Universiti Putra Malaysia 2021 Rankings, Top Programs, Fees, Admission Process and Scholarships
Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), formally known as Universiti Pertanian Malaysia is one of the leading research universities in Malaysia. Founded in 1931 as School of agriculture, the university offers undergraduate, postgraduate courses with a primary focus on agricultural sciences and its related fields. UPM offers semester-wise programs and accepts applications in the month of June, September, and February (depending on the program).
- Around 4,524 international students get enrolled in UPM for undergraduate and graduate programs, which has 85% graduate employability.
- Putra Business school has received accreditation from Advance Collegiate School of Business (AACSB), only 5% of business programs in the world enjoy the association.
- University Putra is one of the seven universities selected for the Melbourne-Malaysia split Ph.D. partnership, sponsored by the Malaysian government
- Students have to pay an average tuition fee of 24,550 RM to 2,00,000 RM for the entire program.
- Students willing to take admission in Universiti Putra Malaysia can avail international collaborative program UPM-ICP to get a dual degree at masters and doctorate level.
All the information related to admission, requirement, scholarship, accommodation is shared in the article, so keep reading.
There has been a constant rise in the rankings of Malaysian Universities over the past few years. UPM rankings have seen a considerable rise as well indicating the shift of the global knowledge economy to the Asian countries. This will add in a significant surge of international students enrolling the university as the COVID-19 pandemic heralds a challenge to western universities. Following are the rankings of University Putra Malaysia as per different agencies:
- Ranked #132 globally by QS world ranking 2022
- Ranked #28 best in Asia by Asian QS ranking 2021
- Ranked #1 in Malaysia and #10 in the world in QS 50 under 50
- Ranked #42 in agricultural science by US news world report
- Ranked #78 in Times higher education emerging economics
- Ranked #80 globally in agriculture & forestry by QS ranking 2021
|No. of Campus||2|
|Campus Location||Serdang, and Bintulu (Serawak)|
|Intake Sessions||2 intakes a year|
|Enrollment fee||RM280 (non-refundable)|
|Basic Tuition Fee for International Students||RM 24,810 to RM 429,500|
|Mode of Programs||Full time, Part-time, Online|
|Types of Programs||Foundation, Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctorate|
UPM offers great on-campus accommodation facilities to students, accommodation facilities for international students are separate and in the international resident complex. The international resident is located inside and outside the campus.
- Institute offers a single room and sharing room accommodation facility to international students. Institute has two in-campus residents i.e. International Residential College and Ibnu Battuta House (IBH) / International Transit House (ITH) and one outside campus resident named Taman Desaminium Apartment
- International residential campus facility includes kitchen, pantry, study rooms, meeting rooms, activity room, prayer room, ICT room, cafeteria and laundry, and TV room.
|Room type||Charges in RM per month|
|Single room (with conditioner)||600|
|Single room (without conditioner)||540|
|Sharing room (with conditioner)||300|
|Sharing room (without conditioner)||270|
These housing facilities complete with furniture and home appliances. ITH is located on the campus and TDA is located 15 min far from the campus.
|Resident||Charges per month|
|International Transit House (ITH)||RM 1000|
|Taman Desaminium Apartment||RM 650 (with equipment)|
|RM 500 (without equipment)||-|
UPM offers a plethora of undergraduate and post-graduate programs in the various fields of agriculture, forestry, Medicine and Health Sciences, Economics and Management, Engineering, Educational Studies, Science, Biotechnology, computer science, and information technology, etc.
- Master’s programs - Bachelor’s degree in related field with at least CGPA of 2.75 or bachelor’s degree with 3 years work experience (if CGPA is CGPA is between 2.50 to 2.75) or bachelor’s degree with 5 years of work experience in related field (if CGPA is < 2.50)
- Ph.D. programs - Masters degree in related field or an outstanding bachelors degree with at least CGPA of 3.75 or equivalent
- Bachelors programs – Completed national higher school certificate or equivalent to 12-year education with 80% grade or diploma with minimum CGPA of 3.0 or fulfilled special requirement mentioned in the table
- Some programs need to pass an interview to get admission
- Students are advised to must visit the official website to confirm the requirements and fees as they may change in the future.
|Program||Total Fees in RM|
|Master in Land Resource Management||36,450|
|Master of Computer Science||24,450|
|Master of Business Administration||44050|
|Master of Economics||35,450|
|Master of Architecture||31,200|
|Master of Engineering Management||24,450|
|Master of Electrical Power Engineering||26,450|
|Master of Food Technology||28,950|
|Master of Public Health||29,200|
|Bachelor of Accountancy||50,000|
|Bachelor of Business Administration||50,000|
|Doctor of Veterinary Medicine||200,000|
|Bachelor of Agricultural Science||65,000|
|Bachelor of forestry science||65,000.|
|Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical and Electronics)||70,000|
The application procedure of University Putra Malaysia for international students is online and complete in multiple steps. Due to its award-winning education institute has students from more than 80 countries worldwide. Applicants are advised to first figure out the eligibility criteria, intake dates, and fees and fill the form accurately. Here is the application procedure
Application mode - Online
Application portal – Click here
Application fees – RM 280 (non-refundable)
Application deadlines – 17 June 2021 (program by research), October 22, 2021 first semester, April 1, 2022 second semester.
- Applicants are required to meet the entry requirement as per the program
- Applicants must meet the English language proficiency requirement
- Applicants need to submit proof of work experience as per the program
- Applicants required to meet other specific programs wise requirements and visa requirement
- First, open the official website portal and register yourself
- Open the application portal and read the application guideline
- Choose your program and start filling the form
- Fill the application form carefully and submit the application
- Download the form and attach the required documents
- Send the form with documents to the given address
- Pay the application fee and get a confirmation in your email
- The application will be processed under the admission guideline after receiving the required supporting documents
- You will be notified once your application will be approved to complete further steps
- Completed online application form
- Transcripts of HSC/GCA level A/diploma certificate (certified copy)
- Transcripts of previously attended qualification
- Bachelor’s degree certificate
- Masters degree certificate
- English language proficiency test scores
- Passport and photographs
- Certified copy of financial stability
- Proof of relevant work experience
- Student visa
- Translated certificate (if documents are other than English)
- Health certificate (at the time of arrival)
- Additional documents if required
International applicants are required to fulfill the English language requirement for the respective program. Institute accepts most of the English language test scores for the proof of English proficiency like IELTS, TOEFL IBT/CBT/PBT, MUET, CIEP at ELS.
- Candidates who don’t meet the direct admission language requirements and meet the provisional admission requirement are required to submit proof of English language proficiency within 6 months after enrolling in the programs.
- Applicants who don’t meet the language proficiency are required to enroll in the intensive English program (IEP) for enhancement of language proficiency.
According to the university's official website, the tuition fee will cost you around for the entire program is RM 24,550 to RM 2,00,000, and the estimated living cost is RM 1250 – RM 1660 per month depending upon the individual's need and lifestyle (accommodation isn’t included).
UPM offers various scholarships to international students like graduate research assistantship, Putra alumni scholarship pass, International Graduate Student Scholarship, Special graduate research allowance scheme, etc. Here are the details of top scholarships with amounts and requirements.
|Graduate research assistantship||RM 1,125 to RM 1,500 per week||enrolled in a Masters (by research) or Ph.D. program and obtain approval from the Advisor/ Chairman|
|Putra Alumni Scholarship Scheme (PASS) – International||30 % of the tuition fees for alumni children(10% tuition fee waiver for alumni)||Bachelor degree or Master's degree with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 and studying in the program by research|
|International Graduate Student Scholarship||Cover up 30% of tuition fee for 6 semesters||Master’s degree with CGPA of 3.50 and must have a research proposal|
|Special Graduate Research Allowance Scheme||RM 1,800 per month (masters) RM 2,300 per month (Ph.D.)||-|
Universiti Putra Malaysia Alumni Association (PAUPM) establishes close relationships with members with the aim of enhancing their academic intellectual, self-esteem and mutual benefits. With extensive Alumni / Member knowledge contributes to the community and national development. Moreover, for the upliftment of welfare activities of the members, the following benefits can be available by University Putra Malaysia alumni:
- Get a discount on expenses for PAUPM-supported projects/exercises.
- 20% discount on 'Green Fee' at UPM Golf Club.
- 20% off admission to EduPark UPM.
- Unique installment for the UPM library membership fee every year.
- 10% off study enrollment charge at Putra Business School (enlistment through PAUPM only).
- Discount on selected PAUPM sales items.
- Eligible to get money related help through the Tabung Alumni Prihatin.
- Rebate for horse riding class expenses at Equine Center, UPM.
- Chance to get membership of the Koperasi Alumni UPM Serdang Berhad (KOASER).
- May be selected as the Committee of UPM Alumni Association (PAUPM) at the Annual General Meeting like clockwork (Lifetime Members as it were).
Institute has great collaborations and partnerships with multiple industries and companies and regularly conducts placements fairs, placement preparation and also helps students to get the required information about the jobs and industries in Malaysia.
Here is the data about the average annual income of UPM graduates:
|Industry/program||Average Salary in RM|
|Logistics, Operations & Purchasing||3,40,751|
|IT & Software Development||95,576|
|Bachelor of Science||2,28,552|
|Bachelor of Arts||78,954|
Institute is taking care of and implementing all the Covid-19 guidelines and announced that international students who are visiting the campus must take RT-PCR Covid-19 test 3 days before leaving for Malaysia to enter the country. The Malaysian government has banned the entry of students of India and other countries due to the huge spread of coronavirus. Students need to pay the fixed amount of fees of quarantine and test during visiting Malaysia. Students need to follow step by step process of entry requirements in Malaysia. Visit the official website for more information regarding the covid-19 update.
Ques. When is the next intake session of Universiti Putra Malaysia?
Ans. Institute offers semester-wise programs and open portals to accept applications in the month of April and October. The next intake deadline is 17 June 2021 (program by research), October 22, 2021 for first semester, April 1, 2022 for second semester.
Ques. Does Universiti Putra Malaysia offer any accommodation facility?
Ans. Yes, the institute offers multiple on-campus accommodation facilities to international students. Institute offers single and double resident shared rooms in the residence hall as well as in separate furnished houses.
Ques. In UPM provides any financial aid to international students?
Ans. Yes, the institute offers multiple scholarships in the form of financial aid to best-performing international students. Institute offers scholarships like graduate research assistantship, Putra alumni scholarship pass, International Graduate Student Scholarship, Special graduate research allowance scheme, etc.
Ques. What is the procedure to avail of the scholarship at UPM?
Ans. Applicants must enroll in the relevant program and meet the eligibility requirements of the scholarship. Applicants are not availing any other scholarship. Applicants need to apply for scholarship before the deadline with completely filled form to avail of the scholarship.
Ques. What are the other entry requirements UPM needs?
Ans. Applicants need to meet the specific program-wise requirements and for some programs, applicants need to pass the interview. Students also need to provide the financial statement for the program.
Ques. What are the campus facilities available at UPM Malaysia?
Ans. Institute has two fully-fledged campuses equipped with all the facilities like lecture rooms, seminar halls, library facilities, health center, transportation facility, auditorium, sports court and clubs, gym and swimming pool, cafeteria, baking facility, etc.
Ques. What if I’ll unable to prove my English language proficiency at UPM?
Ans. Institute has multiple English language requirements on the basis of level. If a candidate doesn’t meet the regular requirement but meets the provisional one then-candidate is required to submit the language proficiency within 6 months after enrolment. If a candidate doesn’t meet any of the top requirement then he/she need to enroll in intensive English program (IEP) to enhance the language proficiency.
Ques. What are the rules for international students to enter UPM?
Ans. Students are required to first submit the RT-PCR test of Covid. The candidate also needs to pay the quarantine and test fees at the time of visiting the campus. The candidate must check his country in the banned countries list of Malaysia.
Ques. How much it cost me to study at UPM Malaysia?
Ans. It depends upon your need and expenses. However, living at UPM will cost you around RM 1250 – RM 1660 per month (excluded accommodation) and tuition fees will range from RM 24,000 to RM 2,00,00 for the entire program.
Find a Program
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA ACCOMMODATION
University Putra Malaysia has a student population of around 24,000, with an international intake of around 4,500 students. UPM accepts 1,300 inbound exchange students and sending about the same for overseas studies. UPM provides accomodation and a transit point for international students. The accommodation residences are located inside and outside the campus. International students are advised to reserve their accommodation before arriving at the campus as rooms are limited in number. The general cost of accommodation varies from RM 300 to RM 1000.
University Putra Malaysia In Campus Accommodation
International Residential College
- Residential colleges are comfortable facilities with easy access to in and around campus.
- The residence is located near the International Center of the campus.
- Facilities like kitchen party, TV rooms, study rooms, meeting rooms, activity rooms, prayer rooms, ICT room, cafeteria and laundry are available in the UPM residence.
Charges for the International Residential College at UPM are as follows:
|Type of Room||Daily Charge (RM)||Monthly Charge (RM)|
|Single Room With Conditioner||20||600|
|Single Room Without Conditioner||18||540|
|Sharing Room With Conditioner||10||300|
|Sharing Room Without Conditioner||9||270|
Ibnu Battuta House (IBH)/ International Transit House
- Transit houses are temporary dwelling for international students.
- Located near they Staff House UPM
- Provides 160 complete apartments with furniture and home appliances
- Limited only 11 months
- Charge Rate per weeek- RM 250
- Charge rate per month- RM 1000
University Putra Malaysia Outside Campus Accommodation
Off campus accommodations are also available for UPM students around 1kn-10km radium. Flats, service apartments, condominiums and terrace houses can easily be rented. The average cost for off campus UPM accommodation is RM 500- RM 2000. UPM also has an outside campus accommodation for international students:
Taman Desaminium Apartment
- Frequency UPM campus bus only 30 minutes
- Located at the distance of 15 minutes from UPM campus
- Provides 100 apartments
|Full charge with equipment||RM 650 / Month|
|Full charge with equipment||RM 500 / Month|
Student transportation facility inside and outside can=mpus is available for students via UPM Bus Service. Approximate fee for unlimited rides per semester is RM 60.
UNIVERSITI PUTRA MALAYSIA RANKINGS
University Putra Malaysia has been progressing in international profiling, making to the top fold of ranking agencies. UPM has improved its position with each passing year achieving excellence in international reputation and standing.
- UPM made it to the first time in “QS top 50 under 50” in 2014 at the 38th spot. In 2020 it holds 10th position as the best university under 50 years old category.
- UPM climbed 43 places in Times Higher Education Asia Ranking 2020, placed at 145th position, compared to 188th in 2019.
- The university ranks highest among Best Malaysian universities in research indicators which include publication volume, citation reputation, and revenue from research. The achievements recognize UPM as a world-renowned research university.
University Putra Malaysia Global Ranking
Universiti Putra Malaysia maintains its traditional role of investing in tertiary level research in agriculture and relevant fields. Over the years, the university has expanded its scope in the fields of science and technology. This has led UPM to mark its presence on the global rankings with consequential improvement over the year.
The global ranking of UPM is as follows:
- QS world university Ranking 2021 spots the university at the 132nd position. This is an improvement from the 2020 ranking which placed UPM at 159th position.
- Times Higher Education ranks UPM at 601-800th position in world rankings. In terms of the impact, the university holds a 101-200th position.
- THE ranks UPM at 151-200 category for Young University Rankings.
- US News Best Global Universities, 2020 honored University Putra Malaysia at 611th position globally and 117 in Asia.
- UPM made it to QS “top 50 under 50” securing 10th position.
University Putra Malaysia Subject Wise Ranking
Universiti Putra Malaysia aspires to be the university of the next millennium and in line with its vision programs at UPM are designed to be versatile in tandem with Malaysia’s dynamic technology. Subject wise ranking of the prestigious university as per QS is as follows:
- Accounting and Finance: 151-200
- Engineering-Petroleum: 51-75
- English Language and Literature: 151-200
- Agriculture and Forestry: 51-100
- Environmental Studies: 151-200
- Accounting and Finance: 151-200
- Physics and Astronomy: 351-400
- Medicine: 251-300
- Education and Training: 151-200
- Pharmacy: 151-200
- Architecture: 151-200
- Social Science and Management: 199
University Putra Malaysia National Ranking
In a superlative display of achievement through its employs integrity, research dng=d internationalized programs, UPM is the leading university in Malaysia.
- US News Best Global Universities awards UPM 4 position at the national level.
- Unirank places UPM at 2nd top university in Malaysia, 7th in Southeast Asia, and 87th in Asia.
- CWRU World University Rankings identifies UPM as 3rd best university in Malaysia.
- Currently acquires 145th spot as per THE Asia University Rankings
Times Higher Education
Ranked #601 - #800
Ranked #301 - #400
Ranked #601 - #800
Computer Science (International)
Ranked #301 - #400
Ranked #401 - #500
View More >>
QS World University
One of the teachers at my bachelor's suggested to me this college for opting for my masters from. I explored the university online and found it interesting. I applied to the university through the official website by paying an application fee of around RM 250.
Course Curriculum :
The program aims to equip us with knowledge of theories and applications relevant to the field of corporate communication. In this program, we are exposed to the latest developments in the communication industry. Through a series of lectures and practical assignments, the program aims to contribute to a higher level of professionalism among future and current practitioners of corporate communication and professionals in the media industry.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary