languages||RM 14,050|
|Faculty of Biotechnology||RM 19,050-20,250|
Universiti Putra Malaysia Postgraduate Programs and Fees
In addition to the faculty and departments existing, UPM has two schools for specialized study programs-
- School of Graduate Studies which is a service and administrative center in order to promote research activities.
- Putra Business School is formerly the graduate school of management recognized by AACSB, established by not for profit YAYASAN PUTRA BUSINESS SCHOOL.
|Program/Faculty||Annual Fees for Master’s|
|Faculty of Agriculture||RM 10,000-19,500|
|Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology||RM 10,000-14,000|
|Faculty of Design and Architecture||RM 10,000-16,500|
|Faculty of Management and Economics||RM 9000-13,500|
|Faculty of Educational Studies||RM 9000-13,500|
|Faculty of Engineering||RM 10,000-12,000|
|Faculty of Environmental Studies||RM 10,000-13,500|
|Faculty of Science||RM 10,000-13,500|
|Faculty of Forestry||RM 10,000|
|Faculty of Advanced Technology||RM 10,000-14,000|
Universiti Putra Malaysia Admissions
International students may apply at the official website of UPM.
Application Fee – RM 265
Application Deadlines – September intake – May 31, February intake – October 30
- Official Transcripts (in English)
- Certified copy of passport (first page)
- Visa Approval Letter (VAL)
- Minimum English language proficiency requirement
- TOEFL – 550 (PBT), 79-80 (iBT), 213 (CBT)
- IELTS – 6.0
Universiti Putra Malaysia Scholarships
- Tuition Fee (total course fee): RM 9,000 to RM 22,500
- Housing (per month): RM 270 to RM 1,000
- Other Expenses (monthly): RM 300 to RM 400
- Health Insurance (annually): RM 400 to RM 500
Mentioned are the scholarships for international students in Malaysia along with the cost of living in Malaysia including tuition fees.
Scholarships – February intake
|Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA)||RM 1,125-1,500|
|International Graduate Research Fellowship (IGRF)||Masters- RM 1,200
PhD- RM 1,600
|International Graduate Student Scholarship (IGSS)||30% of tuition fees|
|Special graduate research allowance scheme (SGRA)||Monthly stipend
Masters- RM 1,800
PhD- RM 2,300
|Putra Alumni Scholarship Pass (International)||50% of tuition fees for children of Alumni|
Universiti Putra Malaysia Accommodation
There are two (2) types of on-campus accommodation available for international students. They are International Transit House and University Residential College (for single students). International students are advised to submit their application for on-campus accommodation before coming to Malaysia as an apartment in the International Transit House and rooms in the University Residential College are very limited.
On Campus Accommodation
International Transit House/ Ibnu Battuta House (IBH)
- Type: Apartment (2 rooms)
- Duration of Stay: 1 year (minimum)
- Eligibility: Full-time UPM International student
- Fees: RM 1,000
- Additional Information: First Come first Serve basis
All basic amenities are provided with easy access such as common room, study room, kitchen, activity room and more.
University Residential College
- Type: Dormitory (sharing basis)
- Duration of Stay: As per residential college management
- Eligibility: Full-time UPM International student
- Fees: RM 9/day
- Additional Information: First Come first Serve basis (on availability)
- Taman Desaminium Apartments
Charges with equipment – RM 650 (per month)
Charges without equipment – RM 500 (per month)
About 100 apartments are available for the students living outside the campus. They are hardly 15 minutes away from the campus.
Universiti Putra Malaysia Alumni Network and Benefits
Universiti Putra Malaysia Alumni Association (PAUPM) establishes close relationships with members with the aim of enhancing their academic intellectual, self-esteem and mutual benefits. With extensive Alumni / Member knowledge contributes to the community and national development. Moreover, for the upliftment of welfare activities of the members, the following benefits can be available by University Putra Malaysia alumni:
- Get a discount on expenses for PAUPM-supported projects/exercises.
- 20% discount on 'Green Fee' at UPM Golf Club.
- 20% off admission to EduPark UPM.
- Unique installment for the UPM library membership fee every year.
- 10% off study enrollment charge at Putra Business School (enlistment through PAUPM only).
- Discount on selected PAUPM sales items.
- Eligible to get money related help through the Tabung Alumni Prihatin.
- Rebate for horse riding class expenses at Equine Center, UPM.
- Chance to get membership of the Koperasi Alumni UPM Serdang Berhad (KOASER).
- May be selected as the Committee of UPM Alumni Association (PAUPM) at the Annual General Meeting like clockwork (Lifetime Members as it were).
FIND A PROGRAM
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA ACCOMMODATION
University Putra Malaysia has a student population of around 24,000, with an international intake of around 4,500 students. UPM accepts 1,300 inbound exchange students and sending about the same for overseas studies. UPM provides accomodation and a transit point for international students. The accommodation residences are located inside and outside the campus. International students are advised to reserve their accommodation before arriving at the campus as rooms are limited in number. The general cost of accommodation varies from RM 300 to RM 1000.
University Putra Malaysia In Campus Accommodation
International Residential College
- Residential colleges are comfortable facilities with easy access to in and around campus.
- The residence is located near the International Center of the campus.
- Facilities like kitchen party, TV rooms, study rooms, meeting rooms, activity rooms, prayer rooms, ICT room, cafeteria and laundry are available in the UPM residence.
Charges for the International Residential College at UPM are as follows:
|Type of Room||Daily Charge (RM)||Monthly Charge (RM)|
|Single Room With Conditioner||20||600|
|Single Room Without Conditioner||18||540|
|Sharing Room With Conditioner||10||300|
|Sharing Room Without Conditioner||9||270|
Ibnu Battuta House (IBH)/ International Transit House
- Transit houses are temporary dwelling for international students.
- Located near they Staff House UPM
- Provides 160 complete apartments with furniture and home appliances
- Limited only 11 months
- Charge Rate per weeek- RM 250
- Charge rate per month- RM 1000
University Putra Malaysia Outside Campus Accommodation
Off campus accommodations are also available for UPM students around 1kn-10km radium. Flats, service apartments, condominiums and terrace houses can easily be rented. The average cost for off campus UPM accommodation is RM 500- RM 2000. UPM also has an outside campus accommodation for international students:
Taman Desaminium Apartment
- Frequency UPM campus bus only 30 minutes
- Located at the distance of 15 minutes from UPM campus
- Provides 100 apartments
|Full charge with equipment||RM 650 / Month|
|Full charge with equipment||RM 500 / Month|
Student transportation facility inside and outside can=mpus is available for students via UPM Bus Service. Approximate fee for unlimited rides per semester is RM 60.
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA RANKINGS
University Putra Malaysia has been progressing in international profiling, making to the top fold of ranking agencies. UPM has improved its position with each passing year achieving excellence in international reputation and standing.
- UPM made it to the first time in “QS top 50 under 50” in 2014 at the 38th spot. In 2020 it holds 10th position as the best university under 50 years old category.
- UPM climbed 43 places in Times Higher Education Asia Ranking 2020, placed at 145th position, compared to 188th in 2019.
- The university ranks highest among Best Malaysian universities in research indicators which include publication volume, citation reputation, and revenue from research. The achievements recognize UPM as a world-renowned research university.
University Putra Malaysia Global Ranking
Universiti Putra Malaysia maintains its traditional role of investing in tertiary level research in agriculture and relevant fields. Over the years, the university has expanded its scope in the fields of science and technology. This has led UPM to mark its presence on the global rankings with consequential improvement over the year.
The global ranking of UPM is as follows:
- QS world university Ranking 2021 spots the university at the 132nd position. This is an improvement from the 2020 ranking which placed UPM at 159th position.
- Times Higher Education ranks UPM at 601-800th position in world rankings. In terms of the impact, the university holds a 101-200th position.
- THE ranks UPM at 151-200 category for Young University Rankings.
- US News Best Global Universities, 2020 honored University Putra Malaysia at 611th position globally and 117 in Asia.
- UPM made it to QS “top 50 under 50” securing 10th position.
University Putra Malaysia Subject Wise Ranking
Universiti Putra Malaysia aspires to be the university of the next millennium and in line with its vision programs at UPM are designed to be versatile in tandem with Malaysia’s dynamic technology. Subject wise ranking of the prestigious university as per QS is as follows:
- Accounting and Finance: 151-200
- Engineering-Petroleum: 51-75
- English Language and Literature: 151-200
- Agriculture and Forestry: 51-100
- Environmental Studies: 151-200
- Accounting and Finance: 151-200
- Physics and Astronomy: 351-400
- Medicine: 251-300
- Education and Training: 151-200
- Pharmacy: 151-200
- Architecture: 151-200
- Social Science and Management: 199
University Putra Malaysia National Ranking
In a superlative display of achievement through its employs integrity, research dng=d internationalized programs, UPM is the leading university in Malaysia.
- US News Best Global Universities awards UPM 4 position at the national level.
- Unirank places UPM at 2nd top university in Malaysia, 7th in Southeast Asia, and 87th in Asia.
- CWRU World University Rankings identifies UPM as 3rd best university in Malaysia.
- Currently acquires 145th spot as per THE Asia University Rankings
Times Higher Education
RANKED #601 - #800
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #601 - #800
Computer Science (International)
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #401 - #500
View More >>
QS World University
One of the teachers at my bachelor's suggested to me this college for opting for my masters from. I explored the university online and found it interesting. I applied to the university through the official website by paying an application fee of around RM 250.
Course Curriculum :
The program aims to equip us with knowledge of theories and applications relevant to the field of corporate communication. In this program, we are exposed to the latest developments in the communication industry. Through a series of lectures and practical assignments, the program aims to contribute to a higher level of professionalism among future and current practitioners of corporate communication and professionals in the media industry.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary